Boxosaurus build... - Page 93 - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1381 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 AM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95

It can't be any worse than the welded rear I had.

Seriously I don't get we're some wrangler guys get their info from?

Like today I was in the passat and I saw a jk on 38s with stock axles...and he said it goes any we're and has no trouble wheeling Rausch

I <3 rockrash
So now it's a wrangler thing?

I just don't get why you wouldn't want a selectable rear...


I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Luke95
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harwinton
Posts: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

So now it's a wrangler thing?

I just don't get why you wouldn't want a selectable rear...
Why would you?

I <3 rockrash

5.2 ZJ Pushing a dana 30 as far as it will go.
Luke95 is online now  
post #1383 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95

Why would you?

I <3 rockrash
Didn't answer my question

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #1384 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

So now it's a wrangler thing?

I just don't get why you wouldn't want a selectable rear...
Money and hassle, lunchbox lockers are stupid simple
MattBillyTayloe is offline  
post #1385 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe
Money and hassle, lunchbox lockers are stupid simple
I know...I have one. I would think it would keep wanting to grab DDing though...

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #1386 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

I know...I have one. I would think it would keep wanting to grab DDing though...
I guess you'd get used to it. But that's why I only want a front, they don't kick in in the street, that and I spin tires alot lolz
MattBillyTayloe is offline  
post #1387 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe

I guess you'd get used to it. But that's why I only want a front, they don't kick in in the street, that and I spin tires alot lolz
and that's what I have. Mine makes no noise either.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #1388 of 1688 Old 08-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Luke95
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harwinton
Posts: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

Didn't answer my question
I wouldn't need it

To be honest I'm pissed I pulled the welded spiders. That was ****ing mint, always predictable and cheap. No wires or air lines to get caught up on.

Also I rock swampers and dd it so I doubt any kind of ratcheting will be noticed.

I <3 rockrash

5.2 ZJ Pushing a dana 30 as far as it will go.
Luke95 is online now  
post #1389 of 1688 Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
JeepCollector91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winterville
Posts: 57
Way too much debate on locker vs welded vs selectable.

My opinion for the rear: (like it matters)
If you are using it as your daily driver and/or on long road trips to get to and from your offroad destination, I recommend a selectable locker.
You will save money in the long run by not wearing down your tires prematurely on the street.

If you use your vehicle for local wheeling or trailer it to your offroad destination and it isn't your daily driver, go with a full time locker or weld it if you are on a tight budget.

I have a detroit locker in my 1986 Chevrolet M1008 CUCV and it does affect turning radius on pavement and eats up the tires quickly but is great offroad.
I have also welded a Ford 8.8 and Chrysler 8.25 with good results.

I am installing an Eaton E-Locker in the '87 XJ Dana-44 that is sitting in my shed to be used in my '91 YJ this time around.
A selectable locker works much better for long trips and overall drivability. They aren't cheap though.
JeepCollector91 is offline  
post #1390 of 1688 Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCollector91
Way too much debate on locker vs welded vs selectable.

My opinion for the rear: (like it matters)
If you are using it as your daily driver and/or on long road trips to get to and from your offroad destination, I recommend a selectable locker.
You will save money in the long run by not wearing down your tires prematurely on the street.

If you use your vehicle for local wheeling or trailer it to your offroad destination and it isn't your daily driver, go with a full time locker or weld it if you are on a tight budget.

I have a detroit locker in my 1986 Chevrolet M1008 CUCV and it does affect turning radius on pavement and eats up the tires quickly but is great offroad.
I have also welded a Ford 8.8 and Chrysler 8.25 with good results.

I am installing an Eaton E-Locker in the '87 XJ Dana-44 that is sitting in my shed to be used in my '91 YJ this time around.
A selectable locker works much better for long trips and overall drivability. They aren't cheap though.
I'm starting with a front either way, I plan on applying for an apprenticeship at the shipyard when I graduate, should leave me with alot
Of extra money for Jeep ****. Well I'll see anyway.
MattBillyTayloe is offline  
post #1391 of 1688 Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM
JeepCollector91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winterville
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
I'm starting with a front either way, I plan on applying for an apprenticeship at the shipyard when I graduate, should leave me with alot
Of extra money for Jeep ****. Well I'll see anyway.
Hope the shipyard plans work out. Should be a good career or at the very least a good learning experience.
JeepCollector91 is offline  
post #1392 of 1688 Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,769
Thanks man! Just found the intake I want for $99!!! Lowest price I've seen is 150!! I wonder if I lock in to buy it on eBay will it hold it for 7 days til pay day
MattBillyTayloe is offline  
post #1393 of 1688 Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,769
Commited to buying that ****! It will be mine upon payday!
MattBillyTayloe is offline  
post #1394 of 1688 Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM
JeepCollector91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winterville
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
Thanks man! Just found the intake I want for $99!!! Lowest price I've seen is 150!! I wonder if I lock in to buy it on eBay will it hold it for 7 days til pay day
Don't forget to set some money aside for any repairs that come up.
JeepCollector91 is offline  
post #1395 of 1688 Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCollector91

Don't forget to set some money aside for any repairs that come up.
I hate random repairs. Lol
MattBillyTayloe is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
thisthreadsucks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome