Broken piston / unloading a project Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Broken piston / unloading a project Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
leffler

Broken piston / unloading a project Cherokee

Hey all,

I have a 99 Cherokee that starting making an ugly knocking noise the other night. Initial opinion from a respected shop is that it's not a lifter and not a rod bearing, leaving a broken piston as the next likely culprit. So two questions:

1. How likely is this to be the actual problem? The shop hasn't dropped the oil pan to look for piston pieces.

2. I'm not really keen on dropping $4K at a shop to put in a rebuilt engine, and don't have time/space to do it myself. What's the chance that somebody would take it off my hands, and what's a ~reasonable~ asking price for a barely-running but otherwise good condition Cherokee.

Basic specs on the rig :

The good : 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport, Black, 4.0 L, 4WD, 185K miles, manual transmission. Never wrecked, recently rebuilt clutch with less than 10K miles , newer heater core and AC compressor, brand new alternator and parking brake, matching tires (similar in style / application to the stock tires) with less than 5K miles. Non-smoker vehicle.

The bad : One piston likely broken, engine block might be rebuildable. Radiator has a small leak. Brakes servicable but will need to be redone sooner rather than later.

I'm in the Portland, OR area, if anybody in my neck of the woods is interested in it, drop me a line here and I'll figure out how to connect.

Last edited by leffler; 07-23-2013 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Details
leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sure it's not the flex plate? They tend to crack and make a "knock"
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Shame your so far away,I would take it off your hands but I'm on the eastern side of the country.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
leffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
Sure it's not the flex plate? They tend to crack and make a "knock"
Thanks for the reply. I'm basically looking for anything other than a dead engine. Does a broken flex plate knock when it's not in gear? This engine does.

Last edited by leffler; 07-23-2013 at 09:59 PM..
leffler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.