DD tires with a little beef? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > DD tires with a little beef?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Closed Thread
Unread 08-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

DD tires with a little beef?

I currently have a set of Nokian tires which I love, but I just lifted my xj 3" and theyre looking a little small in the wheel wells. The measurement I see on the side says 235/75R15 105T and when I measured yesterday the diameter came out to 27&3/4". I'm going to college in Colorado and I'l be doing a lot of commuting back to Illinois so 31 mud tires are out of the question, but I would like my tire to be a little larger with a little beef to them just to fill out those wheel wells and complete the lift. I just want minimal road noise. Oh and if possible I'd like to keep my stock rims, I really like the look of the Limited's. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of snow tires because its Colorado.

Any input would be appreciated!

Unread 08-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Actually 235s are close to 29" maybe it's because it's compressed? BFG all terrain always had very good reputation.
Unread 08-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU
Actually 235s are close to 29" maybe it's because it's compressed? BFG all terrain always had very good reputation.
ive heard of those. The ATs have enough beef to fit the look of a lifted XJ?
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm only 24 but I just got confused about people talk sometimes. What do you mean by beef? Here is mine 3 inch lift on 32" but I trimester fender like crazy.
image-900603077.jpg

Unread 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU
Well I'm only 24 but I just got confused about people talk sometimes. What do you mean by beef? Here is mine 3 inch lift on 32" but I trimester fender like crazy.
by beef I mean tread, I don't want city slicks but I don't want a trail specific tire either. My only issue with a trail tire is the road noise and gas mileage
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cooper Discoverer A/T3
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmtb View Post
ive heard of those. The ATs have enough beef to fit the look of a lifted XJ?
They may have a good reputation (most likely dating from the 80s or whenever they were designed and tehre were no better alternatives ), but they are by no means even close to best ATs around. Depends on your use and requirements though. Their snow and ice grip is apalling, wet pavement grip is medium at best, and they only do good on dry rocks or sand when wheeling. Their best qualities are the fairly cheap price, and they last forever on the road.

There are many better alternatives available when purchasing ATs, from pretty aggressive to more like street tires. You might want to search for threads about ATs, there are a gazillion of those threads on this forum. Don't look just on the XJ section, look for Wrangler and Grand Cherokee section as well. Even though they are a different platform, the tire recommendations are pretty much the same. Look for a load range "C" tire, "D" range tires tend to be fairly noisy and hard under a light vehicle like an XJ.

Quote:
by beef I mean tread, I don't want city slicks but I don't want a trail specific tire either. My only issue with a trail tire is the road noise and gas mileage
I've been running BFG MT KM2 32 x 11.50s on my niner for the past four years. I don't think you will notice more than .5-1mpg difference in gas mileage between ATs and the generic MTs people use. Unless you buy a full-out bias- ply tires, MPG isn't really gonna be that much different betweeen ATs and MTs. You definitely notice MPG difference between MTs and street tires though.. As far as road noise goes, my MTs make less rumble on the streets than the OEM- installed tires on my moms '11 VW Golf

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
bpmtb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone have any experience with BFG Rugged Terrain T/A?
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with BFG Rugged Terrain T/A?
My buddy has them on his Dakota and they're quite literally the worst tires I've ever seen. Their grip in rain is appalling at best, they're even worse in snow. In four wheel drive, he gets stuck on wet grass. Definitely avoid them.

Now, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Duratracs? Amazing in the snow, excellent off road, and they're not quite an MT.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej

My buddy has them on his Dakota and they're quite literally the worst tires I've ever seen. Their grip in rain is appalling at best, they're even worse in snow. In four wheel drive, he gets stuck on wet grass. Definitely avoid them.

Now, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Duratracs? Amazing in the snow, excellent off road, and they're not quite an MT.
Gotta say I never tried bFG myself. Hand good year wrangler until my mud king takers over.
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've got Kumho tires on my 96 XJ and I like them. I haven't had them in snow yet but for a DD, I think they'll be OK. They are fairly cheap and have a 85,000 mile warranty.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=025243&cs=225

Not very "beefy" but they ride nice.
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesbear View Post
I've got Kumho tires on my 96 XJ and I like them. I haven't had them in snow yet but for a DD, I think they'll be OK. They are fairly cheap and have a 85,000 mile warranty.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=025243&cs=225

Not very "beefy" but they ride nice.
Had them stock. Good in the snow and not half bad off road (for a street tire).

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Unread 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

OP -

Check out Goodyear Wrangler Authorities.

Basically the exact same tire as Duratracs. Great tire for all purpose.. cheaper than Duratracs too.

You can only get them from WalMart.

I've had them on my WK for around 30K miles. Driven, towed, wheeled extensively all around.

Great tire for the money!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
Unread 08-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
OP -

Check out Goodyear Wrangler Authorities.

Basically the exact same tire as Duratracs. Great tire for all purpose.. cheaper than Duratracs too.

You can only get them from WalMart.

I've had them on my WK for around 30K miles. Driven, towed, wheeled extensively all around.

Great tire for the money!
X2, ran then in 31s on a previous XJ, was very pleased.

They only go up to 31" on a 15" wheel, and 265/75 on a 16 (last I checked), so if you want bigger than that go Duratracs.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a buddy that really likes his BFG KM2s as a DD
- Build Thread -

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.