Deja Vu? Locked Up's "New" XJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Deja Vu? Locked Up's "New" XJ

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 11-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #46
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

are you going to make another build thread for this one?

4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #47
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJMike20 View Post
are you going to make another build thread for this one?
This is it.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #48
flhtquick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if you don't mind keep a running total on the price of parts for us who might do the same thing or something close. thanks
flhtquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #49
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtquick View Post
if you don't mind keep a running total on the price of parts for us who might do the same thing or something close. thanks
x2 that would be awesome.

what are the plans for the jeep now a mild build?
4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #50
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
x2 that would be awesome.

what are the plans for the jeep now a mild build?
Yep. Mild.

I have to drive this everyday for work (salesman) so I really do not want to impact the mileage much if at all.

98 XJ
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #51
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

31x10.50 isnt to bad i dont really notice much of a difference in mpg and loss of power. i am averaging about 16 mpg.

any progress on the jeep?
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #52
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
31x10.50 isnt to bad i dont really notice much of a difference in mpg and loss of power. i am averaging about 16 mpg.

any progress on the jeep?
Hard to call it progress but the fuel pump check valve is getting worse.

I did call to order my suspension tonight and they said it would be after the new year till I get it. So I need to call a few more places to see if I can get one to install with my remaining vacation time this year.

98 XJ
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #53
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

should call bds-suspension the coil springs are reasonable priced and the full length aal is priced good. are you going full leaf packs or full length aal?
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #54
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #55
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got the headliner replaced by a local upholstrey guy. Nice to not be embarrased by that anymore.
I also got the fuel pump/regulator swapped out and it starts up the first time, every time now. Holy god that was annoying. Also replaced front pinion seal that was getting leaky.

Up next is U-Joint replacement up front on both sides.

Then I'm looking for a place to get the roof repainted. Seems the last PO repainted the hood and rear hatch but the roof is starting to show primer. I'm hoping to have the same guy repaint the roof and the paintable flares I got. That shuould greatly improve the appearance. Will likely have to wait until after the Jeep Jamboree this month because I need to focus on getting the TJ ready for it all!

Anyone have any ideas where I can find a replacement leather wrapped steering wheel? Mine is starting to crap out and it is sticky in my hands on humid days, which does drive me crazy.

Plans to lift this thing have been put on hold until I get the TJ "done" and get the exterior of this looking the way I want. We may also be moving come June/July so I probably won't do anything until then.

98 XJ
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #56
LobstahJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKED UP View Post
Anyone have any ideas where I can find a replacement leather wrapped steering wheel?
I have one for sale, send me a PM and we can talk about it.
LobstahJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #57
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Excited to see your build .. love your other xj ...
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #58
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

U-Joints done, steering wheel swapped out (thanks Lobstah)... So the XJ is "going to paint".

I have spent my free time the last 2 weeks tearing off trim, flares, decals, etc. It's a F'n B to get all the double sided tape and residue off. I used a heat gun, goo gone, 3M pads and eventually wet sanded with 1000 grit on those areas to smooth it out from the pads. I'm wondering if I should do a rough sand of the whole thing or if I should leave that to the shop....

I'm pretty close to "done" but still need to address the back hatch, tend to some minor nicks and remove the antenna base.
Apparently I need a special tool to remove the antenna base and a brief search yielded this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Tool-...2013c1&vxp=mtr

$62!? Seriously?

Anyone know if Autozone / Napa / O'Reilly have something for this I can rent?

98 XJ
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #59
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So why the sudden revival after 2 years?

As for the antenna. It's a factory tool, you don't need it. Worst case scenario if you can't get it yourself go to a Jeep dealership and slip a tech $10 to pop it off real quick.

Manufacturers require dealers to buy all kinds of stupid specialty tools that aren't necessary. You should see all the dumb **** we have to have for Subaru that sits unused in our tool room. We have a $5000 a/c machine for hybrids that Kia makes us keep in the shop that has literally never been used. We get maybe 5-10 hybrid Optimas in a year if that and it will be years before any of them need a/c service and most will be off the road due to the expensive batteries dying long before that anyway.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #60
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So why the sudden revival after 2 years?

As for the antenna. It's a factory tool, you don't need it. Worst case scenario if you can't get it yourself go to a Jeep dealership and slip a tech $10 to pop it off real quick.

Manufacturers require dealers to buy all kinds of stupid specialty tools that aren't necessary. You should see all the dumb **** we have to have for Subaru that sits unused in our tool room. We have a $5000 a/c machine for hybrids that Kia makes us keep in the shop that has literally never been used. We get maybe 5-10 hybrid Optimas in a year if that and it will be years before any of them need a/c service and most will be off the road due to the expensive batteries dying long before that anyway.
Last post was March 2013 but since I have been driving this daily I have not had a lot of opportunity to "play". No reason to update a build thread with oil changes. Stripping it down for paint seemed interesting enough though.

98 XJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.