BlueBadger's build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > BlueBadger's build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
BlueBadger

A few years ago I got a 4wd transmission and T-case. In stalled them but the T-case didn't last long. So I had to swap my 2wd tranny back in.

BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
BlueBadger

A few random pics.
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
BlueBadger

Built a rear bumper. But still not done with it. Wanted to wait till after I fab'd the tire rack.Which I did last night. This is how the bumper build started. A universal hitch that I had for years. A 7or8ft piece of 3"-1/4" square tube. I cut the tube in half and inserted the hitch tube. Fit like a glove. Braced it in a piece of angle iron and welded it solid. Then made some brackets and paint. All the parts I had laying around. All it cost me was time and money for paint.
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
BlueBadger

At some point last Sumer, I painted the bottom rocker with bed liner. Turned out nice. So I did the wiper cowl also. Cut the fenders also. Cut and fold on the rear.
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
BlueBadger

installed an oil pressure gauge.
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
BlueBadger

So I last night night I built my swing out tire carrier.

List of parts.

1- 7' stick of 2"x1/8" square tube.
1- 6' stick of 1.5"x1/8" square tube.
1- 2' stick of 2"x1/8" square tube.
1- HD spring pin latch.
1- 8" 1.3/8" solid steel bar.
1- 3" long 1.3/8" I.D. 1/4" wall chrome Molly tubing.
1- 4" long 1"wide 1/4" strap of steel
1- can of sealer.
1- can of high gloss high impact paint.
1- can of wax and grease remover.
Total cost for all parts about $70. Not bad.
I started by drilling a hole through the top of the bumper. Then dropped the 3" pipe down in it, and welded it solid. Then test fit. Used my buddy's shop for all this. Then used the plasma cutter to cut through the main beam. And weld in the steel bar. Mounted the latch and plasma'd the hole for the pin. Mounted the upright then the cross braces and the safety catch that the latch slides under.
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
BlueBadger

Unread 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
BlueBadger

I started building a roof basket this Sumer. Since mine dindnt come with one factory, I used self tapping screws to mount the factory rails. Because of this I need to bolt it solid with backing plates before I can finish and install the roof basket. Other wise it just won't hold. I'm going to wait till I redo the head liner to do this. But here's the basket I've got allot more done to it then this but no pics. All that's left on it at this point is to grind down some welds and paint it.
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
01RedDawn
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The rack is looking good and that tire carrier is awesome. Let me know how it holds up with the weight of the tire
01RedDawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBadger

I got the Jeep as a graduation present. Have allot of great memories in it, and didn't want to let it go. So I worked with what I had.
I am glad to see an xj stay on the road i have to say. It's cool you are keeping it around for sentimental reasons too. What are your plans for it?
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
BlueBadger

Well it's not going to be a hardcore OFFROAD beast. I want to build it to be an extremely capable "expedition" rig. Anything from hunting, camping and fishing to long haul backcountry treks. But I still want it to handle anything that I might come across.
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
BlueBadger

A few weeks ago I took the 4wd tranny and t-case to the shop to be completely rebuilt. All new bearings seals, synchros... The works! I also ordered an IRON ROCK OFFROAD SYE. The tranny need to have a new main inputshaft. New chain also in the t-case. The T-case rebuild kit came from Novak Conversion. Very complete kit!! The tranny parts came from the shops supplier, can remember the name future trans or something close, But they are out of Tenn, nice folks. And Novak what can I say? They are just great!! Hope to be doing business with them again very soon. They have a cable T-case shifter that replaces the factory z-linkage. Direct bolt In replacement. Runs Around $160 but awesome reviews! And I want it.

Because the fan clutch was bad as well as the stock electric fan. I wasn't going to just replace them... It was time to upgrade the cooling system. So I ordered a birtboundoffroad triple electric fan conversion kit. Flows a max of 4650cfm. Nearly triple that of factory!!
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #28
BlueBadger

Last Monday I ordered a new crate 4.0 to replace the one I blew up a month or so ago. Yesterday I picked it up and took it to the shop. Same one my buddy owns that's rebuilding the rest of the drivetrain. So hopefully it'll be back on the road in a week or two.

Ain't she purrdy?!!! Paid an extra $80 for one with oilpan, valve cover and timing cover installed. Well worth the extra coin!!!
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
BlueBadger

Once everything is back together I'll slowly start upgrading the suspension and axles. Oh yeah I replaced the front axles with CV joint axles last spring. I really want some lockers!! And a winch!!
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the market for a new motor also. With over 230 thousand, coolent being used up somewhere and the 0331 head id say I shoulld start saving. Where did you get yours
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.