Cherokee with Doors or No Doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Cherokee with Doors or No Doors?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

View Poll Results: Jeep Cherokee with No Doors?
Jeep Cherokees with no doors are cool 206 74.91%
Jeep Cherokees with no doors is not cool 69 25.09%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
Cherokee with Doors or No Doors?

Is it cool to have a jeep cherokee with no doors? Vote now!

__________________
Thereís a hole in the world like a great black pit and itís filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 806
Aren't doors on XJ structural part of the vehicle? Unlike Wranglers (with separate frames and bodies on top), taking doors off on Cherokees will weaken their structural integrity. Now if you were to install a proper roll cage to maintain integrity of the unibody construction, taking doors off would be safe. Still it won't look cool (imho).
__________________
'01 TJ Renegade I6 4.0L
'03 WG Limited V8 4.7L
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
supniceyeah
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: King of Prussia PA
Posts: 248
from what i understand, there is no risk to the structure of the unibody with no doors on, the hatch i think adds some support but even that isnt so bad.

i've had my doors off my zj and i LOVE it, i think it looks good too, but you may run into problems with the law though with having doors off, theres plenty of threads on here about that
__________________
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter 5.5" lift, 33x12.5 mud terrains, black steel pro comps, 231 tc, 3.73 gearing
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter, 242 tc, stock
1987 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2 liter, stock
supniceyeah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
I put this on jeep stories? oops. Oh well. No my boyfriend likes to take his doors off and I think it looks kinda gay and I was wondering what JF thought
__________________
Thereís a hole in the world like a great black pit and itís filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
The doors on the cherokees and Grand cherokees provide rigidity to the unibody frame. By taking the doors off you risk flexing the body to much and breaking windows. I have buddies that this has happened to...so just because it looks cool to you doesnt mean it's right. And i agree with you NiksXJ, it does look gay. If your BF wanted a wrangler he should have gotten one.

This. (my jeep )


not this
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
USMC_XJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,641
doors do not add much to structual integrity. the force of any impact is designed to go around the passenger compartment. i love the doors off my xj. helps a bunch since i no longer have a/c..

you do need the hatch, however. that does add rigidity since its perpendicular to the frame
__________________
1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
NiksXJ
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita falls TX
Posts: 52
Yeah he doesn't have air conditioning but Im pretty sure he'd do it either way
__________________
Thereís a hole in the world like a great black pit and itís filled with people who are filled with shxx and the vermin of the world inhabit it.
NiksXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
doors do not add much to structual integrity. the force of any impact is designed to go around the passenger compartment. i love the doors off my xj. helps a bunch since i no longer have a/c..

you do need the hatch, however. that does add rigidity since its perpendicular to the frame
Oh really now? So can you explain why my buddies jeep folded up like a taco (Uni body bent and busted out the rear windows) when he was running no doors on his XJ? But my other friend alex did it on that same trail with his doors on and his XJ was straight, same line and everything.

IF THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY NOT MADE TO COME OFF THAT MEANS THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

THE DOORS DO PROVIDE RIGIDITY IN THE UNIBODY STRUCTURE. Is that clear enough for you soldier? The wrangler was designed for the impact of a front or rear end collision to go around the doors and into the frame. This is why there is a warning label in wranglers stating that the doors are there for protection from the elements and that's it. I see no such warning label on XJs. Your doors are there for a reason...leave them on.
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
f3arn0FJ
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Oh really now? So can you explain why my buddies jeep folded up like a taco (Uni body bent and busted out the rear windows) when he was running no doors on his XJ? But my other friend alex did it on that same trail with his doors on and his XJ was straight, same line and everything.

IF THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY NOT MADE TO COME OFF THAT MEANS THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

THE DOORS DO PROVIDE RIGIDITY IN THE UNIBODY STRUCTURE. Is that clear enough for you soldier? The wrangler was designed for the impact of a front or rear end collision to go around the doors and into the frame. This is why there is a warning label in wranglers stating that the doors are there for protection from the elements and that's it. I see no such warning label on XJs. Your doors are there for a reason...leave them on.
Grrr....

My buddy and I run with our doors off all the time. We hit the trails every other weekend and we have yet to have a problem. Miller Jeep trail, cleghorn, jumpen in the sand and still no problems.

