Bought my first Jeep - an XJ - what to expect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Bought my first Jeep - an XJ - what to expect?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
cmvdub
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bought my first Jeep - an XJ - what to expect?

Hey everyone! I'm exited to say I'm now the owner of my first jeep. I've owned several toyota 4runners in the past and always loved those, however this was a deal I'm pretty sure I would be dumb to pass up.

I just picked up a 2000 Cherokee Sport. 4.0 Auto with 120k. I paid $1000. It needs brakes/rotors/ u-joints/ and front sway bar links on both sides.. once those things are taken care of I should have a pretty decent rig to start saving money to dump into.

Anything I should know as a first time XJ owner?

Once the current set of tires reach the point of replacement I was to go with a bigger tire, and will most likely lift. I'd like to go 33' but it seems more managable to shoot for 31' tires and a small lift.

cmvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Because of the price you got it for the first thing I'd check is if the head is damaged. The 2000 has the 0331 head. You can do a search to get all the info you need to diagnose and/or fix the issue. Hope it runs good
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
cmvdub
2000 XJ Cherokee 

From what I could tell it ran great. I took it for a drive to highway speed, it was quiet and powerful. Fingers crossed.

A big reason I got such a good price was I bought it from a friend who was just given a newer car.. he didn't want to put money into it and needed it off the road
cmvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvdub
From what I could tell it ran great. I took it for a drive to highway speed, it was quiet and powerful. Fingers crossed. A big reason I got such a good price was I bought it from a friend who was just given a newer car.. he didn't want to put money into it and needed it off the road
Not to scare you as I had a 0331 head on my 2000 xj and it didn't crack up to 150k but they will run "fine" with the cracked head, check the oil and coolant just to be safe other wise you could be looking at a complete rebuild. Most likely your fine but it doesn't hurt to check.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.