Brake Fluid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Brake Fluid?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
carmike692000

Brake Fluid?

Ok, I apologize up front if this is a stupid, extremely easy question...but if so, maybe it'll just be the easier to answer.

I noticed that my brake fluid is a bit low when looking at the reservoir, and it seems as though I have to push my brake pedal a bit further to achieve the same braking power. So, I want to top it off a bit. Tell me about brake fluids. How particular is this sort of thing? Are there all sorts of different types, can they be mixed, do certain ones go with certain cars/brake systems, etc?

Basically, what do I need to do or find out to top off my brake fluid?

Thanks so much!

I hit teh NOS when I was at like 100 and my speedo bent around like 3 times, I guess I was going like 300 mph. It felt like I was sitting still, I ran out of road but luckily I was going so fast that I hit a bump and took off. I guess the Supra wing really helped out, luckily I landed in a lake and my wheels were spinning so fastz that I scrambled across it like those crazy scandanavians with their 4x4s that walk on wata. I go off of the lake just in time to hit a dirt field right before my flux capacitor quite.[/quote]
carmike692000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
carmike692000

No info?

I hit teh NOS when I was at like 100 and my speedo bent around like 3 times, I guess I was going like 300 mph. It felt like I was sitting still, I ran out of road but luckily I was going so fast that I hit a bump and took off. I guess the Supra wing really helped out, luckily I landed in a lake and my wheels were spinning so fastz that I scrambled across it like those crazy scandanavians with their 4x4s that walk on wata. I go off of the lake just in time to hit a dirt field right before my flux capacitor quite.[/quote]
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

There is different brake fluid types, DOT3, DOT4 and DOT5. As you purchase the appropriate DOT-level of brake fluid, you will also note that different poducts of brake fluid will list different boiling point temperatures.

I purchased my 98 with ABS brakes. Because of the ABS brakes, I was forced to use DOT3 fluid. When I flush out the old brake fluid, I personally purchase a heavy duty DOT3 fluid that has the highest boiling point available.

DOT3 & DOT4 are both glycol-based and are thought to be interchangeable. While DOT5 is a silicone-based fluid.

To the best of my knowledge is that our XJ's are looking for DOT3/4.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's not stupid. Brakes are pretty damn important.

You can add to your fluid. It's usually DOT 3, like McGrobe said.

The level of your fluid is only a little low, then it doesn't usually correlate with poor power. You may need to bleed your brakes, or inspect other components.

Bleeding brakes will improve your pedal feel by removing air from the system. (Reducing the "seems as though I have to push my brake pedal a bit further to achieve the same braking power")
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
carmike692000

Thanks so much for the posts and the info. Very much appreciated! Seems like I'll be looking for DOT3 or DOT4, then.

I know you're supposed to bleed your breaks after replacing calipers/discs, etc, since air can get in the lines that way. However, I had never thought about air just slowly seeping into the lines otherwise. Does/Can that happen?

Unread 07-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
mischf

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture over time and should be replaced every couple of years.
mischf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

and please remember only break fluid I have seen other people put other fluids in there mastercylinders and contaminate the entire system causing everything to swell and leak and it all needs to be replaced which if you have an abs set up can get expensive.
98muddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

If you pump your brakes does the peddle stiffen up temporarily? If so you have air in your lines and you should bleed your brakes. Even if it feels fine I would still do it if it hasn't been done for a few years.
30/44 4.88s Disks all around
Rear Detroit/Open front
littleblackXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
and please remember only break fluid I have seen other people put other fluids in there mastercylinders and contaminate the entire system causing everything to swell and leak and it all needs to be replaced which if you have an abs set up can get expensive.
ya a friend got a used car from a dealer and some one was dumb enough to put the wrong fluid in it, thus ruining lines, master cylinder, and some how computer components totaling like 2500-3000 bucks (that they got the dealer to pay) and the breaks still get stuck "on" some times, specifically on start up

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

you should never have to refill your brake fluid. if its low then you need to replace your pads or you have a leak.

It should get a flush about every 25k to 50k depending on use.

not that an XJ will get this hot but it may if towing and going down hill brake fluid can also boil which will need to be replaced after that ever happens
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.