Converted from Range Rover to XJ - Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Converted from Range Rover to XJ - Pics

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Converted from Range Rover to XJ - Pics

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. So far I've owned 2 range rovers, 92 & 96, they were great vehicles but just like more attention, my first mistake was making them daily commuters.

In my personal opinion I can't compare an XJ to them much since both makes exceed in their own categories but one thing they have in common is they both give you the same confidence in while driving on road and off stock.

My main reason to convert was to have something that could be used daily and that most mechanics are familiar with, something that isn't ALL ran by computers and relays and poisoned with electrical gremlins that come and go. Finding specific parts that nobody locally had was an issue as well. My last straw is when my front diff blew last year. If you can get past all of that and already have a daily driver then its a great vehicle to have.

I've had my XJ for 2 weeks now and I don't know what to do with myself, EVERYTHING WORKS, i haven't had to pop the hood for anything, my dash isn't lighting up like a Christmas tree. I'm actually comfortable to just hop in and start it up, knowing it will fire up the first try. I hate I was too ignorant to make this decision sooner, I would have saved $$ and stress. Seems like my friends like the XJ much more than the Rover too! It may not be 4x4, adjustable air suspension, 8 way power seat adjustable or have 11 speakers but I'm just as satisfied without all the extra toys.

Better gas mileage, reliability, easy access to parts and a factory roof rack wins in my book.

Here's The pics:

p.s.
you guys have a much more friendlier forum than the LR ones and more info. keep it up.

Thanks for reading

islandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's a clean XJ.. But it doesn't appear to have a front diff... what gives...
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did want 4wd, but couldn't find many that were well taken care of, also I'm in Alabama anyway
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsnow View Post
I did want 4wd, but couldn't find many that were well taken care of, also I'm in Alabama anyway
I think a conversion is in order
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Oregon187
too broke to build

2001 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.pullapart.com/inventory/search.aspx

Hit this place and see if the front Diff and TC (and other necessary pieces) are taken from the 2000 or the 1997 that they have on the lot in Birmingham. And start your conversion.
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Oregon187
too broke to build

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum. That is a very clean looking XJ.
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I was just at pull a part with a friend last week for his pickup! I'm still going through threads but I didn't know it was that easy to convert it, I may have a new summer project
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

DO IT... no XJ should be limited to 2wd!
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

4wd swap is essentially a bolt-in. Goes to show how user friendly these things are to work on haha.

Congrats on the Jeep. Looks very well cared for, and I think you will enjoy it. The electrical gremlins have always scared me from the LR's, aside from the fact that the styling is... uhhh... not for me.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
BlueBadger

Welcome to the forum. I haven't been on the forum to long either. Which is odd since I've had my '92 XJ around 12 years. And yes these guys are great. What caught my eye on this thread was the 2wd. You see that's how my xj started out life the same way. Stock 4.0, ax15 and no t-case. The converting was extremely easy, well the tech part anyways. And yes everything was a direct unbolt and rebolt. But as with any project there has been plenty of busted knuckles!! My little old jeep now sports a 3.5" lift 33/12.50-15 at's. 4wd And yes, they do scrub the fenders... Bad!!! Lol but I wouldn't trade it for anything I'm planning on going up 2 more inches and have hopes of swapping in a 4bt! Need any help just let us know.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Ratrod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome. I wonder what it would take to convert the 92 LR over to a 4.0 with all the mechanicals?
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBadger View Post
Welcome to the forum. I haven't been on the forum to long either. Which is odd since I've had my '92 XJ around 12 years. And yes these guys are great. What caught my eye on this thread was the 2wd. You see that's how my xj started out life the same way. Stock 4.0, ax15 and no t-case. The converting was extremely easy, well the tech part anyways. And yes everything was a direct unbolt and rebolt. But as with any project there has been plenty of busted knuckles!! My little old jeep now sports a 3.5" lift 33/12.50-15 at's. 4wd And yes, they do scrub the fenders... Bad!!! Lol but I wouldn't trade it for anything I'm planning on going up 2 more inches and have hopes of swapping in a 4bt! Need any help just let us know.
On the total swap how much $$ did it cost you?

Ty everyone for welcoming me

The previous owners did a awesome job maintaining it, it doesn't look like it but the odo is actually sitting at 167k.
Unread 03-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
BlueBadger

167k that's nothing! It's just getting broke in! My 4.0 has just over 300k. I got it when I was 15 so it took the corse of about 5 years to complete the swap. But I got a trashed '90 model with the aw4 auto for about $500, took what glass I cloud use. It was a 4door mines a 2door, and took the axles. That was all I could use of it. Then a buddy took the warn out ax15 and 231 t-case out of his and swapped in a aw4. He gave me the trans and t-case. Which I had to get rebuild. A good friend of mine owns and runs a very good auto repair shop. So he had one of his guys rebuild them for me, which ran $300. Then $200 for drive shafts. Oh I also got the shifter and linkage out of the trashed xj. Then say another $500 on odd and ends such as fluids, wire wheels, paint ect. So all in all around $1500. Not to bad for a boy between 15 to 20 years old learning as I went. I really wished I had been on this great forum years ago!!!!
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome aboard. You need to get under the hood and check your fluids. You probably have the dreaded 0331 head (many of us do) which has a tendency to crack when it is overheated. I keep my coolant right at the top line of the Full marker so I can see at a glance if I have lost any. Also mind your oil level and keep them both pristine. Don't go radical over having the 0331 head like wanting to swap it out right away. Your Jeep runs great, that's all you need for starters. The 4W project is worth doing because it will mean you can do more with your Jeep and it will increase the value of it.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
TitletownZJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro55 View Post
That's a clean XJ.. But it doesn't appear to have a front diff... what gives...

Dont feel bad I own a 98 ZJ thats 2wd and I have no intenstions on switching it to 4wd since the wife mostly drives it. But if I was to road with it more I would do a conversion on it. But luckly my xj has 4wd and the wife cant drive that its a stick

Member of Titletown Jeepers
TitletownZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4x4 , pictures , review , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.