JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Cherokee Lift Mod (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/cherokee-lift-mod-1705882/)

TBL823 10-20-2013 10:56 PM

Cherokee Lift Mod
 
Hey guys im Taylor, new to the site long time jeep owner. I just recently purchased a '00 Jeep Cherokee sport bone stock. My old jeep i had purchased previously lifted with mud tires already on it so im new at this. Im looking to to do a two inch lift only, due to the fact I use this jeep as my daily vehicle for my personal business that I run which requires me to tow a trailer and some equipment. I want to save some gas and not kill the lifespan of the motor having 250,000 miles on it. I was really wondering what are some tire sizes I can mount to the stock rims making them wider and slightly taller but not much. With the two inch lift I will have about three inches of wiggle room from rear fender. I dont mind using wheel spacers if needed, i just love the look of the wider jeeps and tires protruding from the sides. I will also be adding larger fender flares to compliment the wider tires. What tire size would i be looking for to get the widest on my stock rims? Stock tires are p225 70R 15 sorry for the lengthy post its my first so i wanted to get all the details in.

DunmerBoy 10-20-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBL823 (Post 17010322)
Hey guys im Taylor, new to the site long time jeep owner. I just recently purchased a '00 Jeep Cherokee sport bone stock. My old jeep i had purchased previously lifted with mud tires already on it so im new at this. Im looking to to do a two inch lift only, due to the fact I use this jeep as my daily vehicle for my personal business that I run which requires me to tow a trailer and some equipment. I want to save some gas and not kill the lifespan of the motor having 250,000 miles on it. I was really wondering what are some tire sizes I can mount to the stock rims making them wider and slightly taller but not much. With the two inch lift I will have about three inches of wiggle room from rear fender. I dont mind using wheel spacers if needed, i just love the look of the wider jeeps and tires protruding from the sides. I will also be adding larger fender flares to compliment the wider tires. What tire size would i be looking for to get the widest on my stock rims? Stock tires are p225 70R 15 sorry for the lengthy post its my first so i wanted to get all the details in.

30x 9.5r15 or 235/75/15 are your best options without trimming.

TBL823 10-20-2013 11:50 PM

Maybe I'll just bump up a rim size in width to a 10 and I can sneak some 12.5 inch wide tires on it that's what I did with my last jeep that had 33x12.5 r17s I'll just keep it 15 inch rims and try to stick at a 30?

SaarXJ 10-20-2013 11:57 PM

12.5/33 won't help you save gas and the ride quality would be much worse than riding with 235/75/15 or 30/9.5/15.
I think that DunmerBoy gave the best options for your requirements.
Saar

TBL823 10-21-2013 12:01 AM

Don't get me wrong I expect some gas mileage change I just don't want to go from 15 mpg to 6 like my truck on 43's but I can handle a few miles In change but looking at pictures of that size tire I'm not seeing a big difference in look to it, I guess to get that look I can take the hit, I just don't want to lift it very high and change more parts than I need to.

Paradise XJ 10-21-2013 09:45 AM

33x12.5"s will rub like mad on an XJ with a 2" lift (if they fit at all, you won't be able to "sneak" them in). If you use spacers, or wheels with less backspacing, so your tires stick out beyond the flares, you'll tear the flares up and rub like hell on the fenders with the slightest flex.

...and there is no such thing as an 2000 FSJ Cherokee

TBL823 10-21-2013 09:53 AM

Don't know where you saw 2000 fsj cherokee at and also I posted that my OLD jeep grand cherokee with a 4 inch lift had them and the fenders were cut and I also stated that I would sneak In a 3 larger size tire than the one I have currently that being after the 2 inch lift not that I would be sneaking in a 33 inch tire.. Read the post a little slower next time

TBL823 10-21-2013 09:57 AM

Glad to see there is some people trying to make the new guy look dumb but sorry I have enough years under a hood to know a bit about what I'm talking about I just don't know mud tire conversions

Craig00XJ 10-21-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBL823 (Post 17018074)
Glad to see there is some people trying to make the new guy look dumb but sorry I have enough years under a hood to know a bit about what I'm talking about I just don't know mud tire conversions

There are quite a few big egos on this site, just ignore them.

With the small lift you're doing I would go with 30x9.5xr15s and then buy a set of aftermarket wheels to give you the desired backspacing. Stock XJ wheels have 5.25in of backspacing, if you went with 4.5in, you're tires would stick out 3/4in further on either side. It would look good and it wouldnt crush your mpg like the 33x12.5s you were talkin about. And they'd fit with no clearance issues.

TBL823 10-21-2013 11:34 AM

Awesome thanks for that cuz I'm deff looking for aftermarket rims as well. First piece of useful information so far

DunmerBoy 10-21-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBL823
Awesome thanks for that cuz I'm deff looking for aftermarket rims as well. First piece of useful information so far

As I said, 235/75r15 are about the same size but MUCH cheaper. That's another thing to consider if you're looking to get high end tires.

TBL823 10-21-2013 12:02 PM

After doing more research on the conversions a 325 60 r15 will be perfect with a 3 inch lift, but then again with suspension flex no matter how I do it the width is going to rub on the fenders unless I do some chopping with the current tires they go inside the fender like they are designed to. Unless the suspension will completely stop before hitting the fender I'm screwed.

TBL823 10-21-2013 12:04 PM

And I'm not looking to go crazy high end, most I do is some leisurely trail riding on the river beds mostly sand and clay no logs or rocks.

DunmerBoy 10-21-2013 12:04 PM

You can extend the bumpstops to keep that from happening. a quick search on the forum or google will give you plenty of ways people have done this :2thumbsup:

TBL823 10-21-2013 12:10 PM

Sounds like a piece of cake, any suggestions on the lift kits? Looking to go cheap but correct no pucks and coat hanger here lol


The time now is 06:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.