Boxosaurus build... - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Boxosaurus build...

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Closed Thread
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #766
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep
Iv done 4. Get yourself a c-clamp. Its easy.
Do I need one? Big vise grips won't work? maybe my neighbor has one

Unread 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #767
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Iv done 4. Get yourself a c-clamp. Its easy.
I agree. The leafs are underpressure when you take them apart. I wouldn't risk it with vise grips
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #768
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy79

I agree. The leafs are underpressure when you take them apart. I wouldn't risk it with vise grips
Will the clamp provide enough pressure to put them back together?
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #769
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe

Will the clamp provide enough pressure to put them back together?
Cclamp should work. Btw, have you taken your leafs off before? Penetrating oil is definately your friend
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #770
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Cclamp should work. Btw, have you taken your leafs off before? Penetrating oil is definately your friend
Pb blaster and no I haven't
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #771
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Might want to spray it and leave it set overnight. That front bolt is a mother******
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #772
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Might want to spray it and leave it set overnight. That front bolt is a mother******
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #773
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We've got a smaller c clamp, opens up about 6-8 inches, that'll work?
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #774
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If your just adding in an add a leaf to your existing pack, there is no need to remove the leaf pack via the front and rear bolt that go into the unibody. Jack up rear end, place jack stands under unibody, remove jack, remove wheels, and do one side at a time. Whatever side you start on, place your floor jack under the drum, end of axle, or shock mount. Pop the shock off the lower mount. Remove the 4 nuts (per side) holding the u-bolts on. Remove the u-bolts, once the u-bolts are out and the shock is disconnected, slowly lower the floor jack which will let the axle droop. Watch the brake line to make sure you dont snag it. Lower the axle enough to where the leaf spring center pin pops out of the axle perch and keep lowering it until you have a few inches of clearance between the axle perch and the bottom of the leaf spring pack. Once you do, take your c-clamp and clamp the leaf pack towards the center. Then take a vise grip and get a solid grip on the bottom of the leaf spring center pin (its like a bolt, the bottom is rounded and sits in the axle perch). With the bottom of the center pin secure, take a wrench and remove the top nut. Once thats done pop the center pin out and slowly unscrew the c-clamp. The pack isnt under a ton of pressure but if you remove the center pin without a clamp it could jump and hurt you. After the c-clamp is removed, all the leaf springs other than the MAIN LEAF will come out. For adding an add a leaf you dont have to pull the main leaf that is bolted to the unibody. Next add your add a leaf into the pack, typically towards the center/ between the top and bottom leafs, then check your friction pads. The friction pads are little plastic circles or squares that go at the ends of the leaf springs. They keep the leafs from rubbing and making noise. I did a lift kit on an xj and cut up an antifreeze container and made frictions pads with the plastic. After that, put the leaf pack back in place, clamp the pack tight, pop the center pin through (may need a longer center pin due to increased pack thickness after the add a leaf, I went to the hardware store and got a grade 8 allen head bolt since the allen head bolts are rounded and fit into the leaf perch). Once the center pin is in and the nut is tight, take the clamp off and put it towards either end of the pack in order to compress the leafs to where you can add in your metal leaf spring clamps. Typically one on each end. After that, jack the axle up and make sure the new center pinch goes into the center hole on the perch, pop in the u-bolts and I believe torque is around 65 ft. lbs. Hook up the bottom shock, check everything over, put the wheel on and your good.
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #775
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
We've got a smaller c clamp, opens up about 6-8 inches, that'll work?
That should do it.
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #776
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And there you have it from a pro lol.
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #777
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If your just adding in an add a leaf to your existing pack, there is no need to remove the leaf pack via the front and rear bolt that go into the unibody. Jack up rear end, place jack stands under unibody, remove jack, remove wheels, and do one side at a time. Whatever side you start on, place your floor jack under the drum, end of axle, or shock mount. Pop the shock off the lower mount. Remove the 4 nuts (per side) holding the u-bolts on. Remove the u-bolts, once the u-bolts are out and the shock is disconnected, slowly lower the floor jack which will let the axle droop. Watch the brake line to make sure you dont snag it. Lower the axle enough to where the leaf spring center pin pops out of the axle perch and keep lowering it until you have a few inches of clearance between the axle perch and the bottom of the leaf spring pack. Once you do, take your c-clamp and clamp the leaf pack towards the center. Then take a vise grip and get a solid grip on the bottom of the leaf spring center pin (its like a bolt, the bottom is rounded and sits in the axle perch). With the bottom of the center pin secure, take a wrench and remove the top nut. Once thats done pop the center pin out and slowly unscrew the c-clamp. The pack isnt under a ton of pressure but if you remove the center pin without a clamp it could jump and hurt you. After the c-clamp is removed, all the leaf springs other than the MAIN LEAF will come out. For adding an add a leaf you dont have to pull the main leaf that is bolted to the unibody. Next add your add a leaf into the pack, typically towards the center/ between the top and bottom leafs, then check your friction pads. The friction pads are little plastic circles or squares that go at the ends of the leaf springs. They keep the leafs from rubbing and making noise. I did a lift kit on an xj and cut up an antifreeze container and made frictions pads with the plastic. After that, put the leaf pack back in place, clamp the pack tight, pop the center pin through (may need a longer center pin due to increased pack thickness after the add a leaf, I went to the hardware store and got a grade 8 allen head bolt since the allen head bolts are rounded and fit into the leaf perch). Once the center pin is in and the nut is tight, take the clamp off and put it towards either end of the pack in order to compress the leafs to where you can add in your metal leaf spring clamps. Typically one on each end. After that, jack the axle up and make sure the new center pinch goes into the center hole on the perch, pop in the u-bolts and I believe torque is around 65 ft. lbs. Hook up the bottom shock, check everything over, put the wheel on and your good.
Dayum. Why do I have to undo the shocks? thanks though
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #778
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My next suggestion was to pm straight six lmfao
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #779
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy79 View Post
And there you have it from a pro lol.
Hahaha thanks bud! Not quite pro status but Iv been there and done that.
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #780
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
Dayum. Why do I have to undo the shocks? thanks though
Your shock will be at full extension before the axle drops enough to clear the leaf spring pack. You can try to do it without. Report back your findings.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.