BlueBadger's build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > BlueBadger's build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
BlueBadger

Ok, so I've been on here about a year. With all the mods lately, I think it's about time for a build thread. Keep in mind that I'm posting a build thread after the fact of doing most of the work. It'll take a while to post everything I've done till now. But I'll do my best to speed things along.

My XJ is a 92' sport 2dr factory 2wd Ax-15 and of corse a 4.0. Ive owned this same xj for almost 13 years. so my memory on all the mods may be just a little fuzzy. I don't have any pics of before due to losing them all in a house fire 4 years ago.
When I got it, she was bone stock and had just over 200k miles on the clock but ran great. The first thing was a RC 3.5" lift. Then finally swapped in 4wd diffs front and rear. And the T-case shift lever. Everything was very easy, direct unbolt and rebolt.

BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
BlueBadger

Then I threw on some 31" M/S. ran better then expected for still being 2wd. No T-case! Took a long time to come up with one.
Then I built a front push bar that bolted to the factory bumper. It wasn't bad looking but not what I really wanted. And the nice ones were way out of my price range!! So some time latter I built a new bumper that I love and am proud of. There are also two tow hooks welded on the inside of the bumper pointing down. They hang like a J. I'll try to get some pics of that this weekend. Jeeps at the shop right now.
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
BlueBadger

I then got a factory roof rack because mine did not have one. Installed it and a bunch of lights on it and the front bumper. The front lights are baja fox that I put 100w bulbs in. I have two smaller ones on the rear cross bar that are still 35w's.
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
BlueBadger

Got bored one day so I built a Granada shift knob. and repainted it.
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
BlueBadger

When I built the bumper I knew I wanted to put in a tow bar and maybe a winch mounted to a cradle. So I welded in two 2" hitch inserts. Never got to the winch cradle. But here's the tow bar I built. plugs right into the bumper and uses two hitch pins from the back side.
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
BlueBadger

Finally got some nice wheels and tires. 33/12.50-15 AT's on 15/10 pacer D windows with I think 4.5" BS. Don't hold me to the BS though. Lol

Oh and at some point I replaced the black fading grill with a chrome one and a black housing. Which I repainted black. I like the contrast.
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I dig that tow bar!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
BlueBadger

Thank you. It was actually quite easy to build. I can't even tell you how many times its saved me a tow bill over something as small as a bad water pump, fuel pump or dead battery. Very useful tool!!
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
BlueBadger

I spent some time on it this Sumer and did the doorless mod. A bit of a PITA!! But the end result was worth it. I used 3/8 quick pins from tractor supply. And replaced those PITA TX bolts with some stainless steel hex heads. Relocated the speakers to these unused speaker grills on the bottom of the dash. And just unplug the door chime connector when I take them off.
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
BlueBadger

Played with the high lift while changing brakes.
Last spring I replaced the shocks using rear F-150 shocks (they are about 4"'s longer). I got Monroe gasmatics from advance. Fronts were for a 95, rears were for a 98. I might have that backwards? Lol anyways the F-150 shocks were a pain. Had to remove the metal sleeve in the bushings (much easier said then done!!!) on both front and rear. Then press in my bar pins.(again, much easier said then done) In retrospect the cost saving wasn't worth the time it took, instead of just ordering longer direct fits! Next time I will just order some!
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
BlueBadger

Got these seats from a '03 tiburon. So cummfy!! Had to make my own brackets. Some day I'd like to replace them with some nice after market ones.
Side note. Even the guys at the JY know the right vehicle to use as a yard truck.
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thos seats do look really comfy... And this build looks pretty good. One question though... why did you start with a 2wd instead of a 4wd?
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed opcorn: I think your missing some important stuff.....
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #14
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893
Thos seats do look really comfy... And this build looks pretty good. One question though... why did you start with a 2wd instead of a 4wd?
I got the Jeep as a graduation present. Have allot of great memories in it, and didn't want to let it go. So I worked with what I had.
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95
Subscribed opcorn: I think your missing some important stuff.....
Such as? Lol the rest of the 4wd stuff. Yeah I'm getting to that tonight. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.