DD tires with a little beef? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > DD tires with a little beef?

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Closed Thread
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Watch your tone when dealing with someone who is trying to advise you on a topic that you asked for advice on.

Yes, there certainly IS a way--both in hell and here in the real world, buddy. 22 mpg is about as good as it gets for a lifted XJ on the highway, and if you go to even bigger, more aggressive tires, whatever you get will be worse. You can acquire a 30-40 mpg vehicle for relative pennies (AND resell it when you no longer need it), and if you're driving between CO and IL often enough, it will pay for itself in savings almost certainly before you're done with school--maybe even within the first year or two if you drive home a lot.

I understand that you go wheeling; it's not like I'm telling you to get rid of your XJ--you can still go wheeling--I'm telling you to consider getting a 2nd vehicle for your school commute. If you want to go wheeling both while at home and at school, I guess you need to drive the XJ. You're going to have to figure-out what you need and what you're willing to sacrifice in choosing a tire. Sent from my phone
The only component that I think would hinder the paying it off that our Buddy is referring to is probably the extra insurance an under 25 male would get plus maintenance. but that would depend on buddy's driving history and stuff too.

- Build Thread -
Unread 08-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #32
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
Watch your tone when dealing with someone who is trying to advise you on a topic that you asked for advice on. Yes, there certainly IS a way--both in hell and here in the real world, buddy. 22 mpg is about as good as it gets for a lifted XJ on the highway, and if you go to even bigger, more aggressive tires, whatever you get will be worse. You can acquire a 30-40 mpg vehicle for relative pennies (AND resell it when you no longer need it), and if you're driving between CO and IL often enough, it will pay for itself in savings almost certainly before you're done with school--maybe even within the first year or two if you drive home a lot. I understand that you go wheeling; it's not like I'm telling you to get rid of your XJ--you can still go wheeling--I'm telling you to consider getting a 2nd vehicle for your school commute. If you want to go wheeling both while at home and at school, I guess you need to drive the XJ. You're going to have to figure-out what you need and what you're willing to sacrifice in choosing a tire. Sent from my phone
apologies, didn't mean for it to come across like that, but no, it isn't possible because I'm a college kid who is only able to bring my car out because my grandparents have a house there where I can store my car. I can't drive two cars out there because I'm only one person, and I've just spent 100 hours and countless dollars of my already meager savings on this car converting it from 2wd to 4wd, I cant pay for license plates and registration and insurance and gas and maintenance for two cars as well as a parking permit.
Unread 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #33
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmtb View Post
apologies, didn't mean for it to come across like that, but no, it isn't possible because I'm a college kid who is only able to bring my car out because my grandparents have a house there where I can store my car. I can't drive two cars out there because I'm only one person, and I've just spent 100 hours and countless dollars of my already meager savings on this car converting it from 2wd to 4wd, I cant pay for license plates and registration and insurance and gas and maintenance for two cars as well as a parking permit.
Plates, registration, insurance...they're all tiny and would be paid for by the gas savings you'd accumulate driving an efficient vehicle. You could buy said vehicle in CO. Your XJ would be in CO with you, and you'd have the gas-sipper to drive home when you need to.

You're worried about plates, registration, and insurance on a compact, but you're willing to drive an XJ that gets 22 or less MPG 2000 miles on multiple occasions???? I mean, if you don't want to or can't do a commuter car, that's totally fine. I have no intentions of continuing to push it on you given that you understand what I'm suggesting but can't or won't go that route regardless, but you shoot-down the single best way for your to SAVE money by saying you can't afford it, so I'm not sure you're grasping the idea very well.

If you want to make the drive, still go wheeling, and handle the conditions of 4 seasons of CO, IL, and everywhere in between all with one tire on one vehicle, you WILL have to compromise something. I'd personally direct you to an AT such as Firestone, Hercules, Cooper, General.... there are lots of AT tire discussions around. My personal pick of the AT litter for you would probably be Firestone. All of them are weak in the winter compared to a true winter tire (I'm not even about to try suggesting that to you), but decent for non-winter specific tires. The Firestones are quiet, long-lasting, mild enough not to suck too much gas, and have great traction but will suffer in mud. Really, all AT's suffer in the mud overall anyway. Hercules would be better in the winter and a little better in nastier offroad conditions and maybe as fuel efficient. General would be better in really rugged terrain and OK in winter but perhaps less fuel efficient. Cooper is a solid all-arounder which can even do OK in a little mud while maybe being as fuel efficient as Firestone.

If you want a solid tire that is serviceable in many ways for dirt cheap, try Goodyear Wrangler Radial. SUPER cheap price with very decent performance. It's not the best at anything, not terribly fuel efficient, and demands caution in heavy rain, but the price is quite nice. I have them on my work truck. Kumho AT KL78 is another AT tire for a great price (and does alright in winter), but it's not going to be the most efficient or quiet--it's meant to see the dirt a little more often than the occasional weekend. If you want to go nuts and go for something that can tackle offroad and winter well at the cost of road manners (road manners are still fine, though), Duratracs could be your friend.
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #34
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Just got my first set of Duratracs (in a load range E) for my tow rig F150. I need all the highway manners I can get, but also have been known to get off the pavement while pulling a heavy trailer. They're better on the highway than I was expecting; downright nice actually. I hope they stay tight as they wear. Haven't had them off road enough to post testimony but I've seen enough tires in mud to feel confident I'll not be disappointed in these treads. They're only rated 45k mi though in comparison to 33% more from many ATs, and now redhorse has me wondering how long they're going to last.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #35
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Choosing tires is like choosing carry gun caliber, a world of compromise.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #36
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

And finding the best fit for one's needs is kinda like finding the perfect pair of boots.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #37
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj
And finding the best fit for one's needs is kinda like finding the perfect pair of boots.
Or boobs.
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #38
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post
Or boobs.
too true
- Build Thread -
Unread 08-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #39
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, throw boots out of the comparison. They're the only ones that get better the more miles they have on them.
Unread 08-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #40
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

edit* 'beauts'.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #41
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

*grin*
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
jeepjunkie97

Seems like my friend and his honda getting ~35-40 mpg is superior... But does anyone have experience with dick cepek mud country's on the road? I've read the get good life, 50k plus but road noise wise is what I'm curious about
Unread 08-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #43
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj
Just got my first set of Duratracs (in a load range E) for my tow rig F150. I need all the highway manners I can get, but also have been known to get off the pavement while pulling a heavy trailer. They're better on the highway than I was expecting; downright nice actually. I hope they stay tight as they wear. Haven't had them off road enough to post testimony but I've seen enough tires in mud to feel confident I'll not be disappointed in these treads. They're only rated 45k mi though in comparison to 33% more from many ATs, and now redhorse has me wondering how long they're going to last.
Chris I'm sure up in Indy you'll be fine. My buddy in Toledo recommended duratracs to me and he has almost 30k on his. However. 90* plus weather with 90% humidity year round keeps Guam roads toasty. Warm roads with warm soft compound tires provides great traction at the cost of tire wear. But in the mud, sand, and gravel. These sons a guns bite and claw and scratch. Then they clean themselves up and do it all again. I'm just a little annoyed that I paid for these less than a year ago and I'm already back in the tire market. Sorry to come off sounding like no one should own them. If I get stationed up in Alaska next, I'll buy another set for my next jeep or my truck.
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #44
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Decided to go with the Cooper AT3, thanks for all your help guys.
Unread 08-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #45
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmtb View Post
Decided to go with the Cooper AT3, thanks for all your help guys.
What size? 235? 30? 31???

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.