Carseat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Carseat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
pmurph131
I got the stock XJ blues

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Carseat

So...I know this isn't your normal XJ topic, but my wife is working on our second, so I'm working on getting them from here to there. The bigger one is in a forward facing seat, so that won't be a problem, but I'm looking for a rear-facing seat that will fit behind the passenger seat of a 4-door. Who's got little ones, and how do you keep them safe?

pmurph131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So here's what I have to do with the bucket:

Slide the passenger seat all the way forward. Install bucket in the base. Move the bucket's arm down. Slide passenger seat as far back as it will go with the bucket there. Don't expect your front passenger to be comfortable. My XJ is pretty much for me and the kids until the little one gets into a bigger seat (he's 5 months now).

Also, when you're installing the base (and big sibling's seat), you'll need to use those H-clips on the seatbelts since ours don't lock, and even then it's sketchy on the bucket base because of the plastic button on the actual belt. There's a limit to how far you can tighten the belt, and it's not quite short enough.

Here's the H-clip and that button. This is the big kid seat:
Unread 03-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
pmurph131
I got the stock XJ blues

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I remember the H clip from when my daughter was little. Back then I had a 2dr accord and I just took the passenger seat out completely, lol. My main goal is keeping my passenger comfortable. My wife is 5'9" so she needs at least some legroom.

She's got an easy setup for her Patriot because the passenger seat folds down flat, but that means no room for me. Which means if we're all traveling together anywhere, we have to fit in the XJ. I was worried about just what you said, that the passenger won't have much room. Maybe it's time for her to get another Grand Cherokee, she used to have one and loved it so I doubt it would be a tough sell. A little bit pricey though to trade in a Patriot for a GC.

Thanks for the advice! Anyone else? Some of you DD's out there must have rugrats. Anyone know a rear-facing model that fits well? If it's not the bucket/base type that's ok as long as it fits better.
Unread 03-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I can't remember the brand / models of rear facing seats we used with my two boys (who are now 5 and 7), but my XJ has never been the family hauler anyway so the passenger seat is always pretty far forward. My wife has only ridden in my last two XJs a combined 5-6 times in 7+ years. She's got a WJ that we use for family outings.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
kippo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I will look at my car seat if I remember i. The morning. But I have to slide the passenger seat up about 2 notches. And the forward facing seat is behind the driver seat.
kippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

With two you won't be able to afford to go anywhere anyway
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can fit my wife and both a forward facing and rear facing car seat in my XJ lol. Just try and find a small car seat, there is plenty of room even with the seats pretty far back.
image-827799058.jpg

For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
pmurph131
I got the stock XJ blues

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie
I can fit my wife and both a forward facing and rear facing car seat in my XJ lol. Just try and find a small car seat, there is plenty of room even with the seats pretty far back.
Is that the rear facing seat behind you? I forgot to mention that I'm 6'3", that might be tough. However, putting the wife in the back w/ the kids is something I didn't consider. That might solve my problems if I put the passenger seat forward with the rear facing seat behind it and the forward facing behind me so she can kick me in the back all day. As long as the wife's ok sitting in the back. Lol, we'll see. Thanks!
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes it is, I'm only 5'10" though so quite a difference, my wife is 5'9" and she fits comfortably in the front seat and "ok" in the back on short trips.

I don't have the car seats in my Jeep right now but I can take pics in a couple weeks.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.