Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #61
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_T View Post
Looks great. Any pics of the tire carrier build would be greatly appreciated. I received mine a couple weeks ago (minus some parts and no paperwork enclosed). Looked at a lot of pictures online, but it looks like the design has been changed several times. Mostly interested in the area near the main pivot and the latch area. Also I think I'm missing some bracketry for where the wheel mounts to the carrier but I'm not sure. Still waiting for the remainder of the parts so maybe it will make more sense when I get everything.
Looks like it happened to you too eh? PM me your email and I can send you the directions that they gave me and and just give me a list of what pictures you want. I had mine since January and was waiting till I got further in my build and for some real instructions, never really happened.

Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #62
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got this thing out to run up and down the road yesterday. I've never had death wobble and I always see people complain about it, but I got up to 70 with no stabilizer and it not even being close to aligned and it didn't even make a shudder. Had some issues with the floor getting hot and a few bubbles in the bedline popped up, ordered some exhaust wrap to wrap around the muffler and some adhesive heat barrier stuff to hopefully deal with that. Also ordered my rear shocks (Bilstein 5100s), rear BPEs, a cover for the winch, and a license plate bracket for the tire carrier. These "should" be the last few things I need to order, but stupid stuff always pops up.

Here's a quick little picture at how it flexes out from when I was checking bump stops and measuring for shock lengths. I'm really happy with how it is, and can't wait to get it out and on some trails. Current plan is a 4 day weekend at Rausch in August as a little birthday present to myself. There is one thing I'm sort of concerned about, at full compression and on the bump stops, the leaf is ever so slightly going into a negative arch, but only in front of the wheel, behind the left spring perch, it's not even flat and still has arch in it. I thought about moving the shackle back one more spot, but when I rock the Jeep a bit, the shackle still has room to move back. I've never really seen or read anything like that, is that just how a leaf set up is and is nothing to worry about or is it something that I should be concerned with?
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #63
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hit the muffler with heat wrap and got some adhesive heat barrier stuff on this thing today, haven't driven it around yet to see if it works but fingers crossed. If I'm honest though, I'm not sure how long the wrap is going to last being exposed on the underside. While I do have additional belly height from the 35s and extra lift, I just feel it's going to be wasted money. If it gets me through this year though, I suppose I can say it's worth it. Perhaps next winter, I'll pull the transfer case and do a better job of putting some heat shielding up and replace the beat up exhaust in the process. Getting it licensed tomorrow, aligned Wednesday, and inspected, hopefully, Thursday or Friday.
Unread 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #64
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Right when I thought this heep was all ready to go, got inspected, insured and registered all smooth, then the radiator starts leaking. New CSF 2 row all aluminum radiator ordered.
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #65
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looking good! thing should be tip top shape
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #66
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator installed, transmission flushed, trans cooler relocated, oil changed, oil pressure sender broke. Haven't taken it out yet because I need to get some more trans fluid in it, gonna drive it out to Rochester Wednesday to see some friends and give it a good test. I did have it idling in my shop and it was sitting just a hair above 210 on the gauge, or at least how it used to be. Hopefully this solves my cooling issues, if not, the only things I can really think of to replace would be the fan clutch and the water pump.
Unread 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #67
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't been working on the Jeep the past week because I've been dealing with other stuff. Computer died the day after I got my radiator in (if it's not one thing, it's another), so I've been spending the week putting the new one together.

I would have liked to have spent the week getting ready for Rausch in a couple weeks, but oh well, fecal matter happens. New Bilsteins still haven't come in, or even shipped for that matter, thanks Amazon. Still need to get the trailer plated and go over brakes and lights on it. I'd like to have new tires for my pickup, but I really don't see that happening financially.
Unread 08-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #68
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ugh, I feel like I'm chasing ghosts on my temp issues. Took it out today to a semi-local wheeling spot and over heated twice, both of them going up long hills. I know I need to replace the e-fan because at some points it was spinning fine at full speed, others it would barely be moving, you could stop with your finger and then it wouldn't even try to start unless you spun it by hand to kinda of jump start it (pulled the plug for the thermostat to force it on). The other weird thing I noticed is that when my gauge on the dash was reading 260 and the "check gauges" light was on, I got out and nothing was boiling over in the over flow bottle. Honestly it doesn't look like the fluid level has changed at all in the bottle since I filled it. I'm gonna be ordering a new electric fan, temp sensor, and ZJ fan clutch (just for ****s and giggles) but as far as I can tell, I've replaced everything short of the water pump. My Jeep only has 93k on it and I'm not getting any leaks or noises from the pump so I'm not really seeing how that could be bad. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'm going to Rausch in 3 weeks and don't really want to stop every 5 minutes to let the thing cool off.
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #69
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Woo weekend projects. FlowKooler water pump, ZJ fan clutch, new E-fan, NTK O2 sensors, Champion Copper Plus plugs, Denso plug wires, distributor cap, coolant temp sensor, and serpentine belt. Also gotta run new brake lines all around on the pickup, gotta love when one bursts on you the week before you plan on towing down to Rausch.
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #70
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Your jeep looks great. That table full of parts should surely solve your overheating issues. Take lots of pictures at Roush. I'm surer you guys are gonna have a blast.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #71
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Woo weekend projects. FlowKooler water pump, ZJ fan clutch, new E-fan, NTK O2 sensors, Champion Copper Plus plugs, Denso plug wires, distributor cap, coolant temp sensor, and serpentine belt. Also gotta run new brake lines all around on the pickup, gotta love when one bursts on you the week before you plan on towing down to Rausch.
Not sure if the clearance on your '97 is the same as my '01, but when I swapped to a ZJ fan clutch there was a guy on NAXJA that told me I'd wanna swap my motor mounts. I thought there was no way my fan would get into my radiator.

