Budget lift shananagans...2000 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Budget lift shananagans...2000 XJ

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Budget lift shananagans...2000 XJ

Ok, I wish I had 1200 bucks to get a professional lift for my jeep. I bought it about 4 months ago and have done a little work to clean it up. New exhaust manifold to fix the "tea-kettle" problem. The two service garages I brought it to had no idea what I was talking about till I printed out some articles on it. I'm not as experienced with doing my own car repair but I did replace the radiator myself along with a replacement cooling fan and a dashboard component or two, so I'm getting better.

So my 235 tires are going bald. I need to get new ones ASAP (especially before winter) and I would love to put on some 31x10.5.15's (or a 9.5 inch tire, for some reason I really dig that thinner look). But I need to install a 3-3.5 inch lift first. I purchased a set of S-10 leafs for about 50 bucks off a 1999 from the junkyard and am pretty psyched to get working. I will be following BleepingJeeps videos on that.

I need coils though. From what I read the front coils off of a 91ish Thunderbird with the V-6 will work well enough.
-Are there any less expensive options to do it with actual 3" cherokee lift coils compaired to trying to us the thunderbird's coils?
-I have found an auto parts seller on eBay offering New replacement progressive style thunderbird coils for 60 bucks (free shipping). Is 60 too much should I try to find old used?
-I like BleepingJeeps usage of the ACO variable coil spacers but they are 200 bucks new, any other options for that? I know they aren't needed but is it worth being able to make that small adjustment to level it out after installing?
-I have a theory that getting new shocks will improve the quality of the ride on the road, how off am I?

If any of you guys have experience with this please chime in cause I have lots of questions and really want to give this a shot.

Thanks gentleman.

theHouseOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i don't have much experience with this but I'm interested in seeing how it'll turn out! looking at doing this myself at some point, are you going to do the lift yourself or have a shop do it? experience wise I'm in the same area as you, but I'm planning on getting my hands dirty, saving some bucks, and getting to know my jeep more
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thats exactly what I'm hoping to get out of this. Between the forums, websites, youtube videos and random people you come in contact with, there is a wealth of information out there on keeping these trucks running well for an extremely long times.

I will be doing all the work myself. If you haven't seen BleepinJeeps youtube video, do it. He has very detailed and very good recorded material on his youtube page.

I did search this topic as much as I could but a lot of the threads dedicated to this are a couple years old and I am looking for more up to date information.

It's monday, if I had an answer on the coils I would be starting to the lift this weekend.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All the info you need is here on the Forum. The old threads go all the way to the Beginnings of Time. Budget Boost and Bustard Pack are very productive search words.

Since decent lift coils are about $100 or so, it isn't worth the time/effort looking for, or pulling T-Bird coils. Aslo, check out the For Sale section for people who lifted higher and are selling their old stuff.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my 3 1/2" Tuff Country lift for $324.99 or something like that delivered to my door and it came with EVERYTHING...even brand spankin new rear leafs and more importanly, INSTRUCTIONS!!!. And despite what the web site says, IT CAME WITH SHOCKS!!!! 3 1/2" kit with shocks = best budget lift EVER. I am MOST pleased!!! Unfortunately, it looks like they don't offer the kit anymore . Seriously, just bought the kit like 3-4 weeks ago.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...xj-3_5inch.htm
Muddblood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

haha so you're telling me there was an incredible kit for sale cheap that you bought 3 weeks ago and now it's unavailable..... you are one evil sonofa*****... (i'm just kidding) I'm sure you are a delightful chap.

I found a pair a New (progressive style ) replacement coils for a thunderbird for 45 bucks on ebay from some aftermarket company. So... I would be at $100 so far for the leafs and coils and that would leave me getting some new shocks (new or used)
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Darkstardevil26
2002 WJ 

Another option, which is cheap. Go pull ZJ v8 front coils, they provide 1.5" of lift and do a 1.5-2" spacer on top of that. Coils at the junkyards I go to are 10$ a piece, and I got a set of used 2" spacers on here for 15$ shipped to my door. I also did the s10 rear leafs, with the above and sit at about 3.5" up front and 3.5"-4" in the rear. So with a couple odds and ends I also got such as extended rear brake line from a dakota, and longer front brake lines from a C1500, made some home made discos and aligned it myself using the online how to here. I'm maybe $150 in and that got me with rear leafs, brake lines, front coils, spacers, and JK black shocks. It's a nice ride, and wheels great for my needs.

