Cherokee with Doors or No Doors? - JeepForum.com

View Poll Results: Jeep Cherokee with No Doors?
Jeep Cherokees with no doors are cool 207 74.73%
Jeep Cherokees with no doors is not cool 70 25.27%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
Cherokee with Doors or No Doors?

Is it cool to have a jeep cherokee with no doors? Vote now!


Thereís a hole in the world like a great black pit and itís filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 900
Aren't doors on XJ structural part of the vehicle? Unlike Wranglers (with separate frames and bodies on top), taking doors off on Cherokees will weaken their structural integrity. Now if you were to install a proper roll cage to maintain integrity of the unibody construction, taking doors off would be safe. Still it won't look cool (imho).

'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
'15 KL Trailhawk V6 3.2L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline  
post #3 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
supniceyeah
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: King of Prussia PA
Posts: 252
from what i understand, there is no risk to the structure of the unibody with no doors on, the hatch i think adds some support but even that isnt so bad.

i've had my doors off my zj and i LOVE it, i think it looks good too, but you may run into problems with the law though with having doors off, theres plenty of threads on here about that

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter 5.5" lift, 33x12.5 mud terrains, black steel pro comps, 231 tc, 3.73 gearing
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter, 242 tc, stock
1987 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2 liter, stock
supniceyeah is offline  
post #4 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
I put this on jeep stories? oops. Oh well. No my boyfriend likes to take his doors off and I think it looks kinda gay and I was wondering what JF thought

Thereís a hole in the world like a great black pit and itís filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline  
post #5 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 PM
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford
Posts: 10,823
The doors on the cherokees and Grand cherokees provide rigidity to the unibody frame. By taking the doors off you risk flexing the body to much and breaking windows. I have buddies that this has happened to...so just because it looks cool to you doesnt mean it's right. And i agree with you NiksXJ, it does look gay. If your BF wanted a wrangler he should have gotten one.

This. (my jeep )


not this
2006_Sport is offline  
post #6 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 PM
USMC_XJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,641
doors do not add much to structual integrity. the force of any impact is designed to go around the passenger compartment. i love the doors off my xj. helps a bunch since i no longer have a/c..

you do need the hatch, however. that does add rigidity since its perpendicular to the frame

1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline  
post #7 of 168 Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
Yeah he doesn't have air conditioning but Im pretty sure he'd do it either way

Thereís a hole in the world like a great black pit and itís filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline  
post #8 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford
Posts: 10,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
doors do not add much to structual integrity. the force of any impact is designed to go around the passenger compartment. i love the doors off my xj. helps a bunch since i no longer have a/c..

you do need the hatch, however. that does add rigidity since its perpendicular to the frame
Oh really now? So can you explain why my buddies jeep folded up like a taco (Uni body bent and busted out the rear windows) when he was running no doors on his XJ? But my other friend alex did it on that same trail with his doors on and his XJ was straight, same line and everything.

IF THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY NOT MADE TO COME OFF THAT MEANS THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

THE DOORS DO PROVIDE RIGIDITY IN THE UNIBODY STRUCTURE. Is that clear enough for you soldier? The wrangler was designed for the impact of a front or rear end collision to go around the doors and into the frame. This is why there is a warning label in wranglers stating that the doors are there for protection from the elements and that's it. I see no such warning label on XJs. Your doors are there for a reason...leave them on.
2006_Sport is offline  
post #9 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
f3arn0FJ
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Oh really now? So can you explain why my buddies jeep folded up like a taco (Uni body bent and busted out the rear windows) when he was running no doors on his XJ? But my other friend alex did it on that same trail with his doors on and his XJ was straight, same line and everything.

IF THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY NOT MADE TO COME OFF THAT MEANS THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

THE DOORS DO PROVIDE RIGIDITY IN THE UNIBODY STRUCTURE. Is that clear enough for you soldier? The wrangler was designed for the impact of a front or rear end collision to go around the doors and into the frame. This is why there is a warning label in wranglers stating that the doors are there for protection from the elements and that's it. I see no such warning label on XJs. Your doors are there for a reason...leave them on.
Grrr....

My buddy and I run with our doors off all the time. We hit the trails every other weekend and we have yet to have a problem. Miller Jeep trail, cleghorn, jumpen in the sand and still no problems.

Maybe your buddy's jeep folded like a taco because he had other problems with it. If my friend goes up a trail and blows out his D35, that doesn't mean if I take the same line going up that trail that my D35 will blow out.

