Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Buying out of state advice?

797 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sidlaroo 
#1 ·
Looking for a clean xj to keep for a long, long, long time as a dd. Had a 2001 for 12 years that i loved, but sold it because the back seats don't have head rests and have regretted it ever since. The problem is that in Minnesota pretty all of them have rust so I've been looking out of state.

Is it nuts to get one from ebay without checking it out in person?
Is it worth it go for low miles (under 100) and pay more?
Are there any car buying services that find and ship used cars?
Do you trust dealerships?

I'm not mechanical and loathe buying cars. Any advice would be really appreciated!

#2 ·
Looking for a clean xj to keep for a long, long, long time as a dd. Had a 2001 for 12 years that i loved, but sold it because the back seats don't have head rests and have regretted it ever since. The problem is that in Minnesota pretty all of them have rust so I've been looking out of state.

Is it nuts to get one from ebay without checking it out in person?
Is it worth it go for low miles (under 100) and pay more?
Are there any car buying services that find and ship used cars?
Do you trust dealerships?

I'm not mechanical and loathe buying cars. Any advice would be really appreciated!
I have bought one car out of state. I'm in IN and it was in DC. It is a '00 Ford Contour SVT. I used Auto Trader. The experience was OK. It was from a Dealer. I think the car might have hit something as one of the wheels was bent. Might have been me. I did fly in and stayed with my sister and BIL.
Some Ebay dealers will allow you to inspect the vehicle after purchase. I think in that case, you should cover their fees, if you chose not to take it. Only difference is if it was totally mis-represented.
There are places that ship vehicles. Also, might see if there are National type used car dealers in your area. Some will ship vehicles from one of their affiliates in other regions.
As for low mileage, that is something only you can answer. Condition of the body is what I look at. But that is probably what is implied with Low Miles. I've got my eye out for one, if a deal comes by. I did pass on one with 125K and for $3200 or so. Not sure I could sell the two I have at that time. Having problems selling the one.

#4 ·
I hadn't thought of trying a national dealership. I'll do some research on it. I have been looking on Autotrader - they seem to have the best selection.

Thanks!
Be careful if you buy from the southwest. They tend to be completely free from ruat but the climate is really hard on clear coats and undercoating. Would be worth having a paint shop redo wither or both ASAP if you get one from a desert state.

#5 ·
Yes, vehicles do suffer from the SW sunburn & rubber & cloth deteriorates. However if you purchase a light colour sans metallic, those seem to hold up best. Buying from a private owner is recommended so that you can check out where the vehicle was kept (garage or not?). Also the question of warranty which is silly imo but often included in the price is difficult to access from across country. A national company might be different but most do not deal in older vehicles. The rust free bodies I have seen in salvage yards hereabouts would make anyone from the Rust Belt cry. Another area to consider is the Piedmont region or the western areas of east coast states & of course Tennessee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.