danlikescoldbeer's 99 XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > danlikescoldbeer's 99 XJ Build

FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire

Unread 02-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
danlikescoldbeer

danlikescoldbeer's 99 XJ Build

I figured I would post my build progress...

Bought a month ago, 1999 XJ 4-door Sport in Chili Pepper Red with 193k. Runs great but has some damage from a fender bender on the header panel and passenger front fender. This is my second vehicle and mostly a woods truck or to take on IBSP to surf fish.

Right away I ordered a new header panel, grill, and lights. They arrived in black so I picked up some Duplicolor chili pepper paint and clear coat. The paint worked good, not an exact match, but pretty close.

I also flushed the cooling system, changed plugs, and valve cover gasket as well as a few other odds and ends.

My future plans are:

4.5" RC X-series lift (ordered)
Shackle Relocation Kit (ordered)
33" AT Tires (have already)
33" MT Tires
Raptor Line Rockers
Trim Fenders
CB
Much More...

Unread 02-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
danlikescoldbeer

Since I had damage to the fender and the flare was broken and knew I wanted 33's I went ahead and cut the fenders. For the front I just cut along the bent flare and the rear I cut and folded. Went much better than I had hoped and was fairly easy with the jigsaw. I have some rust behind the passenger side bumper cover so I will be Raptorlining the whole rear quarter panel and rockers. To trim the front I will be using black door edging. Tomorrow I plan to cut the front bumper on an angle and will maybe Raptorline the front and rear bumper when I do the spraying.

Also the rear suspension is all off. The lift should be here next week.

Tomorrow plans are the front bumper cut and installing the CB I picked up.
Unread 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Subbed. Can't wait to see where this one goes. Good luck!
Unread 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to sell that right front factory fender flare PM me.
SmashDN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
danlikescoldbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Subbed. Can't wait to see where this one goes. Good luck!
Thanks! And thanks for all the help
Unread 02-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
danlikescoldbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashDN View Post
If you want to sell that right front factory fender flare PM me.
I was going to try to sell the four as a set with some of the hardware. I would rather not ship them but if they offers right I wouldn't mind. They have normal wear for a 17 year old truck. The front passenger side has two small holes that the previous owner zip tied the flare back on after the fender bender.

All the white stuff is bird poop, I had a infestation of black crows in the neighborhood. It's everywhere!
Unread 02-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
danlikescoldbeer

Shackle relocation kit showed up today and the lift kit will be in tomorrow. Hopefully this weekend I will get some time to install part of it.

Yesterday I got some random things done after dropping the kids off at school and running errands.

Got the front bumper cut until I can get a set of bumpers. Just need to find a good spot for the vacuum.

I put the 33's tires on the front for now just to see if I would need backspacing. Made a huge improvement on appearance even without the lift. I will save up or try to find a used set of MT tires. My buddy is going to 37's on his JK so I may take the 35's he has.

Got the CB installed. Went with a Uniden Bearcat 680 because of looks and it fit right in between the visors. I can't stand the look of most of the CB's on the market, they all look old to me. I used a piece of angle iron and cut it up, spray painted it, and mounted it using the visor clips so I didn't have to drill new holes.

For the antenna I went with a 3' Firestik and the mount is the JCR Antenna Mount.

Unread 02-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! Imho i hated 35's on 3.55's. Went back to 33's until i get geared up.
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #9
blu92in99
I hate everyone, equally

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Coming along nicely!

FWIW - I have a NOS XJ front grille in Chili Pepper Red sitting in my shed. Bought it because it was listed as Flame Red, doh! Seller had the wrong pics an everything. Anyway, if you're interested shoot me a PM with an offer.

'98 XJ - lift, lockers, tires, flares...the usual crap
'00 Softail - pipes, apes, chrome bits...more of the usual crap
'08 Versa - econobox du jour
blu92in99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #10
danlikescoldbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu92in99 View Post
Coming along nicely!

FWIW - I have a NOS XJ front grille in Chili Pepper Red sitting in my shed. Bought it because it was listed as Flame Red, doh! Seller had the wrong pics an everything. Anyway, if you're interested shoot me a PM with an offer.
Thanks, how much are you looking to get for it? If the price is right I may pull the trigger.
Unread Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #11
blu92in99
I hate everyone, equally

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly just looking to get back what I paid, $100. Probably cost ~$30 for shipping to NJ.

How do you like that JCR antenna mount? Been looking at that for my '98.
blu92in99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.