I now run BrownDog poly mms that I installed while rebuilding my cooling system. And the ZJ fan clutch is now in the spare parts pile.

Just sayin.........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #72
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Not sure if the clearance on your '97 is the same as my '01, but when I swapped to a ZJ fan clutch there was a guy on NAXJA that told me I'd wanna swap my motor mounts. I thought there was no way my fan would get into my radiator.

I now run BrownDog poly mms that I installed while rebuilding my cooling system. And the ZJ fan clutch is now in the spare parts pile.

Just sayin.........

I have brown dog rubber mounts. Did yours contact the radiator? Before or after you did the poly mounts?
Unread 08-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #73
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
I have brown dog rubber mounts. Did yours contact the radiator? Before or after you did the poly mounts?
No mine hit the rad before I had swapped motor mounts. Like I said, I thought the dude was crazy, no way that bigger fan clutch would hit the radiator.

"You'll want to upgrade your motormounts with that bigger fan clutch", he said.

I didn't listen.

I had to replace my radiator after tearing into it at the tail end of a good day of wheeling. When I did I replaced all my cooling system components and while I had everything outta the way I replaced the stocker mms with the BD poly mounts.....and I put a new oem size clutch in.

Great product they have IMO.........

If you've already swapped in upgraded mms then you're good to go I just thought I'd throw that out as food for thought.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #74
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
No mine hit the rad before I had swapped motor mounts. Like I said, I thought the dude was crazy, no way that bigger fan clutch would hit the radiator.

"You'll want to upgrade your motormounts with that bigger fan clutch", he said.

I didn't listen.

I had to replace my radiator after tearing into it at the tail end of a good day of wheeling. When I did I replaced all my cooling system components and while I had everything outta the way I replaced the stocker mms with the BD poly mounts.....and I put a new oem size clutch in.

Great product they have IMO.........

If you've already swapped in upgraded mms then you're good to go I just thought I'd throw that out as food for thought.
Gotchya. Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with how little the motor moves around with the brown dog mounts compared to my fairly new OE mounts that I had prior. I'd hate to have to replace the radiator, considering I just put it in. It's a 2 row, but it looks about the same thickness as my OE one so I think I'm pretty good in terms of space between it and the fan, the 3 cores are the only ones I've read having issues with the ZJ clutch.
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #75
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got everything installed this weekend and everything went pretty smoothly. Old pump came out without issue, I was crossing my fingers that the fins would be all chewed/rotted up. Unfortunately it looked like this.

That being said, the new pump and fan clutch definitely helped, a lot. I'm now idling at 210 and if I bump the RPM up to 1500, it drops to 207 (probably lower if I held it longer than 30 seconds). Going up a long hill, it never got to the next line after 210, if I had to guess, it might have hit 218. Still a little warmer than what I want, but a huge improvement over idling at 216 and hitting 240+ going up the same hill. I could probably put a 180* stat on it and it would get to where I want, but considering the one in it is brand new, Ill think about that for next time. It could just be non sense, but to me, I can see how my lack of proper gears could have an effect on it since I'm still at 3.55 and it has to work the motor harder to keep moving. Also the ZJ fan clutch wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be, I can definitely hear it more, but it's not roaring like everyone says. Don't have any pictures of the new stuff in, but there's nothing really to see. Tomorrow I gotta do brake lines on my pickup (figures a line bursts the week before I have to leave) and then I'm off to Rausch for 4 days as a birthday present for my self.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.