Buy '98 XJ with replaced head gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Buy '98 XJ with replaced head gasket?

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
hoya7127
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buy '98 XJ with replaced head gasket?

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a stock XJ to use as my DD. I found one with the following replaced. Does it look like trouble or do you think it's a safe bet? THe exterior looks clean, haven't seen it in person yet. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

'98 Cherokee Classic - Black
Miles 131, 700
New,
Brake pads front
Heater core
Steering pump
Head gasket
New battery
Starter
Alternator
Full tune up from dealer
Hid lights
Selling for 3700 or best offer no low balling

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Take it for a pre-purchase inspection Have them do a compression check and leak-down test

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Doesn't sound to bad hey have done some hard and expensive work with the head and heater core,but if you dont know your way around jeeps or motors I would get a good mechanic to go over it,check the floors real good and quarter panels they can rust they quickly.
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

$3700 is a bit high for a 98, but prices vary around the country. For instance, my mint 99 with 150k would probably fetch not much more than $3500 in MN.

If it checks out, I'd offer $3k.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
hoya7127
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. I didn't end up getting it. It was not in good condition Been having a difficult time finding a clean xj in Chicago.

The one I saw yest had mushy floor pans and rust all over ...the search continues.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
$3700 is a bit high for a 98, but prices vary around the country. For instance, my mint 99 with 150k would probably fetch not much more than $3500 in MN.

If it checks out, I'd offer $3k.
I was offered $6,000 cash last week to sell my mint 2000' XJ (109,000 miles)with 4.5" lift and new tires from a used car dealer! Where I live, nice XJ's get a really good price.Grand cherokees on the other hand are a dime a dozen and dirt cheap.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.