Cherokee Head lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee Head lights

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
myslo50

the harness is a must i just installed my headlight harness last week on stock sealed beams, and was a noticeable improvement.

NW99XJ-
i seen them housing on amazon, but couldn't get enough info on them. i have a set of hella 80/100 bulbs waiting to go in. i was curious about the housing you had because of the cut off looked pretty good on a 55w bulb. but i think i might go with glass housings because of the higher wattage bulbs and the extra heat they will produce.

myslo50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myslo50 View Post
the harness is a must i just installed my headlight harness last week on stock sealed beams, and was a noticeable improvement.

NW99XJ-
i seen them housing on amazon, but couldn't get enough info on them. i have a set of hella 80/100 bulbs waiting to go in. i was curious about the housing you had because of the cut off looked pretty good on a 55w bulb. but i think i might go with glass housings because of the higher wattage bulbs and the extra heat they will produce.
Yea for the higher wattage bulbs I would DEFINITELY run a glass housing.
Those PIAA's I ran for a little while were a bit hot, and now I have heat stress on the very center of the poly-carbonite lenses.... not a big deal, just looks off.....
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
loneeagle78
1990 XJ Cherokee 

not to be a "party pooper" on your decision, myslo50, but just so you realize that the bulbs you are going to run, 80/100 are for off road only. they are extremely bright. they are brighter at low beam than all stock high beam. just be prepared for possible ticket while running these. this is why you are seeing the 55/100 bulb that most are after. I know that you are wanting to see better, but for the on coming guy, it is a safety hazzard to come up on the 80 watt low beam.
I have come across some people that do not want to turn off their brights, and I have 5 kc 100 watt offroad lights and the upgrade in my hella lenses... I watch them swerve when I turn them all on..... so I hope this doesnt happen to you with the lights on low... good luck
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneeagle78
not to be a "party pooper" on your decision, myslo50, but just so you realize that the bulbs you are going to run, 80/100 are for off road only. they are extremely bright. they are brighter at low beam than all stock high beam. just be prepared for possible ticket while running these. this is why you are seeing the 55/100 bulb that most are after. I know that you are wanting to see better, but for the on coming guy, it is a safety hazzard to come up on the 80 watt low beam.
I have come across some people that do not want to turn off their brights, and I have 5 kc 100 watt offroad lights and the upgrade in my hella lenses... I watch them swerve when I turn them all on..... so I hope this doesnt happen to you with the lights on low... good luck
I run 100/80 and have never been flashed or ticketed. If your headlights are aimed properly its very unlikely you'll have any trouble
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
myslo50

trying not to be a thread hijacker here, but i have done extensive research before making a decision on better headlights for my 2000 xj. i was torn between projector and hella high watt halogen bulbs. doesnt really matter about the wattage of the bulbs( well in a way it kinda is because we need to see), its about the lenses and the cut off pattern that they produce. as stated above, if the headlights are aimed properly and have the right cut off you can run a 100w bulb and be fine. after i did my putco harness install my headlights were brighter and werent aimed properly and i was getting flashed all the time. my lights were dim before and i believe were aimed high but when i did the harness upgrade, im getting full watts to my bulbs now and made my lights brighter, so i had to re-aim, now there fine.

i do realize that stock headlights are 55/65w, im not worried about the extra wattage bulbs. if i run a glass dot housing, its gonna be kinda hard to prove that my headlights are modified, unless taken apart. i would be more worried about the ones that are using the plastic housings or non dot housings with higher wattage bulbs or the ones that are running projector lights with no high beams.

and technically anyone of us can get a ticket for anything on our vehicles that is modified beyond state and federal laws.

i dont want to get shut out of this thread or get off topic, so to the original post what are good headlights for the jeep, start with a putco harness to get proper wattage at the bulb and to take the load off the headlight switch. and from there its up to you on the headlight options there are. best to do is Google search H4 conversion and there will be a war between projector headlight upgrade and high wattage H4 bulbs. basically what it all comes down to is peoples personal opinions and experiences they encounter. there is really no right or wrong. thats why there are these forums to blog personal experiences.
myslo50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #21
Aj86

I just want something that will light up the road in front of me good! My stockers are pathetic when it rains or on a cloudy night. I don't mind paying for quality but mine is a daily driver and at the same time I don't want to get ridiculous with this either. Sounds like anything is better than stock but if I am going to up great them I want to spend the money wisely too. I had IPFs on my early bronco and they were awesome! So I thought about them but was wanting to make sure.
Aj86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.