CSF 3 Core - DON'T BUY ONE! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > CSF 3 Core - DON'T BUY ONE!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Bronco1138
2000 XJ Cherokee 

CSF 3 Core - DON'T BUY ONE!

Before I go on my rant I want to point out to all the keyboard cowboys out there this is my opinion/experience.

This is my second XJ and like others have experienced my stock radiator started leaking from the passenger side due to a crack in the plastic tank. Being my Jeep is a 2000 and has 118k on the ticker the stock radiator had a damn good run. Its the only part of my cooling system I haven't replaced.

I have had numerous friends that have installed a csf, champion, or a autozone special Chinese knock off. In one way or another they have all had problems within a 2 year span of having to replace them again. Even after all the reviews I read online and my friends advice not to buy one... I bought a CSF 3 core. $185 shipped through amazon prime... I said to myself, I will prove them all wrong!

It arrives from the gorilla men (UPS) and the box looked unharmed. I open it up, and notice the typical filler neck is bent a little but nothing I can't undo. WRONG!

Installation went smoothly and I had it all buttoned up and running within 2 hours. Bought a new Stant 16psi cap, burp the radiator, and take her for a drive. Temp gauge reads well under 210 and I'm feeling confident I can go tell my friends they were all full of crap. Come home, lift the hood, and watch my new radiator cap piss fluid all over my engine bay. That was a week ago....

Since then I've tried the following to fix the problem to no avail.

-Three different radiator caps
-Tried the old stock cap
-Put a nice bead of RTV on the filler neck, to create a better seal
-Sanded/rebent the filler neck
-Made my own gaskets on a cap
-Doubled up the gaskets
-Bent the tabs on the cap and neck to create a tighter seal
-Prayed to Jesus

At one point I needed a pair of vise grips to get the cap off it was so tight. Needless to say, I've had it! It's coming out and I already have a stock OEM one from Chrysler enroute. My stock one worked fine for 15 years without a problem.

So save yourself a headache, read the reviews, return anything even slightly damaged, and listen to others! It's not worth the time or hassle. Live and learn. Cheers!

csf1.jpg

csf2.jpg

Current 2000 Green XJ w/ Flowmaster 40 exhaust, magnaflow high flow cat, bbk 62mm throttle body, Rusty's TBS, K&N Intake, Hella Euro H4 Headlights, OME Steering Stabilizer, 3.5" RE super flex kit, RE trac bar, 32" Tires on the way....

SOLD 2001 silver XJ w/4.5" RE Lift, 33", Long Arm, Locked, etc.
Bronco1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

What I'm wondering is why you didn't return/exchange it for a replacement one. I just installed my CSF 2 core 2 days ago and it's fine.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Bronco1138
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had already pulled the leaking radiator out and didn't have the luxury of waiting for a replacement unit. I'm in the process of getting a refund. Just don't want another one after everything I know/ dealt with between friends and personal experience.
Current 2000 Green XJ w/ Flowmaster 40 exhaust, magnaflow high flow cat, bbk 62mm throttle body, Rusty's TBS, K&N Intake, Hella Euro H4 Headlights, OME Steering Stabilizer, 3.5" RE super flex kit, RE trac bar, 32" Tires on the way....

Unread 07-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
What I'm wondering is why you didn't return/exchange it for a replacement one.
^^^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco1138 View Post
In the process of getting a refund. Just don't want another one after everything I know/ dealt with between friends and personal experience.
Good luck with that considering you've aready installed it. I find it hard to believe they'd refund anything that is now "used".

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Bronco1138
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ This

Good luck with that considering you've aready installed it. I find it hard to believe they'd refund anything that is now "used".
Explained the situation and they asked if I wanted a refund or replacement. Asked for a refund and they said it won't be a problem. Company is Autocare Depot.

Unread 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Explained the situation and they asked if I wanted a refund or replacement. Asked for a refund and they said it won't be a problem. Company is Autocare Depot.
That's some customer service, now!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

So, I fail to see how this makes the CSF radiator a crap radiator?

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I've been loving my CSF 2-core for a few years.
UPS though, now that's another story.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I ran into that exact same issue on a faulty alternator I bought through Amazon(can't remember vender name right now).The place asked if I wanted a refund or replacement and I stated refund just for them to tell me no refund due to being installed.Sorry but can't know it's defective unless it's installed,had a bad voltage regulator.

After a few weeks of BS of them wanting me to send it back to the manufacturer to have checked and if it was bad then they would have it remaned and sent back(all on my dime) I was fed up since it was a "new" Power Master alternator not a remaned unit.I did not want a remaned part when I ordered a "new" alternator so I filed a claim against them and got all my money back through Amazon since I'm a Prime member.
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This thread should be called "UPS damaged my radiator in shipping". I don't see how this is CSF's issue.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
Bronco1138
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo View Post
This thread should be called "UPS damaged my radiator in shipping". I don't see how this is CSF's issue.
No damage to the box at all. Box arrived in perfect condition. Poor quality control in my opinion, not to mention all the other horror stories I have heard about these radiators.

Unread 08-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #12
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No damage to the box at all. Box arrived in perfect condition. Poor quality control in my opinion, not to mention all the other horror stories I have heard about these radiators.
I appreciate you sharing your story because I also believe that either CSF or Autocare/Amazon is to blame since the box was undamaged. CSF is put on a pedestal around here, and it really bugs me because any amount of research into them turns-up just as many stories of inexcusable failures as successes.

That said, you should have been in contact with Autocare/Amazon/CSF the moment you saw that it was damaged looking to have it replaced or refunded. You put yourself through all that frustration for nothing. Yeah, I know you had already pulled the old radiator, but still, I see no sense in installing a damaged unit just to piss yourself off more than necessary.

Want an alternative to CSF? BTR. They're far from perfect, but when the rad I had purchased from them started to leak almost 2 years later, I called them about it, and they offered to have me either send it back to them to be repaired or to simply take it somewhere local to have it repaired and to send them the invoice so that they could fully reimburse me for the repair. That might be less impressive if they had some sort of 2+ year warranty written in stone somewhere, but they don't. They were very nice and really stood by their product. That said, I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll buy one again for my new XJ--it's either them or a quality alum/plastic OEM replacement; CSF isn't even in the running.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It is very possible for it to get damaged in shipping without box damage, it could have been thrown arround hitting the inside of the box, or had something heavy put on top of it causing that damage, brass is pretty soft so it isn't too hard to bend.

When I was in college I worked as an electronics salesman for a major retailer and we had a 32" LCD TV dropped off a 15ft wharehouse rack landing flat on its face on concrete. The box showed no damage (likely because it landed flat on its face spreading out the inpact force) but the TV inside had a shattered screen and cracked case. It is posible to do plenty of damage to a product while not showing any evidence of abuse on the packign material.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
It is very possible for it to get damaged in shipping without box damage, it could have been thrown arround hitting the inside of the box, or had something heavy put on top of it causing that damage, brass is pretty soft so it isn't too hard to bend.

When I was in college I worked as an electronics salesman for a major retailer and we had a 32" LCD TV dropped off a 15ft wharehouse rack landing flat on its face on concrete. The box showed no damage (likely because it landed flat on its face spreading out the inpact force) but the TV inside had a shattered screen and cracked case. It is posible to do plenty of damage to a product while not showing any evidence of abuse on the packign material.
To bend the filler neck there would be plenty of box damage.Brass is not that fragile.
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It doesn't really matter if it was damaged via shipping or from the supplier. Point is that it was damaged when he got it and instead of messing with it further, he should have contacted who he bought it from for a return or a replacement. People get bad parts, I just built a computer and had to deal with a bad power supply, instead of opening it up and fiddling with it myself, I got it replaced within a week, stuff like that happens.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.