clear corner markers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > clear corner markers

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

clear corner markers

Hey folks i'm gettin the clear corner markers for the heep, and i was wonderin if any yall know if i'm allowed to have white lights in 'em, or if i have to keep amber bulbs.

I've heard a couple times that they have to be amber, and i've also heard it's ok to have white....

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

they're state laws covering that. so it's best to look them up for your state.

however, while searching for info on my state (va) before i bought and installed them on my dd'er, va requires them to project amber light. so i can use bulbs that aren't amber but still emit amber light. the trouble with amber bulbs is that when daylight hits them, the reflective backing of the clear housing reflects the sunlight going though the bulb causing what people call the egg yoke effect.

they make some expensive silver bulbs but i found a writeup on a BMW forum on how a guy made a DIY version of the silver bulbs.

here's what i ended up with:

the writeup i found did it a little different. he was masking off 3 triangles on the sides of the bulbs and laying down heavy coats of enamel down. then when he removed the tape, he would have amber triangles on the side. i'm not sure how well they work in the shape of a BMW's turn signal housings, but because ours are more flat, the light output flat out sucked. so i chose to do a very light coat of enamel. this diffuses the sunlight shining through them, but doesn't block as much of the amber light when they're in use.

here's a link to my full writeup:

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=55
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.