Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #46
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

4.56 gears, instal kits, and carrier for the 30 acquired for $300, I may not instal them for a couple months, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. In other news, I've been making some progress on the XJ. Last weekend I got the rear shock mounts cut off the axle and cleaned up, got the axle it self mounted to measure for shims. Long arms are stripped of old, flaking powdercoat and repainted. Front axle is de-scaled and ready for paint after I sand blast it. Also got my brown dog motor mounts in and my Currie steering should be here tomorrow. Have a friend coming over this coming Sunday to help with some stuff. Our goal is to get the front axle, steering, track bar, and motor mounts installed so that it can sit on it's tires off the lift to measure for drive shafts. I still need to shim the rear axle but I have yet to really find any threads with instructions on how to measure for them. Is it really just as simple as putting something solid between the rear pinion and transfer case output, measuring the angle and then figuring out the difference between the two to get the degree shim you need?

Anyway, after all that is done, it should be fairly straight forward to getting it moving. All I'll really have left to do is brake lines, rear shocks, and mounting the winch and seats. I'm starting to get that giddy feeling of finally being able to drive her after more than 6 months of it being in hibernation.

Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #47
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post

still need to shim the rear axle but I have yet to really find any threads with instructions on how to measure for them. Is it really just as simple as putting something solid between the rear pinion and transfer case output, measuring the angle and then figuring out the difference between the two to get the degree shim you need?
Anyone?
Unread 05-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #48
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Are you running a standard 2 ujoint rear shaft or a double cardan?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #49
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

SYE with a double cardan shaft.
Unread 05-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #50
JeepN4KC

Well I know you pretty much want the pinion pointed at the output shaft but this link gives some better in depth how-to:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ft/index2.html

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #51
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Good news, it's sitting on all 4 tires again! Still have to set control arm and track bar lengths properly but I just wanted to get it to the point that they're in and I can figure out where I'm gonna need everything to sit. Also got my new motor mounts in and found a drive shaft for the front.

Bad news, 2nd drive shaft I found isn't long enough for the rear and is maxed out at ride height, so I'll be getting a new tom woods one for that. It's sitting a lot taller than I wanted it too, granted there's no weight with the interior gutted, bumper not done, and winch not installed yet. Really hoping it settles down at least 1-2 inches once it gets weight in it.

Either way, I'm happy that it's sitting on it's own again with the lift arms to the side. Next steps are going to be ordering a few minor parts, getting the rear buttoned up, front linkages all set to right lengths and new hard lines for brakes.

Unread 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #52
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got a number of things accomplished this weekend. Leaf spring shims in, control arms are set, new hard brake lines all around, steering in, and winch installed.

Things left to do:
Rear axle shock mounts
Instal drive shafts (possibly order new one for rear)
Order rear shocks
Fix driver's seat mount and frame
Clean and bedline interior
Alignment
Bleed brakes
Have rear bumper built
Reinstall interior
Tighten/double check every bolt I've touched in the past 8 months
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #53
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Small update, nothing really picture worthy. Got all the brakes sorted out, new hard lines all around, and adjusters for the rear. Seat mount is welded back in, kinda crappy for now, we'll see how it holds up. Planning on getting it on the trailer to take to my friend to get the bumper built and rear shock mounts welded on. After that, all I really have to do is bedline the interior, order and instal rear shocks, get the interior put back together, and get it inspected/registered. Can't wait to finally drive her again.
Unread 06-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #54
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

First time out of the shop in 8 months.

Currently it's off at my friend getting the shock mounts welded on and bumper put together.

Current to do list:
Instal rear drive shaft (need to get new bolts to attach to the transfer case, lost one and supposedly they are a dealer only part because I haven't been able to find a matching one in any hardware store)
Bedline floor
re-install interior trim and such
order and instal rear shocks
adjust bump stops
insure, register, inspection, and alignment.
Unread 07-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #55
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bumper done!

Shock mounts also got welded on, floor patches finished, 3 coats of chassis saver on floor boards.

Bed lining the floor tomorrow and re-instaling the interior the day after. Work is done until the end of summer, I just need to stop procrastinating (and stop forgetting things at the store >.<)
Assuming things go right this week, I should be back on the road next week. All I'll really have left to do is order/instal shocks, and adjust my bump stops.
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #56
drseus38

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep is looking great great rear bumper I got the same one an love it keep up the good work
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #57
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseus38 View Post
Jeep is looking great great rear bumper I got the same one an love it keep up the good work
Did you add lights for the 3.5" holes? I want ones that will work as reverse lights but haven't really been able to figure out what I want. Don't really want to spend a huge amount on them but don't want to buy garbage either.
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #58
drseus38

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle
Did you add lights for the 3.5" holes? I want ones that will work as reverse lights but haven't really been able to figure out what I want. Don't really want to spend a huge amount on them but don't want to buy garbage either.
No I haven't yet I kinda wanted to do the same but haven't gotten around to it
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #59
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Bumper done!
Awesome - now you can pull it from your test rig and sennd it on to me.............:-P

Very nice! Me likey.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #60
Brent_T
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great. Any pics of the tire carrier build would be greatly appreciated. I received mine a couple weeks ago (minus some parts and no paperwork enclosed). Looked at a lot of pictures online, but it looks like the design has been changed several times. Mostly interested in the area near the main pivot and the latch area. Also I think I'm missing some bracketry for where the wheel mounts to the carrier but I'm not sure. Still waiting for the remainder of the parts so maybe it will make more sense when I get everything.
Brent_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.