Buying a 99 XJ and dumping the F150. Thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Buying a 99 XJ and dumping the F150. Thoughts?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
ChrisLD

Buying a 99 XJ and dumping the F150. Thoughts?

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'd like some opinions on buying a 99 XJ, auto with the 4.0l, from a good friend. This would be replacing my 98 F150, auto with the 4.6l, 177k. My F150 is falling apart, and needs about $800 in parts.. more problems are sure to come. I'd rather not invest more in repairs on this Ford, but it was a free truck.

The XJ has 226k, some body rust, needs a valve cover gasket and a battery. 1 owner, got it brand new. It was well taken care of, fluids changed on schedule, newer wheels that don't leak, new exhaust. He will give it to me for $800. Later this week I'm going to take it for a drive, and check underneath for rust and just give it another look.

Heres a link for pictures of the XJ-
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4cye71cv7lsa572/dz6A9hHAnk

I'm thinking this is a fair price, and from what I've read about these it could have quite a bit of life left. What is everyone's thoughts, based on what I've described and the pictures in the link? This would be my first Jeep. My friend also has a nice 86 CJ7 but hes not parting with that

Chris

ChrisLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If it has that much rust and rot on the exterior I'd hate to see the condition of the floors and frame rails. I wouldn't touch that thing personally.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I live up in Canuckistan and see better examples for under a grand. That's a serious rust repair project.
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I agree with Motor and rug.

If you don't wanna put another $800 in parts for the Ford then why are you gonna put an initial $800 in on an XJ with far more miles and definitely needs more money put in it?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I feel dirty just LOOKING at that XJ. That thing might just need to be parted-out and scrapped unfortunately.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah man i live in new york to and search the whole state on craigslist alot, deffinitly better deals out there man. Specially if you dont want to go wheeling and just want a stock cherokee
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.