Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #31
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I can understand the logic, for sure. I just dont see it being feasible for the application. Stray sticks just dont find their way through floorpans enough to warrant trying to form 1/8" steel into the shape of a floor pan.
Is there some material thinner than 1/8" that would still be tougher than stock pan?

Unread 03-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #32
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Is there some material thinner than 1/8" that would still be tougher than stock pan?
Im not sure what the factory pan is constructed of but I see no real reason to go thicker than 16g steel for the pans.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #33
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just want to get pre-formed pans, I don't have the fabrication knowledge and considering I've had to wait over a month just for a friend with a welder to come over and help me finish 1 frame rail stiffener, I'd like to keep it simple. I'm not worried about getting impaled because I don't drive over mass Burmese tiger traps. If a branch does get up there, I've probably got more to worry about than it going through fresh steel floor pans.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #34
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Went ahead and ordered the ones from Raybuck.
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #35
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Small update: Floor pan came in, friend came over to help instal that and finish the passenger side stiffener. Got all the prep done and his welder **** the bed, wouldn't keep a steady arc on anything. Tried different plugs, new steel, different grounding points, it would just pop and spit while only dropping puddles on the surface with no penetration. On top of all that, I went down to fiddle with getting a bit of the bumper started, and I slip on the slush and drop straight onto my tail bone. I really can't seem to catch a break. So I'm some what out of commission until I can walk without going through excruciating pain, it also makes my day job a real pain in the ***, literally.

On a more positive note, I got a large package delivered today that I never ordered. Turns out I have the best girlfriend in the world for her to get me this.
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #36
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Made a lot of progress today for once. The bit of nice weather has been some good motivation.

Got the passenger side frame stiffener welded on, so that can be checked off the list.

Got about 1/3 of the floor cut out

And got the main section of the rear bumper tacked together

Also got the shackle relocation brackets mocked up and ready for final instal once everything is cleaned and painted. On a side note, while I like how the bumper over all looks, I'm really not happy with Dirtbound Offroad. The bumper itself never came with directions, and when I asked for them, they said they didn't have any. The only option was for me to take pictures of what pieces I had (some of which turned out to be missing) and, in an email, be told where/how they go. While they sent me the missing pieces free of charge, the directions I was given were extremely vague and completely wrong in some parts. For example, the brackets on the bumper itself, the email said that they got welded in 3/16" of an inch from the outside of the main piece. When I tacked it on that way, it was no where close to where they needed to be for the brackets in the frame rails, which needed them to be at 3/4" from the outsides. I was told they lost all the directions when they switched their website around, but I would think with all the DIY kits they sell, especially with the recent sales they've had, that getting a new set of instructions would be a priority. Either way, I have all this week off so I'm gonna soldier through it and get as much done as I can.
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #37
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got the shackle relocation brackets done and installed. Also got the rest of the floor pan cut out, just have to do some fitments to get the new one in.
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #38
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Looks like you've been getting some good time in on the XJ.....nice!

I wish I had a lift............makes things so much easier.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #39
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great build so far. Don't know how I missed it
Unread 04-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #40
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Looks like you've been getting some good time in on the XJ.....nice!

I wish I had a lift............makes things so much easier.
Thanks. Being 6'9" and not the most mobile person ever (knee and back issues) the lift has been probably the only way I've been able to work on it myself.
Unread 04-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #41
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Thanks. Being 6'9" and not the most mobile person ever (knee and back issues) the lift has been probably the only way I've been able to work on it myself.
I hear ya on that one man! I wish I had access to a lift.. Good thing I got small friends that all drive built TJs
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #42
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I finally pulled off the drive shafts the other day and discovered one had a trashed centering ball, the other needed the dust cap re-set, so I took them both to fleetpride to get looked at. Turns out both are trashed. The splines are worn and seized, both centering balls are gone/going, and all the u joints are garbage (no surprise on that one). So instead of paying $235 to have fleetpride re-build them, I'm gonna be getting some new tom woods shafts. Downside is that some of my other plans have to take a back seat. Gonna hold off on new shocks for the rear to see if I can make my current ones work to hold me over till I can afford the ones I want, and I'm probably not gonna go with the Currie Currectlync steering that I wanted. I'm still gonna do something for steering, I'm just not sure on what though. I was thinking of the JCR 1 ton set up, anyone have any input on that or other suggestions? I don't really want heims for the steering because I don't like how quick the wear from getting dirty, friend of mine has had his ruff stuff steering on for 6 months and already needs heims for it.
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #43
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like an awesome build! Def gonna keep posted here

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #44
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got the floor pan in, I still have a few small patch plates to cut and burn in from where I cut too far and the few bad rot spots. Also ordered new motor mounts. Still don't know what I want to do for steering though. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and get the leaf springs installed for good and the rear axle to the point that I can see what degree of shims I'll need, also gonna try and get my shock mounts cut and raised up.

Unread 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #45
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Started a little bit of painting today that doesn't include primer. I don't like glitzed up Jeeps but I still like functional things to look nice, at least until they get all scraped up. I probably could have done a nicer job on the details but it's just a dif cover (I should point out that this is also before I put the clear coat on and it does look nicer now). This is basically gonna be the color theme of my underbody, gloss black on the axles and the steering linkages and long arms are gonna be bright blue. Also going to order new shock mounts because my current ones are too beat up to really make it worth raising them, that and I have to replace one of the studs anyway. MORE makes one specifically for the XJ that has the opening for the U bolt so you don't have to move them inward, granted they cost more than ruff stuff ones, but I don't mind paying a little extra for convenience. I'm also leaning towards the Currie steering again. Still not a fan of reaming the rod end holes that you need to do for the JCR kit, and I kinda prefer the chromoly tie rod. I still have time before I have to decide on that though. I should be getting the rear axle actually mounted this week/end since I don't have to do a bunch of extra stuff for work and will have some time, getting the right size bolts for the shackles would help too

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.