Cherokee with Doors or No Doors? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee with Doors or No Doors?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

View Poll Results: Jeep Cherokee with No Doors?
Jeep Cherokees with no doors are cool 206 74.91%
Jeep Cherokees with no doors is not cool 69 25.09%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Unread 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
USMC_XJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
The doors on the cherokees and Grand cherokees provide rigidity to the unibody frame. By taking the doors off you risk flexing the body to much and breaking windows. I have buddies that this has happened to...so just because it looks cool to you doesnt mean it's right. And i agree with you NiksXJ, it does look gay. If your BF wanted a wrangler he should have gotten one.

This. (my jeep )


not this

Also, I don't think that you respect fellow jeepers when you call they're rides gay. That's just immaturity I guess.

Go find a crash test video of an xj, in slow motion, you can see the doors actuall open a couple inches and are pretty much untouched.

__________________
1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
sonoran_Tj
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX/Tucson, AZ
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Nope it was in GREAT condition had no rust and mods done by a 4x4 shop.
Mods can weaken a system, even if properly installed.
__________________
KF7EZG

White Jeep Club #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes97 View Post
Rifles are part science and part voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
I remember when I killed my first zombie, I stood there for a good 30 seconds waiting for this weird voice to say "HEAD...SHOT", I was kind of bummed then nothing happened. :)
sonoran_Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
f3arn0FJ
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
i think its great how people who DON'T own a cherokee, keep saying that doors are needed.

however, the people who have cherokees and have successfully taken off their doors and still put them on and close just fine, don't know what we're talking about. ...

oh well. im not here to argue on the internet. i like my cherokee with the doors off, as the title asks. and there are TONS of people who do the same as me and do not have problems....

but you guys with tj's know everything about xj's, i forgot.

EDIT : OH AND I FORGOT, WAS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU 2006sport?


Don't get mad at 2006sport, I feel kinda bad for the guy because he drives a TJ.....although it is one step up from his friend's taco.

Oh, and if any of you nay sayers wanna prove a point, I'll take my doors off and you take your doors off and lets play chicken.
__________________
Zombie Hunters member #4
Eric
f3arn0FJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
USMC_XJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,641
I am in no way mad at anyone. However, I do not like it when someone trash talks another model, even more, a fellow jeeper. That is disrespectful. I also can not stand when they argue a point when they do not drive a cherokee in the first place.

If you have a problem with what we do with OUR jeeps, guess what, too ****ing bad. Its my jeep and if I want to chop the top and put a soft top on, are they going to give me **** for that too? That needs to stop.

Also, you say that taking the doors off affects the rigidity of the unibody, (lets pretend for a moment that that is in fact true). I am only putting my self in danger. And if someone wants to ride with me with the doors off, they know the danger. The only one that would get hurt with my doors off, would be me.
__________________
1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3arn0FJ View Post


Don't get mad at 2006sport, I feel kinda bad for the guy because he drives a TJ.....although it is one step up from his friend's taco.

Oh, and if any of you nay sayers wanna prove a point, I'll take my doors off and you take your doors off and lets play chicken.
Hey come on guys....those are my feelings you're talking about

I dont have a problem with your rides i am stating that doors play a small roll in the XJs unibody strength. I talked to a service tech at the Jeep dealer who had told me so.

But it's ok. Some XJs and ZJs (not WJs) look sick with no doors.........................Off road that is
__________________
2011 Ford Fusion Sport
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
Jones
Consider the following...
 
Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,779
BigDaveZJ runs no doors and has cut the top off of his ZJ, he hasn't folded it up like a taco.


__________________
Put your bacon where your mouth is!
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
EricsXJ
The Post man
 
EricsXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 8,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Ok i'll let you guys keep believing that they provide no structural integrity. In a crash you guys are going to be ****ed with your doors off. Wranglers are crash tested with no doors (not saying it is safer it is just they worked around the fact that the doors are going to be off a wrangler at some point so they beefed it up)....XJs aren't

Have fun in la la land.
2006sport,

The problem with your position in this debate is you switched from talking about one situation (off-road body-flex) to a crash (on-road, assumed high speed). Those are two different situations and you cannot apply one factor such as the lack of doors to both and say it is the same.

