Custom Headliner? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Custom Headliner?

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
Whizzerbike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
X2, I've done them with everything from bed sheets to pleather.
MMMMmmmMMM pleather! thats something i would re-frame from doing to my headliner haha!

Still working on pickin up some digital camo headliner for mine. Hopefully ill get a lot done this fall break for school

Whizzerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #32
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzerbike View Post
MMMMmmmMMM pleather! thats something i would re-frame from doing to my headliner haha!
I wouldn't do it on my XJ, but I did in it my Dakota since it was already a black leather interior. I didn't want to use actual leather because it's heavy and would smell for so long. But for something that wasn't going to be stared at and needed to be redone anyway it came out looking great.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #33
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

very helpful info im liking the bedliner idea alot, think it would be easier to prep, glue a sheet down and then spray with a bedliner? I have a tan one so I am thinkin of going tan suede? might be expensive.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #34
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I don't even get the point in bedlining the headliner. If you're going to go through the trouble why not just remove the board, gain some headroom, and line the roof itself? At least then you're getting rust protection.

Unread 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

very true ive heard without the headliner board up there that it can get very hot and cold in winters, ill keep the board, I like the idea with bedsheets that is actually very good idea does it fit perfect? shrinking or anything?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't even get the point in bedlining the headliner. If you're going to go through the trouble why not just remove the board, gain some headroom, and line the roof itself? At least then you're getting rust protection.
I drove it for a day or two without the board...it was loud and noticeably warmer in the Jeep and it was only like 85 out. I didn't really want to go through gluing in a new cloth and I wanted it to be a little different. Cost was probably about the same really.
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74 View Post
I drove it for a day or two without the board...it was loud and noticeably warmer in the Jeep and it was only like 85 out. I didn't really want to go through gluing in a new cloth and I wanted it to be a little different. Cost was probably about the same really.
I feel ya. I pulled mine yesterday and the added heat sucked. Road noise isn't really an issue for me since I'm doorless and running 32 M/Ts lol

Unread 09-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #38
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Its a piece of insulation. Removing it adds road noise, and also makes your heat/ac work harder insulating bare metal. You wouldnt gain a whole lot of headroom by removing it. Putting down bedliner, IMO, makes it look good, its easy to clean off, and it solidifies the headliner, its fiberglass so adding the bedliner makes it not so flimsy. Mine turned out great, rolled it on, color is black. Real thick and durable.
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #39
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytex70
Ok..I know this is probably a dumb a** question but what kind of fabric did you guys use to re-do the headliner? (I pulled mine down 2 weekends ago because I just couldn't take the crap hitting me in the head anymore) I've looked at actual headliner material and wow that stuff is pricey. I still have to pull the headliner board out and clean it off..hopefully if the weather holds this weekend I'll be able to get that part done.
I used a thicker carpet type of stuff. I believe it goes I your toolbox, we had a roll from another project so I used the leftovers for my headliner. Ended up building a box To replace the soundbar and using it for that too. I loved this stuff. Just a little out of the box thinking I guess.
image-4215947832.jpg   image-111358106.jpg   image-2122922038.jpg  
MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #40
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
I used a thicker carpet type of stuff. I believe it goes I your toolbox, we had a roll from another project so I used the leftovers for my headliner. Ended up building a box To replace the soundbar and using it for that too. I loved this stuff. Just a little out of the box thinking I guess.
Thats a great idea, looks great too! How hard was it to mount and wire those subs like that? I just used my original soundbar in the back, it was in perfect condition. Painted it with bedliner, installed 2 6.5" sony xplode speakers, looks great, sounds great, good bass too. Have a pioneer sub in box in the trunk though too.
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #41
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett

Thats a great idea, looks great too! How hard was it to mount and wire those subs like that? I just used my original soundbar in the back, it was in perfect condition. Painted it with bedliner, installed 2 6.5" sony xplode speakers, looks great, sounds great, good bass too. Have a pioneer sub in box in the trunk though too.
They are just 6x9's, in the 99 the soundbar is molded in, and when I tried to cut to fit 6x9s it didn't work out. Long story short, I cut the mold of of my headliner, built this box, jammed it up there(hardest part). And thanks I wouldn't of had to do it if I wouldn't have made that noob mistake but now in kinda glad I did, because my headliner was sagging and these speakers sound amazing. And I have 2 10" mtx's back there, just no amp right now, workin on that though:P
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #42
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
They are just 6x9's, in the 99 the soundbar is molded in, and when I tried to cut to fit 6x9s it didn't work out. Long story short, I cut the mold of of my headliner, built this box, jammed it up there(hardest part). And thanks I wouldn't of had to do it if I wouldn't have made that noob mistake but now in kinda glad I did, because my headliner was sagging and these speakers sound amazing.
Ahh i see, well hey that noob mistake is pretty unique and cool! Does it block your rear view any?
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #43
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett

Ahh i see, well hey that noob mistake is pretty unique and cool! Does it block your rear view any?
Ahh, yes on each side, it's not much, but i just have to be a little more careful. No big deal though.
Unread 09-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #44
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I feel ya. I pulled mine yesterday and the added heat sucked. Road noise isn't really an issue for me since I'm doorless and running 32 M/Ts lol
Yeah...I'm not there yet myself. Still going back & forth on the doorless thing. It's technically illegal here in PA to modify my doors in any way, so it'd only really be useful off-road. I'm planning on lifting to fit 31-32" M/T's so I figure that's when the real road noise will set in anyhow
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #45
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74 View Post
Yeah...I'm not there yet myself. Still going back & forth on the doorless thing. It's technically illegal here in PA to modify my doors in any way, so it'd only really be useful off-road. I'm planning on lifting to fit 31-32" M/T's so I figure that's when the real road noise will set in anyhow
You could always apply to have it redesignated by the DMV as a modified vehicle. Pretty sure it makes your insurance go up though.

Technically you could make the argument that they're just as removable as Wrangler doors since you can simply unbolt them which isn't a modification.

Tags
camo , custom , headliner , military

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.