Bought my first cherokee- 1984 4dr 4wd 2.8l - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Bought my first cherokee- 1984 4dr 4wd 2.8l

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Yeah, it was successful because they changed damn near everything about it other than the styling. Pre-Renix XJs didnt make the vehicle a success, the 4.0 did.

Sales dropped off sharply before the 4.0 came out and AMC had planned on replacing it with the Grand Cherokee until sales shot up in 87.
I know what the sales numbers are, and I wouldn't call it a sharp drop in sales. Similar drops in sales happened between 89 & 90, 91 & 92, 93 & 94, 97 & 98. Yeah, I know the sales numbers. I mean, maybe consumer feedback back then was painting an unpleasant picture, but looking back on sales numbers alone does not imply to me that the XJ was ever struggling.

Back on topic: I'd stick to a 3.4 myself due to the ease of swapping then I'd shift my focus toward restoring and/or improving other areas. I mean, I'd drive the 2.8 for as long as it lives. It may be weak compared to a 4.0, but it still does the job.

mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I know what the sales numbers are, and I wouldn't call it a sharp drop in sales. Similar drops in sales happened between 89 & 90, 91 & 92, 93 & 94, 97 & 98. Yeah, I know the sales numbers. I mean, maybe consumer feedback back then was painting an unpleasant picture, but looking back on sales numbers alone does not imply to me that the XJ was ever struggling.

Back on topic: I'd stick to a 3.4 myself due to the ease of swapping then I'd shift my focus toward restoring and/or improving other areas. I mean, I'd drive the 2.8 for as long as it lives. It may be weak compared to a 4.0, but it still does the job.
I think sales numbers dropped off some, because when they first came out they had no competition. It was the only made in america small four door suv. Thats how they were marketing it in the ads ive seen from like 1984. Then the competion got there act together. Ie explorer, 4 door s10 blazer etc.
Thats why they continually improved the xj imo.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
MrElectric03
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Yep that's my plan. The 3.4 will swap in easy and ill figure out the fuel injection part, I have plenty of experience with camaros so ill pick one up,as a doner car. I wasn't planning on this motor running well but I'm going to run it am see how it goes.
MrElectric03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I wish I could find a car from 1984 in NY in that good of shape. I think that thing is awesome and would of also picked it up for that price.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.