-Jeremy
Darkstardevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeremy,

The local yards are all pricing zj coils at 40 bucks a set. I think I will just bite the bullet and order the Thunderbird Coils offline (new). At least I know they aren't beaten up. That leaves me with the last portion..... shocks.

What do you guys think on getting used vs new shocks. Also, what vehicles would be best to use? I have read that blazer shocks work sizing wise but who knows the condition of them. Anyway, if you know a good way around this let me know.

Thanks guys.
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Darkstardevil26
2002 WJ 

JK shocks are good for 3-4" of lift. It's what I've used on my past 3 budget lifts. You can find a whole set for 50-60 usually. You just have to take out the bushing sleeve on the rears. If you search it you'll see what I'm talking about.

They ride well, and for the price can't be best in my opinion. But as you stated s10/blazer rears will work also. But I've just ordered JK sets for my past builds from second hand people, of which just installed a lift and were trying to recoup some money.

-Jeremy
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So if I used a the JK shocks I would order a pair of standard sized ones? Or would I order JK shocks for a 3 inch lift?

Is Bilstein the way to go on shocks? It seems like they get most support on these forums.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHouseOG View Post
haha so you're telling me there was an incredible kit for sale cheap that you bought 3 weeks ago and now it's unavailable..... you are one evil sonofa*****... (i'm just kidding) I'm sure you are a delightful chap.
HAHA!!! Yeah, I did. If if makes you feel better, my kit was back ordered, most likely because so many people took advantage of the insane deal. I can scan the invoice in as proof iof ya want. But still, even piecing together a 3.5-4" lift from other vehicles for $150 is KILLER!!
Muddblood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Darkstardevil26
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHouseOG View Post
So if I used a the JK shocks I would order a pair of standard sized ones? Or would I order JK shocks for a 3 inch lift?

Is Bilstein the way to go on shocks? It seems like they get most support on these forums.
No stock JK wrangler shocks are good for 3-4" lift on an XJ. I bought mine second hand off of e-bay. Someone who was lifting the JK with only a couple thousand miles on it. They sometimes go on here in the classifieds. But you do need to either swap over the bar pins on the front pair, or make BPE's.

-Jeremy
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you cant find JK shocks, you can do mid 90's Explorer rear shocks. They are almost 5" longer but I ran them when I was on 3" lift no problem. They take minor modding like JK shocks but they are a lot easier to find for cheap.

Ive got a mini writeup on them a few posts down on the 2nd page of my build that may be of assistance.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...56/index2.html
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think I had read about your use of the Explorer shocks in that thread (It showed up when I used the SEARCH button haha) So you use the Stock Back shocks on the explorer for both front and back shocks on the XJ? Did the additional 5 inches cause any issues? I guess they really wouldn't be a problem since they would really only be about 2 inches longer than a 3" Lifted Shock? (I don't know if that makes any sense)

How was the on road ride quality using this shock over one specifically made for the Jeep like from Rough Country or Zone?

Is it worth a couple extra for a JK shock? I have read that they ride a little rough due the fact that the JK is heavier on the front end. I know I ask a lot of questions but this is my first lift and you guys all have your **** together with practical knowledge.

I ended up ordering a new set of Thunderbird Coils from an Ebay store for really cheap. They should be here next week.

Thanks again.
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just to chime in and subscribe. Stock jk shocks are far better then any rough country shock. Rc just throws in some cheap standard shocks to sweeten the deal and make people think holy crap I can get everything I need for 300 bucks. Even though there not specifically tuned for our xjs, alot of research and development goes into each and every factory part as they have to last for 100k miles plus and years to come. They wouldn't install shocks that last for 20k miles when they have factory warrentys of 80k miles or more. You wouldn't buy a brand new car knowing your gonna have to start replacing things like shocks in a short amount of time. Plus a name to hold up like Jeep. Can't go wrong
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.