Cherokee shopping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee shopping

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee shopping

I'm on a crusade to pick up a well-used late model Cherokee. I'm not real familiar with Chrysler vehicles, but I have been around a few Jeeps. I want something 97 or newer. Much to my surprise, there are many 97, 98, and 99 Cherokees on my local Craigslist in nice shape that are in my price range, around $2500.

I guess I'm concerned as to what different things I should look out for on a higher mileage Jeep. My father-in-law owns a 94 Grand and an 89 XJ with well over 200,000 miles, and while they certainly have had problems, they've been pretty good vehicles.

That being said, any advice?

I also want to install a ScanGauge II in my Jeep. Has anyone used this product and if so do most or all the parameters work on the newer Jeeps?

kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My vote goes to the '99s. It's the last year with a real distributor and it has the updated intake manifold for a few more ponies under the hood.

But then again, I am biased as I hunted for my '99.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
xj964
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Our 98 has been good to us, good choice of years. Also if you can find a deal on one under $3k with decent miles, then you are in good shape. If you get one, be aware there are some common things that usually go if they haven't already (switches and sensors) but nothing truly major to be afraid of. keep us posted
xj964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The mileage range on some of these jeeps is around 170,000 miles. My only two experiances with XJs are from my father and father-in-law. My dad was a small town cop for many years, and his last patrol vehicle was a state-bid 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 that the town bought new in '97. It's still in service today with only 60,000 miles. Only problems that I know of were some rear brake issues, and early on, it had to have the shortblock replaced under warranty.

My father-in-law has an '89 Cherokee that he traded a computer for in 2005. It was a real heap, had something like 188,000 miles, and leaked oil like a sive. He rebuilt a 4.0 HO and had it installed. It's a good runner, but is always overheating. I had a blast with it this winter but the damn doors won't shut and when they do you have to sorta shoulder them open. Other than that it's a good truck. He had it repainted white as well.

So when I registered on Jeep Forum I had it in mind to take my buddy's 95 GC off his hands, but he has since decided to keep it for himself, leaving me Jeep-less. I prefer the body style and capabilities of the XJ anyway, so here I am.

Currently I'm trying to sell a troublesome 94 Caprice 9C1 and use those funds to purchase my XJ.

Just needing advice on what to look for, problem areas, and weak spots.

I am nervous about transmission failure on high mileage vehicles (not jeeps specifically) and I found a 99 with 176,000 miles and a five-speed four doors

Guy wants $3000 for it but I wonder if I can talk him down.
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
xj964
1996 XJ Cherokee 

a 5 speed 4 door? that is rare. Check the a/c since a good bit of the systems go out. Also reverse lights, the valve cover gasket and down around the ball joints. Just a few ideas.
Unread 07-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, four door five speed. I found it sorta odd as well.

Anything else? I keep hearing about the window switches. What's the deal, just junk hardware or what? Would a junkyard trip be fruitless since all these vehicles are plauged with it? This vehicle does have a window problem according to the seller.
Unread 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
xj964
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nothing else off the top of my head. The switches were junk, my back ones act up once in a while. You will be hit or miss with the yard as far as functioning
Unread 07-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I figured. The 'yard I frequent has a decent '98 right now (not real sure why it is there, not wrecked, but she's getting stripped) that has the switches.

Also has the cheap polished wheels I might grab, albeit there are only three left.

Now i have another question: Does not having a "Frame" make you feel "teh ghey?"

I obliviously went thru life for the last, 11 years thinking all jeeps were Body on Frame, and then my buddy points out that all Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are unibody construction. I've always been a "Frame Guy" and now I learn this.

Does this TRUELY present any problems with the XJ? I mean, it can't be too bad, not having a frame, judging by the setups some guys have, but is there a risk involved in tweeking the rig? The bad thing is that a minor accident could result in the death of my XJ. Just a "change" I hadn't anticpated.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.