'Dangerous Jeeps' on Change.org - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 'Dangerous Jeeps' on Change.org

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

'Dangerous Jeeps' on Change.org

So this lady saw a Jeep get slammed in the rear end and says that makes a Jeep dangerous? As far as I know quite a few models of cars have a rear located gas tank. Should we ban those too?
Links:

http://www.change.org/dangerousjeeps

And the story
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/06/us/jeep-crash/index.html

Im very angry about this. A few freak accidents and suddenly its a dangerous car?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
go-big
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohn92
So this lady saw a Jeep get slammed in the rear end and says that makes a Jeep dangerous? As far as I know quite a few models of cars have a rear located gas tank. Should we ban those too?
Links:

http://www.change.org/dangerousjeeps

And the story
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/06/us/jeep-crash/index.html

Im very angry about this. A few freak accidents and suddenly its a dangerous car?
Lmao what about the pinto ? Suburban ? Mustang corvette ? Just a couple lol what a joke
go-big is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

The NHTSA has been saying they're dangerous for several years now, but the fact is the odds of a tank igniting from a rear impact are one in several millions and it's only happened a handful of times. The claims are absurd and unfounded and it would literally be cheaper for Chrysler to buy back every Jeep under the "recall" than to try to relocate the gas tanks.

They met the standards at the time and the standards they're pushing for now are so absurd that they're the reason why we have dumb bull**** like the 2014 Cherokee.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Its a shame now that Fiat owns Chrysler and is no more. We wont be seeing the same quality of offroad specs of 4x4 ever gain maybe..? This is just a biased opinion on unfounded data.
Built not bought.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohn92 View Post
Its a shame now that Fiat owns Chrysler and is no more. We wont be seeing the same quality of offroad specs of 4x4 ever gain maybe..? This is just a biased opinion on unfounded data.
Chrysler still exists, Fiat merely owns a majority holding in them like Chrysler did with AMC. Chrysler never did anything for 4x4 or offroading other than bastardize old Jeep and AMC designs and make a few packages better than their original Chrysler counterparts.

That being said, there may be hope under Fiat. The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee Trailhawk packages are promising and they've improved Dodge and reinvented Ram trucks as their own brand while retaining their most positive aspects. They've also hinted at Diesel Jeeps and a pickup based on the Wrangler and JK8 package.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
They met the standards at the time
Exactly. The vehicles met the standards in place when they were built, and the NHTSA and various "action" groups are trying to apply current standards that didn't go into effect until 2008 retroactively. Aside from that these collisions involved extremely high impact forces (such as a semi hitting a stopped Jeep at 60MPH+) that even exceeded current standards in 78% of the cases.

Here's Chrysler's response, I definitely have to side with Chrysler on this one.
http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Inve...0413Facebook11
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the story. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...call-vehicles/

My solution to the whole thing is to just give each owner who is worried about this incident a free gas tank skid. I mean, what does it cost to mold a piece of steel now a days. Hell, it may lead to a few jobs.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I like that idea a heck of a lot more than tarnishing the good Jeep name.
Built not bought.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My solution is to tell people to man-up and realize that driving a vehicle on the road is an inherently dangerous thing, and that "**** happens" when two 4000lbs vehicles are slammed into each other, and that they should count themselves lucky they don't drive one of the jeeps that bursts into flames without even being hit first (the JKs)
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Exactly. The vehicles met the standards in place when they were built, and the NHTSA and various "action" groups are trying to apply current standards that didn't go into effect until 2008 retroactively. Aside from that these collisions involved extremely high impact forces (such as a semi hitting a stopped Jeep at 60MPH+) that even exceeded current standards in 78% of the cases.

Here's Chrysler's response, I definitely have to side with Chrysler on this one.
http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Inve...0413Facebook11
My thoughts exactly. Bunch of bull.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
scottmphoto
1991 XJ Cherokee 

They ain't gettin' my Jeep.
scottmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
birddogin
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i work in a salvage yard/towing company, im also an emt on the ambulance and a volenteer firefighter, the only vehicle ive seen a gas tank rupture on was a 98 grand am and that car was almost folded in half. not one grand cherokee ive seen in a wreak has the tank ever ruptured on, not saying it cant happen but just about any vehicle hit hard enough or in the right place has the potential to combust.
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

If this were even remotely worth taking seriously then they'd have to recall every motorcycle ever built.
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've got an idea, we'll just restrict fuel tank capacity, that will solve the problem, no one needs a high capacity 15+gal tank anyways, its for the children. 3gal seems like a totally random and safe number or maybe 5gal, if it saves one life its worth it.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
I've got an idea, we'll just restrict fuel tank capacity, that will solve the problem, no one needs a high capacity 15+gal tank anyways, its for the children. 3gal seems like a totally random and safe number or maybe 5gal, if it saves one life its worth it.
I see what you did there.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bs , danger , jeeps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.