Child Restraint Anchors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Child Restraint Anchors

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Child Restraint Anchors

I read a thread some time ago about a program that Chrysler was doing where you could take in certain model vehicles and they would add the child car seat anchors in the floor. It wouls all be done for free.

Does anyone know about that? I've searched and can't find it.

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
MrNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No, I didn't hear about it, but how could you do it on an XJ? Seems like if you bolted them to the floor they'd be in the way of the seat back folding down.
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
No, I didn't hear about it, but how could you do it on an XJ? Seems like if you bolted them to the floor they'd be in the way of the seat back folding down.
Not that part of the floor they would get attached to the floor pan in the area under the seat it's just a little loop of round steel.

I have no idea on the Chrysler thing but if not maybe you could go to a local shop that does metal work and have the weld the hoops in.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
MrNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, but then how would you get to it to attach the LATCH clips to them when the seat is up and the child seats are sitting on the seat?
Unread 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
throttlejunkie1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm fixing this problem myself by getting the anchors from a Chevy Trailblazer (JY). The latching ring anchors that bolt to the floor are very tall, and if my measurements are right, they can be latched by the childs safety seat hooks without having to dig for them in between the seat bottom/back.

By (me) sitting in the childs seat with it positioned in the middle of the back seat, I use the longer strap safety harness, buckle it and pull it tight. Works really well...but I just don't feel its enough.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
throttlejunkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
MrNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My point was that if they're that tall, it seems like they'd get in the way of the seat back folding down. If not, they'd be a PITA to get to. But maybe not.

I thought very seriously about doing this, but eventually realized it's quicker to belt the seats in. And they seem pretty damn secure that way, so I gave up on it.
Unread 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I found it, in this thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...y-seat-651359/

Post 11

The actual service bulletin is below.

http://www.viperclub.org/howto/servi.../ZB_230800.pdf

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

Unread 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
throttlejunkie1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

SO how does this work? It doesnt say how much...does it work like a recall....simply drop off and pick back up later

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
throttlejunkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, drop off, pick up...free install and free parts.

These were omitted from all the vehicles delivered. As I was told by the dealer I went to, it was an oversight that did not go un noticed by authorities.

The do not mount to the floor in the Jeep, they mount to the upper rear of the roof under the hatch opening right at the/under the trim. These do NOT anchor the universal standard style Child Seat Anchors, but rather the upper seat restraint anchor.

I have 2 Child Seats installed, and you have to use the seat belt along with a retention clip because the rear seat belts do not have the right latch for positive locking without (cant recall term). REALLY a PITA compared to the universal standard I had in my Dakota and currently have in our Caravan (circa 2007).

Can post pics later if you like, but better you call the dealer, make an appointment, and get them installed. They CANNOT give you them to self install as they have to be a "Factory Installed Part" so Chrysler can sign off on liability etc.

Hope that helps.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^Ahhh, that's some good information. I went down to the dealer and they didn't have the parts, said they were ordering some and would call me back. I haven't heard back so I will need to call.

I don't think this will work with my kids since they are still 19 and 6 months. I'll still do it for later use.

Unread 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambox View Post
^Ahhh, that's some good information. I went down to the dealer and they didn't have the parts, said they were ordering some and would call me back. I haven't heard back so I will need to call.

I don't think this will work with my kids since they are still 19 and 6 months. I'll still do it for later use.
Yes, mine had to be ordered in too. They ordered like 5 sets to have on hand when they did. It apparently was an afterthought in many years of many models.

I used a `bucket`in the Cherokee for both kids, it didn't use the overhead anchors, only the seat belt buckle clamp. They honestly dont fit well, neither does rear facing kid seats of most types. Cherokee Classic is simply too small in the rear seat area.

With both front facing now (2 and 4 year olds) they fit great and the seats anchor well. Now for built in DVD for those long trailer towing trips!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Were you ever able to get some pictures of the anchors?

Unread 05-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #13
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

actually I forgot... I am out of town for a few weeks too. Sorry, if you need them when I am back, I will post shotz.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That'd be great, if you could PM when you get back.

Unread 05-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Will do.

2500 miles away from it now. lol

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.