Cherokee owner.....again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee owner.....again

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Cherokee owner.....again

I am once again a Cherokee owner. Saturday I bought a 96 country automatic, the listing said it needed a starter and an oil pump. While looking At the jeep she told me that when she turned the key it clicked. It is in as good a shape as can be expected there is a decent amount of floor pan rust but the rockers are solid. It needs some repairs and a through cleaning before I can start a build on it but it runs well and the drive train is solid. I will have some pics later. Is there anything major I should know before going head first into this?

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland, Midnight Blue Pearl.
Rusty's 2" Budget boost, It Goes fast
Project "Shamrock": 96 Cherokee country, black, I6 HO, ZJ 242, 4.5 Rustys, 33" Mud terrains
My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-xj-shamrock-build-1250478/[/url]
overlandchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah...I'd be worried about the oil pump; how many times did oil pressure hit zero?

EDIT: What axles did you score with it?
Unread 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Oil pressure held firm, the pump is fine it was just the sensor, the person was not very automotive savvy. She claimed that her dad who was a mechanic diagnosed the bad pump pump and starter but i am not sure that is true because the battery was dead, the starter is strong, the relay was missing for the fuel pump, and the pressure sensor was cracked in half. If a mechanic had looked at the jeep they would have figured it out right away. The axels are stock and so are the leaf springs, they are almost flat, front shocks are new ish but the rear end hasn't been touched.

Project "Shamrock": 96 Cherokee country, black, I6 HO, ZJ 242, 4.5 Rustys, 33" Mud terrains
My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-xj-shamrock-build-1250478/[/url]
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well that's good! If you got it for a steal then it sounds like it's going to be a blast to build and hammer on!
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Yea I am a cook by profession and education, but cars, jeeps, and automotive work has always been the best way for me to relive stress and with this jeep I can break something and not have to worry about having it drivable because it's not my DD even tho I hate to break stuff it's all in the name of learning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.