Debating on lifting or not ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Debating on lifting or not ...

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Debating on lifting or not ...

So this weekend I had my first opportunity to do some minor off road stuff with the XJ. Nothing really extreme, but enough that I needed to be spotted for rocks once or twice and was up to the bumper in mud and muck. Little bit of deep snow and even got to use the tow hooks!

Probably one of the things that impressed me the most was where I had to go through mud upto the bumper and climb up a pretty steep, off camber hill.

I'm honestly extremely surprised with how well a stock XJ will do offroad. I kept up with a JK on 32'' Duratracs and a TJ on 225/75/15 Duratracs ... I have All Season Tires.

Since I didn't bottom out on anything and I don't plan on doing anything extreme ... now I'm not sure if I should go with a lift or not. Hmmm.

Pros
- I need to replace rear springs anyway
- More capability in snow and off road?
- "cool" factor
- Can run bigger tires

Cons
- Would kill gas mileage (I can squeeze 22 out of it on the highway)
- Lift and bigger tires would be harder on axle, ujoints, drive shaft, slip yoke
- $$$$$ and Jeep already needs a bit of maintenance
- Would have to buy bigger tires and thats more $$$
- Its something I would only "use" a few times a year ...

Unread 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

I would go for a 2-3 inch lift. IMO a lifted XJ looks better. Lifting more than that and you start to run into more more issue and more money. Somewhere around 4 inches you need to start looking at problems with pinion angles, lower control arms, and such. You said you need new rear springs anyway. You may want to wait till you are going to replace the tires anyway. Do a S10 leaf pack on the rear, new springs up front, new shocks, maybe a TC drop if needed but probably not and you can come out with a lift fairly cheap.
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
XJH-007

There is really no debate here....

Lift it or GTFO.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ha to lift or not to lift......what a dumb question. just kidding. but seriously.. lift it
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5son1962 View Post
I would go for a 2-3 inch lift. IMO a lifted XJ looks better. Lifting more than that and you start to run into more more issue and more money. Somewhere around 4 inches you need to start looking at problems with pinion angles, lower control arms, and such. You said you need new rear springs anyway. You may want to wait till you are going to replace the tires anyway. Do a S10 leaf pack on the rear, new springs up front, new shocks, maybe a TC drop if needed but probably not and you can come out with a lift fairly cheap.
I'll probably wait until I replace the tires, if at all. The tires only have 8000 miles on them and are still great shape. At most, I'd run 31s on it. I would want a 31x9.5 even though no one makes them

With that said, I have better things to spend the money on. Every time I set aside $500 for a lift (have to have someone install it), I end up throwing the money at my student loans.

Unfortunately, the whole bas@#$@#$d pack won't work up here in the rust belt. No S10s have decent rust-free springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007 View Post
There is really no debate here....

Lift it or GTFO.

Hey now, at least I let it play off the pavement!
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dont worry about having springs that are rust free man. I just took a wire brush on my angle grinder and cleaned them all up before i assembled my bastard pack. Check your local craigslist for parts, here on jf classifieds and other xj forums too. You can either use ur tires til their dead or sell them and use that moeny for some used 31s. A set of cragers is like 200 bucks you cant beat that for rims.

I'd either go that route or just save up as much cash and do it right the first time. Once you lift it you WILL want to go bigger there is no doubt about that. Everyone that went to 31s went to 33s and now they want 35s... I know you just got into wheeling but once it starts it doesnt stop man lol Save up as much as you can for your lift and tires, and in the meantime do all the maintenance you need to get done beforehand. All fluids should be changed, tune up, brakes, any bad u joints or hubs replaced ect. and wat ever else maintenance you said you needed before. A lifted xj is no fun if its not reliable, search the forums before you make any purchases. In the long run you will be more happy buying a new kit with all the add ons you need because you will end up getting them later on, ex: adjustable double shear trackbars. I'm just saying these things from experience and from spending way to much money redoing things 3 times wen i could have done them the first time and saved money.
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I think 90% of us on the forum said those same words in the begining " I'm only look'in to lift it 2 to 3 inches." Next month you'll be asking how to install a SYE and where to find a good D44 !!! Good luck with your build. You are showing the early symptoms of the sickness.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

dont let liftin it and bigger tires make u think your going to get back MPGs... i have 245/74/16 (about 31s) and i get normal gas mileage, 2 weeks ago i got 350 miles until my light came on!!! equaled out to about 22mpg. as long as ur foot isnt in it the MPGs wont change.

