Cherokee with Doors or No Doors? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee with Doors or No Doors?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

View Poll Results: Jeep Cherokee with No Doors?
Jeep Cherokees with no doors are cool 206 74.91%
Jeep Cherokees with no doors is not cool 69 25.09%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #91
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

heres mine

"my jeep burns the gas your prius saves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672 View Post
Leather makes me sweat like Kanye West at a David Allan Coe concert...

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
jeepster425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #92
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosvt View Post
Oh, I'm not arguing that it doesn't ADD support, I'm just saying it wasn't intended to. I know it's not gonna destroy it or anything either.

I don't do doorless but all of this talk of how the doors and hatch add ridgidity really makes me wanna do a cage of some sort.
I didnt even notice the steering wheel, thanks for pointing it out. Personally I think that Jeep looks like ****, but thats just me. Ill take the tires and engine, and scrap the rest.

Think of the XJ body as a cardboard box. When whole, there is a fair amount of structure to it and while still weak does resit a fair amount of twisting.

Now cut out one entire end of the box. You will notice it is now much easier to twist the box.

Now imagine that end is put back on, and cut out smaller rectangles on the side. While the box might be a little more flimsy, it still has a fair amount of structure since there is still a "roof, framerails" and sides of the boxes to resist the twisting.

While taking the doors off might have a small effect on the unibody, it is significantly less than it would be by taking the rear hatch off.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #93
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Word. I love that jeep. Personally though, I'd have to make some of those 1/3 doors I saw in another thread. The look is my biggest problem with doorless and those solve that for me.
1slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #94
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Mmmmmmmmm

Rain sucks

Unread 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #95
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonXJ View Post
Mmmmmmmmm

Rain sucks

Lol I take it you didn't make it easy to put the door back on? Took the entire hinge off instead of cutting off the bottoms? Or just didn't care ?

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #96
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Lol I take it you didn't make it easy to put the door back on? Took the entire hinge off instead of cutting off the bottoms? Or just didn't care ?
Thats what the average person would think...but what happened was I slid down a hill while in vapor lock while wheeling and my door was open and there was a tree, and it hyper extended...breaking the top hinges weld 80% of the way, so the door is a ***** and a half to take on/off...and I didnt shorten the hinge studs/round off the ends yet. AND I didnt think it was gunna rain today haha...

Its still easier than thosedamn torx bolts that are unreachable....
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #97
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonXJ View Post
Thats what the average person would think...but what happened was I slid down a hill while in vapor lock while wheeling and my door was open and there was a tree, and it hyper extended...breaking the top hinges weld 80% of the way, so the door is a ***** and a half to take on/off...and I didnt shorten the hinge studs/round off the ends yet. AND I didnt think it was gunna rain today haha...

Its still easier than thosedamn torx bolts that are unreachable....
Lol, nice one

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #98
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Lol, nice one
Yeup, classic me. Lol.

I should have fixed it today...but it is supposed to be nice all week!
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #99
jettatdi
1973 FSJ Cherokee 

In my opinion, a doorless xj does not look good. They look like they are missing something. However, a homemade half door looks great on an xj. It fills in the door jam. This is just my opinion though.
jettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #100
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'm planning on going doorless this weekend, I hope so at least, but I have a feeling my parents wont like it too much....

And well done half doors are freaking awsome. A guy on cherokeeforum made some very nice ones.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #101
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Doorless 4 doors look funny. That includes wranglers.

That said, It's a mod, so I kinda have to try it.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #102
NYREVIS24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

stricktly for wheeling its gangsta....as a daily driver keep the doors on.. cold,and rainy weather sucks.and you dont have to worry about anyone stealing your stuff
NYREVIS24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #103
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Going door-less this weekend for just driving around town and the beach. I'm too jealous of my door-less wrangler friends. Door-less off-road wouldn't be the best idea unless I stayed out of the tight trails.

Branches scratching my paint are whatever
Branches to my face - no good.

but it would be sweet through the more open areas.
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #104
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Man this thread made me chuckle.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #105
XJcaveman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i like the look of a 2 door xj doorless but the 4 doors just don't look right. and sigh. i own a 4 door...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.