CB Antenna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > CB Antenna

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

CB Antenna

need some help, I'm not even close to experienced with wiring and whatnot, my history with CB radios is strictly at work on boats

but I'm looking to remove the radio antenna from the hood of my XJ, and possibly mounting it in the rear of the jeep, using a bracket and finding a write-up

if i removed the radio antenna can i rewire it to come out of the cb antenna? or could i simply relocate my radio antenna by the rear hatch

any help/criticism appreciated, and please remember, I'm new to the wiring and even mechanical tasks, so please be easy, I'm here to learn
thanks!

Unread 11-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The radio antenna is literally a single piece of wire. If you can drill a hole and route the wire you can move where ever you want. CB is nothing but a positive and a negative and a single coaxle for the antenna. Google CB installs, there's a million write ups out there for what you do and don't want to do with a CB.
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

also im not planning on putting a CB radio in my jeep, just like the look of the black CB antenna, so can it be used as radio? and just run the wires back through the jeep on the passengers side
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
The radio antenna is literally a single piece of wire. If you can drill a hole and route the wire you can move where ever you want. CB is nothing but a positive and a negative and a single coaxle for the antenna. Google CB installs, there's a million write ups out there for what you do and don't want to do with a CB.
ohh okay, gotcha! thanks for not judging me, I'm learning
but thats what my plan is, thanks for the help!
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

No, a cb antenna can not be used as an AM/FM radio antenna. Different frequencies. You would have to cut the wire within the CB antenna to match that needed for those frequencies. Also, running a radio antenna, really any antenna, within 102", 8', of a CB antenna will cause CB interference.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Agility

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Check out this Firestik article from 1996. I had it in my bookmarks; when I get around to putting CB back in I might look into this. I haven't done any other looking but this might get you started.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/am-fm-cb.htm
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ View Post
also im not planning on putting a CB radio in my jeep, just like the look of the black CB antenna, so can it be used as radio? and just run the wires back through the jeep on the passengers side
No, but you can just buy an AM/FM antenna like that. They just screw on.
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
No, a cb antenna can not be used as an AM/FM radio antenna. Different frequencies. You would have to cut the wire within the CB antenna to match that needed for those frequencies. Also, running a radio antenna, really any antenna, within 102", 8', of a CB antenna will cause CB interference.
Some second gen firebirds had radios that were both CB and Am/FM which used the same antenna for both. The only issue i ever heard out of them was the antenna as it was telescopic and it would get stuck at times.
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.