Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Brakes

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
firstxj4x4

Brakes

Hey everyone! So I recently bought my first jeep a 97 xj. I want to be able to fix it myself to save money and to learn about it. The next thing that needs to be done are the brakes. My question I'm hoping someone can help answer is are they easy to do and what should I be prepared for when I do it.

firstxj4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

My first brake job just installing some new pads and rotors was easy... Look on youtube, its so simple. If there isn't a good jeep DIY (do it yourself) check out the subaru ones (thats what taught me) its all relatively the same. The fronts will take you for a first timer probably 15-20 min a side.

Take off the wheel. 2 bolts on both sides of the caliper. pop out the pads. Put in new pads (don't put them in on the wrong side). You may not have enough room to put the larger newer pads in so grab a Clamp to clamp the old pads to give you more room. Youtube will show you what i mean. GREASE THE BACKS.
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in a "moist" state or the rust belt, be prepared to replace the calipers too. Old calipers always seem to stick with new pads.
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in a "moist" state or the rust belt, be prepared to replace the calipers too. Old calipers always seem to stick with new pads.
He has a point^
Run to the store, grab calipers, pads, rotors, some brake fluid and a buddy and do a flush
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As stated, disk brakes are pretty darn simple. Drum brakes suck. Do one side at a time so you can use the other side as a reference when reassembling things.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Even if it takes you 2 hours to do one side you can still say you did it yourself. That's a good feeling. Never mind the fact that every time you do something yourself, you're saving tons of cash.

Discs are easy.

Break the lug nuts loose with tires on ground (If you're doing the left tire, before you start turn the wheel all the way to the right. This gives you more room to work.)
Jack up one side of the vehicle
Take the lug nuts all the way off
Pull the tire off
Undo the two bolts holding the caliper onto the caliper bracket
Pull out the old pads
Get a clamp and compress the calipers in so you have more room
Snap in new pads
(if you're changing rotors, pull off the rotor and put on new rotor.)
Put caliper back onto brack
Put bolts back in
Tire back on
Tighten Lugs
Done.

Drums are more of a pain, and i've never replaced mine. I just tore off the entire drum on my XJ and put discs in the rear. Much simpler.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.