Can your transmission actually Freeze? (as in get too cold) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Can your transmission actually Freeze? (as in get too cold)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can your transmission actually Freeze? (as in get too cold)

Heres something I have been curious about but have not posted until now.
I have a 2000 XJ, and last winter I parked it in deep snow overnight. In the morning I was going skiing so I went out to warm the jeep up, and move it forward a bit so I could more easily reach my ski rack. Anyway after I put it in drive and went forward a few feet I went to put it back in park but the transmission wouldnt budge. I drove around the block a few times, and when I got back I had no problem. After that incident I have never had any further problems.
So Could my transmission have gotten soo cold it wouldnt go back into park?

Last edited by Finallyajeep; 10-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Starboard M

Sounds more like your shifter linkage froze, and the exhaust or tranny heated it up enough to get it back into park.

I know at around -10* my tranny starts to hate life. I usually let it idle for about 5 minutes before I drive anywhere. You can hear it whining and the shifts are extremely harsh.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
bootht99
1990 XJ Cherokee 

just wait until it gets down to -45...
PURPLE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #10
bootht99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

I concur with the thought on the frozen linkage, I haven't had a problem shifting mine since I got it in 2005. I've been out in most of the snow storms. Let it warm up before you drive it, go out a few minutes early and start it up, put the heater on max heat+defrost to clear the windows and go back inside and finish that hot chocolate.
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post

I know at around -10* my tranny starts to hate life. I usually let it idle for about 5 minutes before I drive anywhere. You can hear it whining and the shifts are extremely harsh.
That's because the fluid is cold and thick, making the line pressures real high.
Unread 10-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootht99 View Post
just wait until it gets down to -45...
hahahahaha

After about -10 it's all the same I think.

X2 on frozen linkage, AW4's warm up fast...so typically the first few shifts are hard and then it smooths out from there.
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok cool thanks guys, I was really just curious about what was actually going on
Unread 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Same problem here. The shifts I can live with, but when I got in mine this morning I couldn't push in the button on the gear shifter to get the f'er into gear. I also can't just run out 10 min before I want to leave and start her up, because it won't idle when it is cold (I am collecting info to troubleshoot this issue). I have to have my foot on the gas to keep it running for a bit. It is usually ok after I get going and can idle after about 1/4 mile when I get to the end of my development, but takes a few minutes if I'm just sitting at idle in the driveway.

I'm glad the shifter issue is probably just a frozen linkage. It WAS below 20 degrees this morning. I know that's not -45 as mentioned above, but I live in the f'n south. Isn't it supposed to be warm down here?
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

silly cold temperatures. it was about 80* here on sunday.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I would like it to just STAY between 65 and 85. I miss Hawaii
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Same problem here. The shifts I can live with, but when I got in mine this morning I couldn't push in the button on the gear shifter to get the f'er into gear. I also can't just run out 10 min before I want to leave and start her up, because it won't idle when it is cold (I am collecting info to troubleshoot this issue). I have to have my foot on the gas to keep it running for a bit. It is usually ok after I get going and can idle after about 1/4 mile when I get to the end of my development, but takes a few minutes if I'm just sitting at idle in the driveway.
your idle issue is probably related to your IAC. It's probably partially stuck in place until it warms up enough to move and let enough air in. I've got a similar problem where it'll stall out at idle after I get it into gear.

We've got a cold snap in my area, I work nights at the local hospital and the last 2 mornings when I left work, my gas pedal wouldn't move. Guess I got a little moisture in the cable from a storm on Sunday and it freezes the line. Had to kick the pedal to free it up. At least it's an easy fix... the rain/freeze also messed up my TPS (lebaron hood vents). Fortunately they have a lifetime warranty from Pep Boys.
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I started collecting info in a word document. I am going to clean out the TB and IAC, check/replace the TPS. Not sure how to check the MAP sensor, but priced it at O'Rileys for $40 (1 year warranty) or $60 (lifetime warranty). Plus I am going to get around to installing my eddlebrock header and bypass the CAT. After all of that we'll see how she is idling and what kind of gas mileage I'm getting.

Oh, and I have the Lebaron vents as well, but haven't installed them yet. I have a 165 degree thermostat installed and the HEEP won't go over that temp wise even without running the electric fan that is hooked up to a switch. I have a 195 degree thermostat to install, but haven't gotten around to that yet either
Unread 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
phmaris
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post

Woke up to -6* this morning you jackas

Cant wait to get out of the Midwest!
phmaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yay for battery draining. I'll no doubt have to try and hook up a second battery or jump it from another vehicle to get it to start ... then the transmission comes haha. Bah I hate the cold

Some automatic transmissions don't like cold. Has anyone tried putting the transfer case in neutral and the transmision in drive? I do this a lot with manuals in the winter.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post

haha silly californians.....sunday i worked a 12 hour shift outside, -5* straight up and -30* with the windchill and its not even cold yet lol, i'd be sweating my balls off at 80*
'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.