Creature Comforts and the elephant inthe room - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
ron45
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Creature Comforts and the elephant inthe room

I bet some of you must have come up with a way to get past that E break handle. With Park engaged is the E break really necessary? Or maybe there is a way to off set it more to the right of it's current location. I'd like an elbow rest there just to the rear and between the seat backs and a cup holder. Because of where we live it will be my main transportation and not just a recreational vehicle. We can have snow in any month of the year at our altitude...... but it's a lot more rare these days.

When I went thru the forum rules I may have missed info on multiple questions in a post. Is that generally acceptable? I'm in very new territory here.

Like Why would a premium vendor think we talk about cars here? I'll venture one more.

When choosing a tach,.... is digital better or worse that a mechanical one? Will digital even work in an XJ. What about a motorcycle Tach?

Thanks for listening,

Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 PM
irishlt

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/pic...lier-xj-80319/

Rather than using some of the somewhat chintzy aftermarket options, you can use a later year(97+) center console. Should be a cheap grab in a upull yard or from someone doing a part out local to you.

And as far as a tachometer goes.....if your xj has the big fuel gauge, you can just swap in one of the factory gauge clusters that has a tachometer. 91-96 clusters are swappable.

So a trip to a local junkyard could knock out a few of your concerns and should be relatively cheap as well as on the lower end as far as required aptitude to complete. Good luck.

P.S. the parking brake will save your transmission. Especially if you park on hills....hills will destroy parking pawls if you don't use the parking brake
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM
ou2mame

Parking brake, commonly known as an emergency brake is also helpful when your brakes fail lol.. But yes, of you park on an incline you should be using your ebrake. I don't like my tranny testing on the parking mechanism.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
ron45
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I like the meter cluster idea but I have an aversion to digging into the dash board. But it's worth a look at what's involved. Thank you.

Hey that's good to know on the P brake. I could look around for a shorter handle or cut mine down. Be nice to move it under the dash somehow. I was never much of a car guy. But since we moved to the boonies in 83 I'm having to muddle thru some of this sort of stuff. I don't know how complex it would be to attempt to use the 87 Ford Ranger style break mechanism that is near the left foot when depressed enough to keep the Jeep in place. Don't know if its even possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Ron
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
ron45
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Irishlt, ou2mame, these very helpful suggestions. I look forward to the process of personalizing the XJ and finding a name for him.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.