DD tires with a little beef? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > DD tires with a little beef?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
I've got a buddy that really likes his BFG KM2s as a DD
Same here. And I like my MT/Rs for DD

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Guys, guys, guys! The best choice is clearly a new pair of Destination Firestones!

Unread 08-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
I've got a buddy that really likes his BFG KM2s as a DD
Apart from packed snow around freezing point or slightly above it during winter, they work pretty damn well year-round on the road for a "medium aggressive MT". Even handling is suprisingly good. I haven't really had any issues with them during past four years, of which two winters were pretty bad (~60" total snowfall during winter). Good on the trails as well

I would also highly recommend GY Wrangler Duratrac's. I have no personal experience on them, but have heard only good things about them for mostly street use year-round. Should be among the best snow tires of the non-specific dedicated snow/ winter tires.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube
Guys, guys, guys! The best choice is clearly a new pair of Destination Firestones!
Well, if this guy just wanted the best DD street tire, yes, those LE2's are up there with Michelin MS2 and General HTS. I know you thought you were joking, but for only a slightly different person, you gave excellent advice.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Had them stock. Good in the snow and not half bad off road (for a street tire).
Glad to hear it! For $92 each including delivery, they are a deal IMO.
Amesbear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesbear View Post
Glad to hear it! For $92 each including delivery, they are a deal IMO.
Dad got mine for $60/tire, mounted and balanced.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Well, if this guy just wanted the best DD street tire, yes, those LE2's are up there with Michelin MS2, General HTS, and Kumho Solus. I know you thought you were joking, but for only a slightly different person, you gave excellent advice.

Sent from my phone
im going to have to agree with this... id go LE2s or the destination ats. get them a tad larger than stock and call it a day. i know the LE2 is a high all-season, but they do have a somewhat agressive/modern tread pattern to them and all the reviews i have read have been positive as hell.

the destination is a tried and true a/t, with little to no complaints from owners.

check out hercules tires too, the terra trac II is a nice tire
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #23
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Well, if this guy just wanted the best DD street tire, yes, those LE2's are up there with Michelin MS2 and General HTS. I know you thought you were joking, but for only a slightly different person, you gave excellent advice.

Sent from my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
im going to have to agree with this... id go LE2s or the destination ats. get them a tad larger than stock and call it a day. i know the LE2 is a high all-season, but they do have a somewhat agressive/modern tread pattern to them and all the reviews i have read have been positive as hell.

the destination is a tried and true a/t, with little to no complaints from owners.

check out hercules tires too, the terra trac II is a nice tire
Tires I approve of fully in this particular case from mild to aggressive:

Firestone LE2
General HTS
Michelin MS2
Firestone AT
Hercules AT2
Cooper AT3
General AT2
Goodyear Duratrac

OP, if you want "beef" in terms of size, that's just a matter of buying a larger size. Assuming your XJ is a 4.0 auto, you have 3:55 gearing and can do 30x9.5 well enough or even 31" tires decentish (I'd personally regear for 31" myself, though) assuming you have the clearance for them. Bigger than that and very few people are happy without regearing (and lifting, trimming, bumpstopping are mandatory). The larger and/or the more aggressive the tire, the more your XJ will guzzle the gas.

If I was having to do a CO to IL drive on a regular basis with an XJ, I would not be using an aggressive tire at all. The XJ is already a thirsty vehicle--no need to throw even more $$ away on gas if I could avoid it. If you don't go wheeling with your XJ, use one of the first three tires I listed. They'll save you TONS of money in gas in the not-so-long-run.

P.S. If I was driving between CO and IL often, I wouldn't be using a 3" lifted XJ at all. I'd get a much more fuel efficient vehicle to use. Purchased at a good enough price, the thing would probably come close to paying for itself depending on how often that trip is made. Or I'd use a bus/train/plane to get to and from home when necessary. Making that drive often with an XJ is just plain dumb for a college kit imo, but maybe you're a rich kid who doesn't need to worry about money like others do
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #24
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Dad got mine for $60/tire, mounted and balanced.
DAY-UM! You win.

