Buying Advice Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Buying Advice Needed

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
helmetface

Buying Advice Needed

Alright guys, I've been scoping out XJ's for a while now as a new DD(something I can beat on-love that straight6 and that will handle well in the wintertime) Would have loved to find a 5spd, but alas they are so few and far between..

That being said, I've narrowed it down to two locals:

2000 XJ with 83k, auto - Good Condition, asking $4300
No modifications

1992 XJ with 200k, auto - Decent Condition(needs one rocker replaced), asking $2800
4" Lift, Tuff Country sx6000 shocks, 4 Leaf Springs suspension & 1 inch shackles

Here's the catch though, I'd like to do a modest lift, something in the area of 3-4.5" which the older XJ already has. The 2000 XJ is a bit more than I am willing to spend right now, and I don't think I can talk him down to my budget at this time. So, I know that already narrows down this "one of two" to a "one of one" situation..What I'm more concerned about is making sure the lift was done "properly"?

I'm great with cars/mechanics, however I have 0 experience with lift kits. I am not concerned with the work involved, just wanting to be sure I don't increase the wear on my suspension/tires and obviously I don't want the "death rattle"

That being said, what do I need to inquire about with this lift kit to understand what I am getting in to completely?

Do all lifts require and SYE kit?(remember it's 4")

What else can I inspect to ensure the Jeep's geometry has not been compromised? I'm used to race car alignments on cars barely 4" from the ground let alone something lifted that much more haha

Thanks in Advance, very much so looking forward to joining this community and starting yet another money pit in my life

helmetface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
helmetface

Hey guys the 2000 is down to 3k and I'm wanting to jump on it.

I asked the buyer about leekage and what not and his words were "it's got a little rear main seepage like all jeeps do"

Can anyone verify/comment on this??

Thanks!
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Rear main seal is a pretty common issue. Fairly easy to fix since you don't need to remove the trans.

If it's clean I'd pick it up. I still see 00-01 XJs with under 100k on em at big dealerships for $8-10k around here and they don't sit on the lot long at all. We had a 2001 at my dealership a couple months back with like 65k on it. It was fairly clean but not showroom quality. It sat on our lot less than 6 hours before someone shelled out $13k for it.

I'd stick with stock if you're using it as a DD. Not all XJs will require an SYE. Over 3" a lot will, some won't, just depends on the Jeep. 97+ tend to need them more than older XJs do.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
helmetface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Rear main seal is a pretty common issue. Fairly easy to fix since you don't need to remove the trans.

If it's clean I'd pick it up. I still see 00-01 XJs with under 100k on em at big dealerships for $8-10k around here and they don't sit on the lot long at all. We had a 2001 at my dealership a couple months back with like 65k on it. It was fairly clean but not showroom quality. It sat on our lot less than 6 hours before someone shelled out $13k for it.

I'd stick with stock if you're using it as a DD. Not all XJs will require an SYE. Over 3" a lot will, some won't, just depends on the Jeep. 97+ tend to need them more than older XJs do.
Hey motor thanks for the feedback!

I'm really super-excited to add the 4.0 to my engine forte'

Anyhow, 3k for thishdefinitely seems like a great buy. I going Sunday to really tear into it.

Two more questions for you or anyone:

This 2000 has a homemade intake. He did it very clean, however I curious do aftermarket intakes without some sort of tuning cause these 4.0's to run lean? Or other issues?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a cheap lift kit? I'd like to stat between 3-4.5" and this is more for looks than it is off road duty. I'm just looking for clearance and a beefier look.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Shouldnt be any issue with the intake. 4.0s arent picky about much but spark plugs.

Cheap and lift rarely mix. Search, there are thousands of threads out there on it already. For looks and a DD Id stay 3" or under, cheaper and you have to upgrade less stuff outside kits.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I personally would go for the older one, but that's just cause of the 0331 head that the 2000 most likely has. But I do like the newer interior
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

All 00-01 XJs have them, not a big deal. Just watch your temps and dont run overheated. Passing a good deal on a 00-01 over it is outright stupid and due to ignorance based on forum hype. Even if it cracks its a pretty easy and cheap fix. Also sort of a blessing because you can pickup mint ones with bad heads cheap and have a good DD out of it or flip it for not much work or cash.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
JeepAbout

If its a "cold air" intake I would suggest going to a junkyard and getting the old air box. I made the mistake of having one in my XJ for 8 years! I have read on countless forums about people saying its garbage. I've since replaced my intake with the stock box and I've noticed the Jeep idles and runs smoother. Low end torque is more evident and it isn't so loud. Cold air intakes and throttle body spacers are garbage. Just garbage.
JeepAbout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
helmetface

Thanks to everyone.

I'm lookkmg at the Rough country kits..those seem pretty complete.

From my understanding, I could install the 4.5" kit and if I don't have vibes I could be okay without an SYE?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Buy the rough country kit, dont believe the negative hype on the forum there great for the money
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAbout View Post
If its a "cold air" intake I would suggest going to a junkyard and getting the old air box. I made the mistake of having one in my XJ for 8 years! I have read on countless forums about people saying its garbage. I've since replaced my intake with the stock box and I've noticed the Jeep idles and runs smoother. Low end torque is more evident and it isn't so loud. Cold air intakes and throttle body spacers are garbage. Just garbage.
Depends on the intake. Yeah, cone filters in the engine bay are pointless and you're sucking in hot air from the engine bay. The same setup run from the cowl is totally different and beneficial.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would go with the 2000 since it is stock you can build it how you want. Also Tuff Country is a bottom feeder lift kit they ride rough and don't perform well offroad ( MY 99 Had a Tuff country lift the PO installed) I have since replaced it with Rubicon Express Springs and Teraflex Adjustable upper and lower control arms with Bilstein shocks it rides and performs much better
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would go with the rough country, I've got a rough country 3" on my 96 xj with 31's and absolutely love it despite the front tires rubbing the LCA's in sharp turns
96xjKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96xjKing View Post
I would go with the rough country, I've got a rough country 3" on my 96 xj with 31's and absolutely love it despite the front tires rubbing the LCA's in sharp turns
Adjust the steering stops or get wheels with better back spacing. My 33's don't rub on my RE lift

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I appreciate the advice, I'm already planning on adjusting the steering stops I just haven't had time lately to get around to it

Last edited by 96xjKing; 07-07-2013 at 05:12 PM..
96xjKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.