Cracked exhaust manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cracked exhaust manifold

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cracked exhaust manifold

So I decided to look for things to fix on my Jeep as does every XJ owner, and to my surprise I found a crack in the exhaust manifold. I'm not really sure if it's a huge deal but could anyone tell me the severity of this? Leave it alone or fix it? I mean I don't really notice anything, I feel a ticking in the valve cover but other than that I don't suspect a thing out of the ordinary. Do cracked exhaust manifolds have any tell tale symptoms?

Thanks guys

Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It can cause your jeep to use more fuel and lower your mpg. It will pull fresh air in through crack causing your o2 sensor to think it is running too lean. Extra Gas = less money for jeeping!
misterdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Had that happen with my 93 Wrangler, noticed it when I was replacing the motor. I put a header in and never regretted it.
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Whizzerbike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you got yourself a welder, just pull the header off and weld it back together along with all the other joints for extra support.
Will run like new if done right.
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzerbike
If you got yourself a welder, just pull the header off and weld it back together along with all the other joints for extra support.
Will run like new if done right.
And then watch it crack in five other places,I have welded my header (seven cracks in all) and now have five more.best to buy a aftermarket namebrand header with a warranty and be done with the problem.
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Buy a header and a new head gasket set, pull the head and manifolds as one piece. The exhaust is infinitely easier to remove with the entire cylinder head out and it only takes a couple hours to pull the whole thing, change the gasket, and put everything back. Might as well get it all clean and new gaskets in while you're at it.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a slightly cracked header flange where it meets my down pipe. I wouldn't pull my head and replace it unless I was swapping in an upgrade for the 0331 time bomb.

That being said, I will continue to goop muffler cement until I can gather parts to do that exactly - pull the head, install new manifold on new head, put back in as one unit.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's less work imo to just pull the whole damn thing. You figure 10 years and 100K miles, it can't really hurt to go ahead and replace the head gaskets while you're at it. Esp on a 00-01.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.