Zombie Hunters member #4
Eric
f3arn0FJ is offline  
post #10 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
That1guy
Registered User
 
That1guy's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
Aren't doors on XJ structural part of the vehicle? Unlike Wranglers (with separate frames and bodies on top), taking doors off on Cherokees will weaken their structural integrity. Now if you were to install a proper roll cage to maintain integrity of the unibody construction, taking doors off would be safe. Still it won't look cool (imho).
No the doors add no strength to the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supniceyeah View Post
from what i understand, there is no risk to the structure of the unibody with no doors on, the hatch i think adds some support but even that isnt so bad.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
The doors on the cherokees and Grand cherokees provide rigidity to the unibody frame. By taking the doors off you risk flexing the body to much and breaking windows. I have buddies that this has happened to...so just because it looks cool to you doesnt mean it's right. And i agree with you NiksXJ, it does look gay. If your BF wanted a wrangler he should have gotten one.
Wow you're wrong. The doors do nothing. The only thing holding the door on is a hing and a small latch. How does that hold the door enough to be structually stable? The hatch does add some laterial strength, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
doors do not add much to structual integrity. the force of any impact is designed to go around the passenger compartment. i love the doors off my xj. helps a bunch since i no longer have a/c..

you do need the hatch, however. that does add rigidity since its perpendicular to the frame
Again that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Oh really now? So can you explain why my buddies jeep folded up like a taco (Uni body bent and busted out the rear windows) when he was running no doors on his XJ? But my other friend alex did it on that same trail with his doors on and his XJ was straight, same line and everything.

IF THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY NOT MADE TO COME OFF THAT MEANS THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

THE DOORS DO PROVIDE RIGIDITY IN THE UNIBODY STRUCTURE. Is that clear enough for you soldier? The wrangler was designed for the impact of a front or rear end collision to go around the doors and into the frame. This is why there is a warning label in wranglers stating that the doors are there for protection from the elements and that's it. I see no such warning label on XJs. Your doors are there for a reason...leave them on.
Why did one XJ fold up with the doors off? It was probally a POS and had a weakend unibody do to rust, cracking, mods, etc... Many people take their doors off their XJ/ZJ and have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3arn0FJ View Post
Grrr....

My buddy and I run with our doors off all the time. We hit the trails every other weekend and we have yet to have a problem. Miller Jeep trail, cleghorn, jumpen in the sand and still no problems.

Maybe your buddy's jeep folded like a taco because he had other problems with it. If my friend goes up a trail and blows out his D35, that doesn't mean if I take the same line going up that trail that my D35 will blow out.

I agree

I'm forever grateful to Speedycat and RnEmOvr for their generosity
That1guy is offline  
post #11 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford
Posts: 10,823
Ok i'll let you guys keep believing that they provide no structural integrity. In a crash you guys are going to be ****ed with your doors off. Wranglers are crash tested with no doors (not saying it is safer it is just they worked around the fact that the doors are going to be off a wrangler at some point so they beefed it up)....XJs aren't

Have fun in la la land.
2006_Sport is offline  
post #12 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford
Posts: 10,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
Why did one XJ fold up with the doors off? It was probally a POS and had a weakend unibody do to rust, cracking, mods, etc... Many people take their doors off their XJ/ZJ and have no problems.
:
Nope it was in GREAT condition had no rust and mods done by a 4x4 shop.
2006_Sport is offline  
post #13 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
96zjman
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 239
Me and a friend of mine both have 4 door XJ's and we have wheeled many times without our front doors on, we have never removed all 4 at the same time

1999 4door XJ stock for now
96zjman is offline  
post #14 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
USMC_XJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,641
i think its great how people who DON'T own a cherokee, keep saying that doors are needed.

however, the people who have cherokees and have successfully taken off their doors and still put them on and close just fine, don't know what we're talking about. ...

oh well. im not here to argue on the internet. i like my cherokee with the doors off, as the title asks. and there are TONS of people who do the same as me and do not have problems....

but you guys with tj's know everything about xj's, i forgot.

EDIT : OH AND I FORGOT, WAS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU 2006sport?

1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.

Last edited by USMC_XJ; 08-12-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: some extra stuff
USMC_XJ is offline  
post #15 of 168 Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
theducksguts
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene
Posts: 2,987
I own both. I don't think I would take the doors off either of my XJ's. Just not my thing.
theducksguts is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
We know YJ soft doors fit the front of the XJ...what about YJ half doors? Motorvated XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 20 10-11-2013 12:15 PM
Quick Disconnect for full power doors/windows/etc for removing doors? loudog3114 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 5 04-19-2010 09:42 PM
97 cherokee doors on a 93 Wheelman93 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 3 02-10-2010 03:34 PM
looking for cherokee doors mattman8706 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 9 02-23-2008 08:38 AM
Cherokee doors to fit MJ? 90commanche MJ Comanche Technical Forum 4 11-01-2005 07:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome