Crunching/grinding when accelerating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Crunching/grinding when accelerating

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Crunching/grinding when accelerating

I just changed the front diff fluid, didn't need it but figured it did. Sealed it back up and didn't leak at all. Then I changed the Tcase fluid, again it was Crystal clear and red but did the change anyway. Anyway, I drove it to moab just to tow my dirtbike down. When I got down there I noticed a slight squeaking sound just on take off for 1/2 a second then stops. Now when I got back to salt lake it's a little louder but nothing major sounding. Maybe I need to grease my slip yolk? Any thoughts? Doesn't look like anything leaked from anywhere.

RABBIDCOW55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Worn U-joints are often the cause for odd noises like that.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Checked ujoints on the drive shaft, both front halft shaft u joints and ones on my rear drive shaft while I was under it. Everything is tight, but there is just a tiny tiny bit of play in the front drive shaft. Also, and I'm not sure about this one, but when I rotate the front drive shaft it has play when I rotate it either clockwise or counter clockwise. Maybe 30 degrees? Is this supposed to happen or do I need a new front axel or T case? Thanks
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

you sure its not the "angry sparrow" that little centering ball goes bad in the front shaft and squeaks sounds like a effin bird if your rolling like 15mph's its crazy... just a thought... also remove the FRONT DS and take for a spin... noise still there eliminates the front... then re-install the front... removed the rear kick in 4wd will only be FWD in this case take for a short slow spin around the block see if its coming from front or rear.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It doesn't squeak or anything whit driving, only when there's a load on the drive train and realy only when I first start from a stop. The noise doesn't change if the wheels are turned or straight. Thoughts?
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

U joints would be my next guess... and then maybe low fluid level in either the diff or the tcase? not sure to be honest ive had some crazy sounds coming from underneath so I tend to ignore those and keep wheelin..
but I mean it sounds something little though.. unless you hear a CLUNKING like the teeth skipping on the ring and pinion but that is pretty major clunk you would be getting.
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I see you checked U joints already... scratch that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.