Maybe your buddy's jeep folded like a taco because he had other problems with it. If my friend goes up a trail and blows out his D35, that doesn't mean if I take the same line going up that trail that my D35 will blow out.
__________________
Zombie Hunters member #4
Eric
f3arn0FJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
That1guy
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
Aren't doors on XJ structural part of the vehicle? Unlike Wranglers (with separate frames and bodies on top), taking doors off on Cherokees will weaken their structural integrity. Now if you were to install a proper roll cage to maintain integrity of the unibody construction, taking doors off would be safe. Still it won't look cool (imho).
No the doors add no strength to the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supniceyeah View Post
from what i understand, there is no risk to the structure of the unibody with no doors on, the hatch i think adds some support but even that isnt so bad.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
The doors on the cherokees and Grand cherokees provide rigidity to the unibody frame. By taking the doors off you risk flexing the body to much and breaking windows. I have buddies that this has happened to...so just because it looks cool to you doesnt mean it's right. And i agree with you NiksXJ, it does look gay. If your BF wanted a wrangler he should have gotten one.
Wow you're wrong. The doors do nothing. The only thing holding the door on is a hing and a small latch. How does that hold the door enough to be structually stable? The hatch does add some laterial strength, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
doors do not add much to structual integrity. the force of any impact is designed to go around the passenger compartment. i love the doors off my xj. helps a bunch since i no longer have a/c..

you do need the hatch, however. that does add rigidity since its perpendicular to the frame
Again that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Oh really now? So can you explain why my buddies jeep folded up like a taco (Uni body bent and busted out the rear windows) when he was running no doors on his XJ? But my other friend alex did it on that same trail with his doors on and his XJ was straight, same line and everything.

IF THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY NOT MADE TO COME OFF THAT MEANS THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

THE DOORS DO PROVIDE RIGIDITY IN THE UNIBODY STRUCTURE. Is that clear enough for you soldier? The wrangler was designed for the impact of a front or rear end collision to go around the doors and into the frame. This is why there is a warning label in wranglers stating that the doors are there for protection from the elements and that's it. I see no such warning label on XJs. Your doors are there for a reason...leave them on.
Why did one XJ fold up with the doors off? It was probally a POS and had a weakend unibody do to rust, cracking, mods, etc... Many people take their doors off their XJ/ZJ and have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3arn0FJ View Post
Grrr....

My buddy and I run with our doors off all the time. We hit the trails every other weekend and we have yet to have a problem. Miller Jeep trail, cleghorn, jumpen in the sand and still no problems.

Maybe your buddy's jeep folded like a taco because he had other problems with it. If my friend goes up a trail and blows out his D35, that doesn't mean if I take the same line going up that trail that my D35 will blow out.

I agree
__________________
I'm forever grateful to Speedycat and RnEmOvr for their generosity
That1guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Ok i'll let you guys keep believing that they provide no structural integrity. In a crash you guys are going to be ****ed with your doors off. Wranglers are crash tested with no doors (not saying it is safer it is just they worked around the fact that the doors are going to be off a wrangler at some point so they beefed it up)....XJs aren't

Have fun in la la land.
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
Why did one XJ fold up with the doors off? It was probally a POS and had a weakend unibody do to rust, cracking, mods, etc... Many people take their doors off their XJ/ZJ and have no problems.
:
Nope it was in GREAT condition had no rust and mods done by a 4x4 shop.
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
96zjman
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 239
Me and a friend of mine both have 4 door XJ's and we have wheeled many times without our front doors on, we have never removed all 4 at the same time
__________________
1999 4door XJ stock for now
96zjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
USMC_XJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,641
i think its great how people who DON'T own a cherokee, keep saying that doors are needed.

however, the people who have cherokees and have successfully taken off their doors and still put them on and close just fine, don't know what we're talking about. ...

oh well. im not here to argue on the internet. i like my cherokee with the doors off, as the title asks. and there are TONS of people who do the same as me and do not have problems....

but you guys with tj's know everything about xj's, i forgot.

EDIT : OH AND I FORGOT, WAS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU 2006sport?
__________________
1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.

Last edited by USMC_XJ; 08-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: some extra stuff
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
theducksguts
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,982
I own both. I don't think I would take the doors off either of my XJ's. Just not my thing.
__________________
00 XJ Sport 0331 Victim
99 XJ Sport
98 TJ

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.