For off-road situations, specifically low speed rock crawling, the body of the XJ will flex, unless it is greatly reinforced. Sometimes it flexes to the point the doors or hatch will not open when you are flexed up. This is due to the pressure put on the striker. Up until that point, the doors provide zero structural support in this example. The idea that the factory did not make the XJ (or ZJ) doors removeable so they must provide support is false. The factory never intended the strikers to be bumpstops for body flex. Additionally, in 1983 when the XJ was designed, you can be pretty sure they had no idea that we would be driving the XJ and ZJ over the type of extreme terrain that we are today. So ultimately the correct answer is that in this situation doors were never made to support the unibody structure. Wheeling without doors will not cause damage to the unibody. What could cause damage is flexing the unibody too much, or too many times over a long period of time. But that is not because you took the doors off, it is because you failed to strengthen and stiffen the unibody.

For high speed crashes and rollovers, of course doors add support to the whole structure. Any vehicle can withstand crushing better with doors than without.
__________________
Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website - EricsXJ.com

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #23
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo
 
ReconMill's Avatar
2005  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dover, OH
Posts: 3,862
I dont understand why some TJ guys get so butt hurt about us removing our doors, and then they go and stretch their wheel bases... We dont make fun of you for making your wheel base longer so why make fun of us for taking our doors off? Its the same concept IMO... doing something out of the ordinary because we can!
__________________
Kyle - I mod stuff®
2005 Subaru Legacy GT
SOLD!!! - 1999 XJ Build Thread
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #24
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
Well goodness guys I was just asking if yall thought it looks good or silly. No need to be so ARGH. lol.

I drive and xj and so does my boyfriend. I don't mind if we are wheeling and he takes the doors off but in town I think it looks odd. To me it looks like you couldn't afford doors or they got stolen. Idk I'm just not fond of the way it looks.
__________________
There’s a hole in the world like a great black pit and it’s filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,830
THanks for the explanation Eric. Obviously the service techs at the Jeep dealer are yahoos and dont know ****.

Millhousenator, No i am not but hurt because you take your doors off. I personally think it looks goofy but that is just me. I was stating what i was told by the service techs that they did provide support. But it is all resolved now..I will be the man and say that i was wrong and sorry for the heated argument and thread hijack..
__________________
2011 Ford Fusion Sport
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #26
aircruiser
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,701
FTW!!



and yes, i do plan on strengthening the unibody in the future..after the jeep no longer serves DD duty
__________________
1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #27
1990JEEPXJ
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,076
i just wonder why is it that if the hatch provides rigidity, why is it fiberglass? (on pre 97 models) i have a feeling this is the same concept that eric explained. they provide no support until flexed to the point there is pressure on the striker, merely providing resistance, not structural rigidity.
__________________
Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #28
dcorn
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,070
I love driving my XJ with the doors off. Gets tons of looks and comments, mostly humorous and positive. I guess TJ guys are mad we are stealing their thunder?

Not sure why TJ owners are in here trying to tell us what to do... And I wouldn't believe a word a factory tech told me about structural rigidity. They are trained to do maintainence, and more than likely have no idea about the engineering of the vehicle.
__________________
2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
OME HD/5100s - 31" Toyo AT2
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #29
BRad704
Nothing to see here...
 
BRad704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiksXJ View Post
Well goodness guys I was just asking if yall thought it looks good or silly. No need to be so ARGH. lol.

I drive and xj and so does my boyfriend. I don't mind if we are wheeling and he takes the doors off but in town I think it looks odd. To me it looks like you couldn't afford doors or they got stolen. Idk I'm just not fond of the way it looks.
I voted not cool for the exact reason you said here... even though i can take my driver's door off, I just dont like the look for something on the street...

But the guys that are removable, caged, really off-road built and driven... its great! Rock on!
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #30
white_87yj
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ridgefield CT
Posts: 306
the doors just hang there. if they were in any way structural u would need a grinder to open and a welder to close them. i like the 2 doors doorless.
__________________
./l ,[____],
|----L –=llllll=-
(o)_)(o)_)-o-)_)
.____________
|[__].|__\_____\,
|/ ..\_|-_/ ..\_.[]|||||[]
..(o)_)-0-(o)_)-o-(o)_)
Firefighters Jeep Club
My stock back tire isnt flat, its "aired down" for rock crawling. duh
its a jeep thing... ive alway understood
We always need luck, we drive jeeps.
white_87yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.