carpet is the devil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > carpet is the devil

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 08-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

carpet is the devil

Im not sure who decided carpet inside a 4X4 was a good idea but they need a good slap i took mine out because it was smelling like a gym bag and found a few nasty rust holes. i was not expecting any rust with the condition my jeep is in id suggest to anyone to look under your carpet and see whats hiding under there. i was expecting more noise without my rust magnet in there but the noise was barely louder than with the carpet. I use the Xylene based deck coating and brushed it on i used about 1 and a 1/2 gallons the other 1/2 gallon ended up on the driveway
here is a few picture of how it turned out.

blue92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i havent looked yet but i might just herc the floors after i clean up some rust. but i like taking my jeep to the beach with the ladies and putting your bare feet on a herc'd floor might not feel the best. but i might do like bmyohn and toss in some rubber mats. but my carpet looks like hell too with mud, dust, holes and some wear and tear in the back..tools, tires, and other stuff
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
XJ_Austria
1994 XJ Cherokee 

You are definately right! I've thrown mine out about two months ago because I also had that smell and found what I was afraid of. Rust holes on the passengers side along the exhaust and in the rear around the fuel intake cover on the floor. But fortunately not too bad though. So I had it fixed and when I have finished with my suspension exchange I'll prime and bed line the whole floor and will leave the carpet out.
JKS Quick-Disconnects, rear sway bar deleted
XJ_Austria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
Disco
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those pictures are pretty convincing actually.
I could do without the old beer smell my jeep can never get rid of.
Dad (who gave it to me) was a pro at drinkin while driving..
Green Jeep Club Member #210
http://cardomain.com/ride/3127026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 View Post
We should go PETA on their *** and set it free!!!! We could call it PETJ...People for the Ethical Treatment of Jeeps
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Those pictures are pretty convincing actually.
I could do without the old beer smell my jeep can never get rid of.
Dad (who gave it to me) was a pro at drinkin while driving..
apparently not, if he spilled enough to make the jeep have that old beer smell.. a real pro wouldn't have spilled a drop!
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i was hesitant to do it for a while because i was worried about the noise on long trips and stuff also the bare feet on the floor thing but mats will still go in. it will just make it that much easier to clean out. it sure is gonna be nice just to hose it out when it gets dirty i work in a wood shop and it was amazing the sawdust i vacuumed out of it from under the carpet this was an easy weekend project it was really hot so by the time i finished a coat the spot where i started was getting tacky so i just went in laps around the jeep. the stuff i used was Ducan deck coating (Xylene based not vinyl) they have a texture base coat and a color coat but i just used the color coat (Dover grey) there is also a sand that they sell to add for non slip. i just went with a smooth surface, it will be easier to clean and i will be building a cargo deck with drawers and stuff in the back anyway. total cost, if i didn't spill would have been $40 1 gallon and a few cheap brushes i would really suggest a gas mask though i had 3 fans running and outside. i still had to do the hold breath and brush on then come out for a breather method would have taken no time at all if i could have stayed inside brushing the whole time.... also wouldn't have spilled as much on my door jams.

heres the stuff i used. i got it at home depot $35 per gallon
blue92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i was going to take my carpets out till i realized that if i do I'll be Fred Flintstone. Both my driver and passenger side floors are rusted out. I'm gonna have to get that fixed...before winter
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I did the same thing as you. I used about a gallon of dubli-color and put it on THICK. Road noise is the same as with carpet.
30/44 4.88s Disks all around
Rear Detroit/Open front
littleblackXj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.