"death wobble" and Steering Damper / stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > "death wobble" and Steering Damper / stabilizer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

"death wobble" and Steering Damper / stabilizer

I have been seeing many people post "Changing the steering damper does not fix problems with suspension and big bumps making you feel as if your fish tailing. I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I noticed I had some symptoms of "Death Wobble" when I would hit 2-3 decent sized potholes and begin wobbling side to side.

I went to autozone and bought a Gabriel steering damper and spent around 30 minutes whacking away at the bolts and macing myself with PB Blaster while laying under the jeep trying to get the bolts off and the damper out. a 2 man job by myself. Anyways, I drove down the dirt road that usually makes me feel as if my shocks are completely dysfunctional and causes my jeep to feel as if its about to slide off the road from such horrible side to side wobble in the front end. I was amazed, I felt absolutely no wobble and my suspension as a whole was improved beyond belief.

So to people who are having "death wobble" that is only temporary directly after hitting bumps, this is most likely your cause, but if you have constant wobbles after hitting a bump or washboard roads and it does not stop once the road becomes smooth its most likely much more serious problems with your steering components.

calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.