Cherokee misfortunes/stories thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee misfortunes/stories thread

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
makemusic116
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee misfortunes/stories thread

So I thought I would share some of my misfortunes with you guys. I blew out a brake line yesterday night pulled the old one all out that night so it'd be ready to fix in the a.m. Went to work got all my lines, unions and stuff and came home to fix it. I grabbed a wrong union so I couldn't thread my connecter in...this is at like 930 am...I need to be to work for ten. So I don't get to finish it up. Mind you its around 4 degress out in Maine and I am doing this in my driveway. So after work with all the right parts everything goes together perfect all my lines are run added brake fluid...ready to roll. Yeah right. Get in to start it and my battery is dead...WTF. Put my jump box on it and start it no problem as soon as I shut it off...done. Won't start so now I need a new battery and I am broke till payday. I also noticed that my exhaust has a few minor leaks...ugh. Time to upgrade I guess.

I thought I would start a thread about some fun stories we had workin on our Jeeps. Maybe if we hear other bad stories we'll all feel better haha

Flowmaster Super 44

My Build Thread...Everyday XJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/e...build-1172798/

Build Total So Far: $1,738.87
makemusic116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My battery had been on the way to death since I got the jeep, and it finally got me good. I left my lights on for 10 minutes while at taco bell, eating inside, and the battery was dead. It would hardly sound the door buzzer. I was stuck in that parking lot for 2 hours, until a guy who happened to have one of the jump-start-in-a-box things offered to help. (I'm very interested in making one of those, and would be happy to post a writeup if there is demand)

Got a new battery at wally-world, and will see if it works better.
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

blew out a rear wheel bearing 400 miles from home

stripped d44 ring gear, 350 miles from home
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I blew out my Tcu up the street from my house, and it also blue fuse 13. (It kills the entire Jeep, haha) I replaced the fuse, and it got me home but I ended up having to buy a new trans unit.

I got stranded at the local wheelin spot, because I got a flat, but happened to not have a jack on me. My friend with a floor jack to the rescue. We hadn't even started wheeling yet. haha

Oh, and over the hill in half moon bay 3 guys died in an xj cause they failed horribly and drove off a cliff. (Just like 2 months ago.)
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Pat_S
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
My battery had been on the way to death since I got the jeep, and it finally got me good. I left my lights on for 10 minutes while at taco bell, eating inside, and the battery was dead. It would hardly sound the door buzzer. I was stuck in that parking lot for 2 hours, until a guy who happened to have one of the jump-start-in-a-box things offered to help. (I'm very interested in making one of those, and would be happy to post a writeup if there is demand)

Got a new battery at wally-world, and will see if it works better.
Same thing happened with me last night. Went to Wal-Mart to buy some socks, yes socks. Came back to the Jeep and fired it up, but no worky. I then spotted a couple in the parking lot as they were leaving, and asked politely if they had a jumper - luckily they did. Got me scared for a sec.

<--- Needs to invest in a battery. Thinking about going to Costco, and purchasing one for the minimum of $40. But I'm not quite sure now if they still carry that price. I 'gotz to check'.
Pat_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

When I went to do my TC drop and spent a good couple hours trying to get the studs out. I used the 2 nut approach... nothing. Heated it... nothing. BFH because I could... nothing. Swearing and sweating at it... nothing.

After going on that for a few hours, bit the bullet and called the shop. They ended up having to torch the stud out So my TC Drop cost me over $100... Oh the joy of Maine road salt.

P.S., Brad that's a pain in the *** about those break lines. The cold sucks sometimes. I've been trying to thaw out my washer fluid because it's frozen nicely. I apparently grabbed the wrong jug and didn't put the cold weather stuff in. :
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_S View Post
Same thing happened with me last night. Went to Wal-Mart to buy some socks, yes socks. Came back to the Jeep and fired it up, but no worky. I then spotted a couple in the parking lot as they were leaving, and asked politely if they had a jumper - luckily they did. Got me scared for a sec.

<--- Needs to invest in a battery. Thinking about going to Costco, and purchasing one for the minimum of $40. But I'm not quite sure now if they still carry that price. I 'gotz to check'.
One thing I did that you might find useful, I bought the biggest battery that would fit in the tray, NOT the recommended size one. I was able to gain 150 cranking amps for free that way. I did have to trim the side of the tray a bit, as I mis-measured it, but I wasn't off by more than a half inch (pretty good for a torn-to-size napkin). I ended up with a 48-3 battery, if that means anything to anyone.
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
ClassicVA
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the picture explains

~XJ Owners Club Member #134
ClassicVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

there is someone on this board no one can top.

i'll let him explain.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
ClassicVA
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ha, do it. i want to hear

~XJ Owners Club Member #134
ClassicVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
98_classic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need I say more?

99 TJ Sahara - 3" FT economy lift, JKS disco's, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on silver D-windows, 1" BL/MML, smittybilt tire carrier
98_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
scouperacer1994
1995 XJ Cherokee 

A couple weeks ago I rolled my XJ. Although it's not as bad as the one pictured above.

Now I have to swap everything over to my "new" XJ that I picked up Monday.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
scouperacer1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
makemusic116
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is exactly what I intended this thread for...now I feel like a moron for *****ing about a brake line
Flowmaster Super 44

My Build Thread...Everyday XJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/e...build-1172798/

Build Total So Far: $1,738.87
makemusic116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
98_classic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

haha scoupe... I'm 98_classic over on chitown too. I'm liking the new XJ.

99 TJ Sahara - 3" FT economy lift, JKS disco's, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on silver D-windows, 1" BL/MML, smittybilt tire carrier
98_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not too much to do with the XJ but here goes.

I'm off on a Friday from work YAY!

Wake up late trying to go hunting. Decided to go walk around around 10.

At noon I walk up on a food polt where 2 does are feeding 20 yards. I pulled up the muzzleloader broadside....missed...

Go home find out a local law firm got bombed and Im a FF so I go try to help. None needed. So I hang out at the station waiting to see if Id get called in. 4 hours and no food later I go to another station and wait. They ask me to run to the store. Get in the Jeep nothing...starters gone...have to go all weekend without it.

Only problem Ive had with my XJ since I got it in May.
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.