CSF 3 Core - DON'T BUY ONE! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > CSF 3 Core - DON'T BUY ONE!

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
Bronco1138
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I appreciate you sharing your story because I also believe that either CSF or Autocare/Amazon is to blame since the box was undamaged. CSF is put on a pedestal around here, and it really bugs me because any amount of research into them turns-up just as many stories of inexcusable failures as successes.

That said, you should have been in contact with Autocare/Amazon/CSF the moment you saw that it was damaged looking to have it replaced or refunded. You put yourself through all that frustration for nothing. Yeah, I know you had already pulled the old radiator, but still, I see no sense in installing a damaged unit just to piss yourself off more than necessary.

Want an alternative to CSF? BTR. They're far from perfect, but when the rad I had purchased from them started to leak almost 2 years later, I called them about it, and they offered to have me either send it back to them to be repaired or to simply take it somewhere local to have it repaired and to send them the invoice so that they could fully reimburse me for the repair. That might be less impressive if they had some sort of 2+ year warranty written in stone somewhere, but they don't. They were very nice and really stood by their product. That said, I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll buy one again for my new XJ--it's either them or a quality alum/plastic OEM replacement; CSF isn't even in the running.
I agree, and my mistake for not waiting and returning the radiator immediately. I didn't think a filler neck would be that much of a problem.

Installed a OEM radiator today with no issues and the Jeep runs on average 7 degrees cooler. Never hits 210.

Current 2000 Green XJ w/ Flowmaster 40 exhaust, magnaflow high flow cat, bbk 62mm throttle body, Rusty's TBS, K&N Intake, Hella Euro H4 Headlights, OME Steering Stabilizer, 3.5" RE super flex kit, RE trac bar, 32" Tires on the way....

SOLD 2001 silver XJ w/4.5" RE Lift, 33", Long Arm, Locked, etc.
Bronco1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

your radiator only has 1 core. the core is the area between the tanks.the core may have 1,2,3 or more rows.it looks to me that your 3 row radiator has a damaged neck.any radiator shop can fix that with a new neck. ask the seller if they will cover the cost of having a new neck soldered on?
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #18
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had either 2 or 3 CSF's with a bent neck. I finally went to an oem plastic tank one, has worked fine for several years.
Unread 08-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just a word on these aftermarket "cost conscious" mulitple row radiators....

Here's a pic of a Champion radiator with the tank cut off from one of the Camaro guys. His car cooled fine on the street but overheated when autocrossing. Ruined one engine, Champion replaced the radiator, and it still overheated on the new engine. This was a 700hp-rated radiator on a car making less than 300 RWHP. The tubes measured out at less than 0.030" high, and he estimated that about 50% of them were deformed on the ends. For comparison, a stock GM single row tube is 0.070" and Griffin uses a 0.090" tube. With the junk our Jeep engines produce you can imagine what will happen to a setup like this if you don't go above and beyond what would typically be required for cooling system maintenance. Clog city.

I run a similar Champion on a 500hp SBC with no issue, but this shouldn't be ignored. Although spending big money on a radiator doesn't necessarily guarantee a better product, you can pretty much bet that the lower cost ones will have issues like this. Heat exchange is all about area and typically the low cost manufacturers tout their row count when in fact the way they manufacture them actually results in less area.

Stock GM for comparison.

SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

News flash: no company in the history of making anything has a 0% failure rate.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I also run champion cooling and it does just fine.
Unread 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #22
Bronco1138
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
your radiator only has 1 core. the core is the area between the tanks.the core may have 1,2,3 or more rows.it looks to me that your 3 row radiator has a damaged neck.any radiator shop can fix that with a new neck. ask the seller if they will cover the cost of having a new neck soldered on?
They actually refunded the entire cost of the radiator and included shipping costs. I didn't even have to send it back.
Current 2000 Green XJ w/ Flowmaster 40 exhaust, magnaflow high flow cat, bbk 62mm throttle body, Rusty's TBS, K&N Intake, Hella Euro H4 Headlights, OME Steering Stabilizer, 3.5" RE super flex kit, RE trac bar, 32" Tires on the way....

SOLD 2001 silver XJ w/4.5" RE Lift, 33", Long Arm, Locked, etc.
Bronco1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.