Cherokee purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee purchase

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Sunvista
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cherokee purchase

I'm usually in the Wrangler forum but my niece asked me to look at a 2000 Cherokee Sport with her. The asking price from a private party is $5900 which seems high to me - even for a dealer. Any thoughts here on this price point and also anything particular I should look for on a Cherokee with over 100k miles on it? Also, what years were the major revisions for Cherokees?

Unread 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Ratrod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ask if it has had the head replaced or head gasket. The 2000 and 2001 seems to have had an issue with this, do a search and there should be quite a bit on this. The price is high but the Cherokee is no longer available and demand had had the price go up. Last year I got $3500 for my 1999 with 199k. I think $4500 would be in the ball park if there arent any major issues.
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah about $4500 to $4900 is what a dealer would ask around here, if its perfect condition.
Mine is beat on the outside, needs paint, and bodywork, but runs good. previous owner paid $3000 from a dealer.
I got it from him for $1700 which was a steal.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Link to it? Kinda hard to judge value based on the little bit of info provided.
Stuff to look for it basically the same as Wranglers. Big rust spots are floorboards, rockers, and hatch floor.

For 2000 you've got the 0331 head casting which is prone to cracking if it overheats due to a casting defect. It's not made of glass like a lot of people act like, but it's something to be aware of. If she's set on a 97+ try to find her a 99.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.