Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Cherokee with No Doors?

Cherokee with Doors or No Doors?

68K views 169 replies 88 participants last post by  FairlanePhil 
#1 ·
Is it cool to have a jeep cherokee with no doors? Vote now!

#85 ·
I like how they didn't bother to align that Xj in the pic.

Also, the hatch is not part of the structure. The fact that it won't open only means the frame is twisting and its jammed shut. Using your logic the doors would also be part of the structure or unibody as it is called.

#86 ·
I like how they didn't bother to align that Xj in the pic.

Also, the hatch is not part of the structure. The fact that it won't open only means the frame is twisting and its jammed shut. Using your logic the doors would also be part of the structure or unibody as it is called.
.....sigh....

1. Im impressed you can tell the alignment is off with those two pictures. :rolleyes:

2. So the fact that the body looses its structure when the hatch is open doesnt mean the hatch is structural? :rolleyes:
Using my logic, I can see that the door glass is not structural because it is held in with seals and one nut, not hinges and a latch.

#88 ·
Oh, I'm not arguing that it doesn't ADD support, I'm just saying it wasn't intended to. I know it's not gonna destroy it or anything either.

I don't do doorless but all of this talk of how the doors and hatch add ridgidity really makes me wanna do a cage of some sort.

#92 ·
Oh, I'm not arguing that it doesn't ADD support, I'm just saying it wasn't intended to. I know it's not gonna destroy it or anything either.

I don't do doorless but all of this talk of how the doors and hatch add ridgidity really makes me wanna do a cage of some sort.
I didnt even notice the steering wheel, thanks for pointing it out. :thumbsup:personally I think that Jeep looks like ****, but thats just me. Ill take the tires and engine, and scrap the rest.

Think of the XJ body as a cardboard box. When whole, there is a fair amount of structure to it and while still weak does resit a fair amount of twisting.

Now cut out one entire end of the box. You will notice it is now much easier to twist the box.

Now imagine that end is put back on, and cut out smaller rectangles on the side. While the box might be a little more flimsy, it still has a fair amount of structure since there is still a "roof, framerails" and sides of the boxes to resist the twisting.

While taking the doors off might have a small effect on the unibody, it is significantly less than it would be by taking the rear hatch off.

#101 ·
Doorless 4 doors look funny. That includes wranglers.

That said, It's a mod, so I kinda have to try it.

#103 ·
Going door-less this weekend for just driving around town and the beach. I'm too jealous of my door-less wrangler friends. Door-less off-road wouldn't be the best idea unless I stayed out of the tight trails.

Branches scratching my paint are whatever
Branches to my face - no good.

but it would be sweet through the more open areas. :)

#108 ·
GOIN DOORLESS THIS WEEKEND!!!111elevenn11!!111

it's been like 80* and blue skys for the past two weeks, and I cant take being locked inside anymore. So im cutting the doors no matter what my parents think. i just gotta be secretive about it. Plus, 2 door cherokees look the best:rtft:

#112 ·
i went on my first doorles rock crawl yesterday, and it was an adventure.. the seatbelt basically just prevents u from falling out.. thats it.

it was pretty dam cool though to be open like that though. THe way he had his doors was remove stock pins and center thing, and leave the bottom pin in and go to home depot and find the right size pin to slip in and out when putting the doors back on.

going up waterfalls and big rocks was a bit sketchy i got out a few times..

#114 ·
I say no to doorless Cherokees...I think it makes the Cherokees look like wannabees. The body lines aren't as clean with the doors off.

What I liked best about the Wranglers though, was going topless. There's no arguing that one.

(Yes, I know you can chop a Cherokee and what not...not worth it in my opinion.)

#116 ·
I don't own a Wrangler. I'm in the market for a Cherokee. Regardless, I still think Cherokees with out doors don't look good. The Cherokees weren't designed to have the doors removed, so without them, the body lines aren't as clean. That's all I'm saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.