Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Callelle's 1997 Cherokee Country - Zombie Hunter

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Does anyone know the actual length of Rubicon Express' 4.5" coils (RE1310)? I just got mine today and they just seem smaller than I pictured. The only thing that I've found that shows the dimensions were on amazon saying that they are 24" long and mine measure to 21". Also there was no packing slip in the box and the only numbers on the springs themselves is RM60010-1744, which Google reveals to mean nothing. One again, I'm probably fretting over nothing, I just want to be sure I got the right thing.
Pretty sure you got the right thing, my coils are labeled with that number (best I can remember, just looked last week when I swapped axle shafts). I also thought they appeared shorter than I expected. Best I can recall, I counted 14 coils on my old Rough Country 4.5" coils versus 12 coils on my RE's. Hope that helps somehow.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Pretty sure you got the right thing, my coils are labeled with that number (best I can remember, just looked last week when I swapped axle shafts). I also thought they appeared shorter than I expected. Best I can recall, I counted 14 coils on my old Rough Country 4.5" coils versus 12 coils on my RE's. Hope that helps somehow.
Thanks, like I said, I'm probably just fretting over nothing. With me being so over my initial budget and still needing to buy more for it, along with other expenditures that have come up, I really can't afford to get the wrong things.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks, like I said, I'm probably just fretting over nothing. With me being so over my initial budget and still needing to buy more for it, along with other expenditures that have come up, I really can't afford to get the wrong things.
I completely understand. I dont make as much money in the winter months as I do in spring through fall. That, plus the cost of heating this damn house over the winter has really cut back on frivelous spending, so Ive had to really lay things all out and determine what mods Ill get the most out of for the money.

Keep up the good work though, man. The build is looking great.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got the rest of the carpets pulled today to get the full story of how bad the floors were.

Driver's side is pretty much gone, the rusty spots that don't already have extra ventilation in them are all soft. Driver's side will get an entire new pan.

Passenger side is pretty good though. There are a couple soft spots, but I'll just be cutting those out, cleaning them up and patching them.

In the back there are a couple surface rusty spots, but they're solid, so I'm just gonna wire wheel them down. Not gonna bother with carpets, gonna bed line the floor instead.
Unread 03-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

True story. You'd think offering friends to pay them in greasy food and alcohol would make them wait at my door step.
Where do I sign up?
Unread 03-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have any opinions on where to get replacement floor pans? I was just gonna get them from Raybuck but didn't know if anyone had any other opinions/options. These are what I was gonna get http://raybuck.com/i-88824-1984-01-j...iver-side.html
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How many zombies have you killed?
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #23
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 03-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #24
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Anyone have any opinions on where to get replacement floor pans? I was just gonna get them from Raybuck but didn't know if anyone had any other opinions/options. These are what I was gonna get http://raybuck.com/i-88824-1984-01-j...iver-side.html
When in the woods and thick (sometimes sharp) branches poking up and sometimes hitting floor pan(s), I've often thought a thick floorpan would be a lot safer.

The stock floor pans aren't very sturdy, even when new. Rust would weaken them further. Impalement seems possible.

How about a 1/8" thick floor pan? It'd give you protection on unkept forest trails.
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Uh oh. You're a serial killer.

Zombies aren't real. They're a figment of your demented imagination. Those were real people you killed. The good news is with luck you might be sent to a mental institution instead of prison.
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

When in the woods and thick (sometimes sharp) branches poking up and sometimes hitting floor pan(s), I've often thought a thick floorpan would be a lot safer.

The stock floor pans aren't very sturdy, even when new. Rust would weaken them further. Impalement seems possible.

How about a 1/8" thick floor pan? It'd give you protection on unkept forest trails.
Uh........no.........impalement is not going to happen.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Uh........no.........impalement is not going to happen.
Probably not, but I've felt branches hit my floorpan hard enough my feet could feel it through the pan. I'm in Pacific Northwest where our branches are bigger than in the East. Like our unnamed hills are as big as Eastern mountains. And our mountains are on a scale unseen in the East.

So I doubt you've experienced the same scale branches I have from large trees here.

The branches fallen (or cut) lying on ground here can rip out a tire sidewall. So why not a floor pan? They've scraped my floor pan hard enough (occasionally) to flex it upward a little. And those were scrapes aka glancing blows. I've never had a direct hit yet, but the though of it makes me want a thicker floor pan.

Driving through a clear cut here can mean driving over large branches. Same can happen on forest trails here.
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #28
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Probably not, but I've felt branches hit my floorpan hard enough my feet could feel it through the pan.
I believe Ive come far closer to getting impaled by trees coming at me through an open window lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I believe Ive come far closer to getting impaled by trees coming at me through an open window lol.
My point is, if he's going to have to replace pan anyway, why not use something tough like 1/8" plate.
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #30
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My point is, if he's going to have to replace pan anyway, why not use something tough like 1/8" plate.
I can understand the logic, for sure. I just dont see it being feasible for the application. Stray sticks just dont find their way through floorpans enough to warrant trying to form 1/8" steel into the shape of a floor pan.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.