Amesbear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #25
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej
My buddy has them on his Dakota and they're quite literally the worst tires I've ever seen. Their grip in rain is appalling at best, they're even worse in snow. In four wheel drive, he gets stuck on wet grass. Definitely avoid them. Now, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Duratracs? Amazing in the snow, excellent off road, and they're not quite an MT.
Duratracs are garbage in warm weather. Barely got 15k miles out of mine. They are soft compound and I'm sure they are great in cold climates and such. But if you live someplace warm year round. I'd avoid them.
redXJhorse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #26
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe an alternative brand like hercules?

Their tera trac and trail diggers get great reviews and are aggressively priced. I have all tracs because they were cheap, and they are are a great daily driver tire and I've had them off road a few times and they have held up just fine
aroundincircles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
Tires I approve of fully in this particular case from mild to aggressive: Firestone LE2 General HTS Michelin MS2 Firestone AT Hercules AT2 Cooper AT3 General AT2 Goodyear Duratrac OP, if you want "beef" in terms of size, that's just a matter of buying a larger size. Assuming your XJ is a 4.0 auto, you have 3:55 gearing and can do 30x9.5 well enough or even 31" tires decentish (I'd personally regear for 31" myself, though) assuming you have the clearance for them. Bigger than that and very few people are happy without regearing (and lifting, trimming, bumpstopping are mandatory). The larger and/or the more aggressive the tire, the more your XJ will guzzle the gas. If I was having to do a CO to IL drive on a regular basis with an XJ, I would not be using an aggressive tire at all. The XJ is already a thirsty vehicle--no need to throw even more $$ away on gas if I could avoid it. If you don't go wheeling with your XJ, use one of the first three tires I listed. They'll save you TONS of money in gas in the not-so-long-run. P.S. If I was driving between CO and IL often, I wouldn't be using a 3" lifted XJ at all. I'd get a much more fuel efficient vehicle to use. Purchased at a good enough price, the thing would probably come close to paying for itself depending on how often that trip is made. Or I'd use a bus/train/plane to get to and from home when necessary. Making that drive often with an XJ is just plain dumb for a college kit imo, but maybe you're a rich kid who doesn't need to worry about money like others do
Buddy, there's no way in hell buying a second car would be cheaper. I get 22mpg on the highway with my lifted xj, and it's way cheaper than a plane ticket. And I do plan do some not-hardcore wheeling, I'm going out to crested butte in a week to do some camping
bpmtb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmtb View Post
Buddy, there's no way in hell buying a second car would be cheaper. I get 22mpg on the highway with my lifted xj, and it's way cheaper than a plane ticket. And I do plan do some not-hardcore wheeling, I'm going out to crested butte in a week to do some camping
If you don't mind their volume, Goodyear MT/Rs are awesome. I run em. And at 3.5" lift and 33s I've gotten 22 MPG highway. I don't anymore since I've weighed my XJ down a bit and ruined the aerodynamics, but I still get about 18-19 which ain't half bad for a shoe box.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #29
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmtb
Watch your tone when dealing with someone who is trying to advise you on a topic that you asked for advice on.

Yes, there certainly IS a way--both in hell and here in the real world, buddy. 22 mpg is about as good as it gets for a lifted XJ on the highway, and if you go to even bigger, more aggressive tires, whatever you get will be worse. You can acquire a 30-40 mpg vehicle for relative pennies (AND resell it when you no longer need it), and if you're driving between CO and IL often enough, it will pay for itself in savings almost certainly before you're done with school--maybe even within the first year or two if you drive home a lot.

I understand that you go wheeling; it's not like I'm telling you to get rid of your XJ--you can still go wheeling--I'm telling you to consider getting a 2nd vehicle for your school commute. If you want to go wheeling both while at home and at school, I guess you need to drive the XJ. You're going to have to figure-out what you need and what you're willing to sacrifice in choosing a tire. Sent from my phone
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #30
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know what part of CO you're going to be in, but you can certainly fly Denver to Chicago round trip for a good bit less than the cost of gas for an XJ. I've got about 2000 miles for the round trip which at 20mpg and $3.50 a gallon comes out at $350. Checked google flights and all over the calendar (great app btw) and didn't see anything approaching that amount even around the holidays. If you're talking college hell I only went to school 200 miles from home and didn't drive back more than a few times a year.....well, once I no longer had a home grown piece of tail that is.
SSellers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
daily driver , tires , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.