as for lifting it i say go for it! a 3" lift will amaze you!! i know mine sure does!!!

if you want some more help with making up your mind, check out my build thread!!! (link in sig)

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

IMO 4inch and 31s is the best all around combo on XJs
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Bedozx6r
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Lifting my jeep was one of the best decisions i have made. For one it looks a heck of alot nicer. Stock looked good with ATs but i lifted mine 4.5 inches and put some 33in ATs and it just made it look alot better. MPGs i dont have a problem with. I was getting 19 to 20. Now im getting 16 or 17. Not that bad with stock gears. Yeah if you do lift it higher than 3 inches you are going to run into more places that you need to upgrade. I used mine as a daily driver and when i go camping and hunting. I opted for the 4.5 x series lift from Rough Country just cause i knew what it intailed and what i had funds available for. I have stock gears and stock steering and it does just fine on and off road so far. Yeah i do want to upgrade but thats the main word "uograde" lol. Do what you can afford. We dont want you hating your jeep cause you lifted it so much and its costing more money that what you expected. Theres people that have thousands and thousands of money in there XJs. I myself have 3000 excluding the cost for the jeep in it. But thats over the last 2 years of owning it. The most expensive parts were the lift and tires. I say LIFT IT. Go big or go home. But not everyones pocket book can afford everything at once. Upgrade as you go. Its fun and you learn more of what your XJ can do while you work and play with it.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Bedozx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
AoA
1997 XJ Cherokee 

LIFT OR
93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Miller, I have boxes and BOXES of used XJ stuff. PM if your interested in some armour or lift pieces
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm ... I might do a lift. I really like tall, narrow tire look. I guess 31x9.5 would be 245/75-16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Miller, I have boxes and BOXES of used XJ stuff. PM if your interested in some armour or lift pieces
I'll shoot a PM your way. I plan on doing at least something to the jeep this summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedozx6r View Post
Lifting my jeep was one of the best decisions i have made. For one it looks a heck of alot nicer. Stock looked good with ATs but i lifted mine 4.5 inches and put some 33in ATs and it just made it look alot better. MPGs i dont have a problem with. I was getting 19 to 20. Now im getting 16 or 17. Not that bad with stock gears. Yeah if you do lift it higher than 3 inches you are going to run into more places that you need to upgrade. I used mine as a daily driver and when i go camping and hunting. I opted for the 4.5 x series lift from Rough Country just cause i knew what it intailed and what i had funds available for. I have stock gears and stock steering and it does just fine on and off road so far. Yeah i do want to upgrade but thats the main word "uograde" lol. Do what you can afford. We dont want you hating your jeep cause you lifted it so much and its costing more money that what you expected. Theres people that have thousands and thousands of money in there XJs. I myself have 3000 excluding the cost for the jeep in it. But thats over the last 2 years of owning it. The most expensive parts were the lift and tires. I say LIFT IT. Go big or go home. But not everyones pocket book can afford everything at once. Upgrade as you go. Its fun and you learn more of what your XJ can do while you work and play with it.
Part of it is I don't have anywhere to work I'm an apartment dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
I think 90% of us on the forum said those same words in the begining " I'm only look'in to lift it 2 to 3 inches." Next month you'll be asking how to install a SYE and where to find a good D44 !!! Good luck with your build. You are showing the early symptoms of the sickness.

Every time I stop at a stop light I want to do a SYE.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.