brush guard or bumper with hoop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > brush guard or bumper with hoop

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 07-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Okemos00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

brush guard or bumper with hoop

I just got my first car and its a 2000 XJ and i already love it! I already want to beef it up and want to start looking for a brush guard but i've read in a forum that a bumper with a hoop of some sort would be better. Is that true? Also either way what are some good names or types. I don't really know anything about either so it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help guys!

Okemos00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Brushguards are more or less useless. I'd go with an aftermarket bumper with recovery points.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Okemos00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

bump
10 char
Okemos00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

brushgaurds do exactly what their name says... gaurds the lights and such from small bushes and branches when driving through the woods. They are kinda useless though as far as beefing up the jeep. They mount to the factory tow hook points so they don't really have enough strength to provide any protection. Steel bumpers are really thick and can protect the jeep better from damage since they are stronger than stock. Some aftermarket bumpers have hoops in them which look similar to brush gaurds that protect the headlights and grille.

heres an example of an aftermarket bumper with a brush hoop above it.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Brushgaurds are great for going off trail, and smashing through some bushes. Hit something substantian, and it will push back, breaking your lights, bezel, and other plastic parts.

A real bumper will protect the weak fiberglass bezel and front end of your jeep, while also allowing you to slide up and around rocks. ALSO, it will tie into the body, making it strong enough to be used as an anchor point.

I'm running a trimmed factory bumper, and I scraped it and cracked the caps hitting rocks.

Go to jcroffroad.com and check out the stage 3 bumper.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.